“Truly authentic Russian Cuisine”
Review of Stoli Bar & Restaurant - CLOSED

Stoli Bar & Restaurant
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 13, 2011

If you want to try authentic Russian cuisine, then Stoli is the place to go. Very friendly and attentive staff, reasonable prices (considering you are in Brookline Village) and great food. I would highly recommend the pelmeni, borscht, and beef stroganoff. Don't waste your time anywhere else, this is the best Russian cuisine I can find in the greater Boston area. The martinis are very good too. Be forewarned, the place can get very loud for dinner because it is very small....and dress warm on a cold night in case you sit by the door. Definitely highly rated Russian cuisine!!!

1  Thank Ebozz

Reviewed March 10, 2010

My husband and I went to Stoli for our anniversary dinner recently. I am not Russian, but he is ("straight off the boat,"). We loved the place! The atmosphere was very nice, and the food was amazing.

I had the Borscht and my husband had the beef stroganoff- both were so good we tried to get recipes for them. We can't even find Stroganoff that good in Russia.. and we've tried!

We also ran into friends of ours while we were there, and they and just tried some of the infused vodkas. My friend (who hates all things vodka) tried the honey vodka, and she actually loved it.
The servers were very attentive even though it was a very busy Saturday evening, and I never had to ask twice for anything, if I had to ask at all.

The wine prices are impressive! I normally don’t drink wine, but we got two glasses (the bottle would only be $18!) for our anniversary and it was excellent!

I would recommend this to anyone who it looking for good Russian food and a nice atmosphere. We ad no trouble at all finding parking, and it’s a fantastic date night place!

Reviewed January 27, 2008

If you're a Russian-American or just a Slavophile, this is a great little place to stop for a sophisticated and authentic Russian meal. Boston may not have massive immigrant neighborhoods like its larger neighbor to the south, New York, but every once in a while you can find an authentic little enclave of friendly immigrant culture even up here.

Some friends of mine who had just returned from living in Ukraine for 2 years were here to visit, and we wanted to see if we could find some fresh borsht just like babushka used to make. We called ahead to make reservations, and I'm certainly glad we did. The resturant is quite tiny, and since one half of the restaurant was reserved for a private party, that only left 3 tables for regular diners. The decor is quite plain, but the chairs were elegant and comfortable. Over the small bar was a flat-screen TV showing recent Russian and Ukrainian pop concerts.

Our drinks waitress was a little stand-offish, but the regular waiter was very attentive and professional. He was fluent in English, but also was very complimentary of our attempts to ask questions in Russian. A little later, the restaurant's jovial owner came out and chatted with us a bit in Russian about his hometown, Odessa.

Most of the menu seemed quite authentically Russian and contained most of our favorite classic dishes, such as borsht, solyanka, golubzi, and vareniki. The prices of the main dishes seemed excessively high to me ($18 for ground chicken, breaded and fried? In Ukraine I could buy that for a dollar!), but you can have a very decent meal just getting a soup ($5-7) and a hot appetizer ($7-12). Our soups were excellent, and most of the other things we got were all very tasty and attractively presented. I especially enjoyed the decadent puff pastry with mushrooms julienne, but the excessive amount of cream in it (Russians like to slather heavy cream on almost everything) upset my tummy a bit afterwards.

The restaurant carries a decent wine menu, but disappointingly none of the wines were from Eastern Europe. There's one Russian beer on the menu, Baltika, and of course a selection of vodkas. While Stoli might not be quite like visiting Mother Russia, I was still greatly pleased by the overall Russian-ness of the experience. Most of the other patrons in the restaurant were speaking Russian, and that, plus the good food and music, made for a great dinner out.

3  Thank Marywhotravels
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed January 13, 2008

quite place for your favorite russian delights. try the honey and mint infused vodka. yummy

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed January 5, 2008

Horrible place!!! Not recommended
We were on January, 5th, 2008 just for a regular lunch. . When we have entered the place was empty - one table has been borrowed only. The people ate up a last dish, their faces were sad. We should be leave at once. But unfortunately we decided to stay.
The meal was average, reminds Crimean food prepared very quickly (but not fresh) for one-time visitors.
In spite of we have asked to accept the order from us as soon as possible the waitress has not approached us until she has calculated previous table. (She did nothing all this time.). She didn’t smile at all, not even once for clients, and all the time she is behaving like she is our client not we are!!! She answered our questions very unwillingly and almost rude.WE FINISHED FIRST DISH AND THE WAITRESS DIDN'T CLEARED AWAY. THEN SHE BROUGHT NEXT DISH AND SHE WAS STANDING NEAR THE TABLE AND WAITING UNTIl WE CLEARED THE PLATES AFTER FIRST DISH AWAY OURSELVES! After she got a smoking break at the front door (outside, thanks at list for this) she didn’t ask us anything (like “Is everything OK!”), but she began to clean the near by table with chemical agent while we were still eating!
This “Stoli Bar & Restaurant” is the worst example of the Soviet service which now you won’t meet even in the former USSR.