“Really good beer but awful service”
Review of The Publick House

The Publick House
Ranked #9 of 206 Restaurants in Brookline
Cuisines: Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed August 2, 2013

The only reason I like going to this place is for the beer but, unfortunately, the service is miserable. The bartenders are incredibly rude and fairly judgmental.

1  Thank ConnorG19

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Met a good friend of mine here for a drink last week. It was very crowded, but we still managed to find a table. Over a few rounds we had a good time. Everybody else seemed to have fun. The bartender was playing Social Distortion, which made it a little cooler for me. I would go again. I did not eat, however.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

6 of us ate here. I had mussels in an Asian sauce. While the mussels were very good, the sauce was excellent! I enjoyed dipping bread in it. 2 from our group got varieties of the mac & cheese. OH MY!! It was so tasty that I googled a recipe after we got home. My husband has made it twice now to rave reviews from friends & family. AND: the beer selection is wonderful!( I am a hophead)

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I've loved this place in the past, but was very disappointed by my most recent visit. Two glaring problems:
1) I was over-charged for my beer -- The price on my bill was different than what it was listed for on the menu. False advertising or taking advantage of a customer's slightly inebriated recall? Not sure.
2) The menu listed two of our beers as 12 oz. beers, but they came in glasses that were 25 cl. glasses that equals 8.453 oz. That's a pretty significant discrepancy. No good explanation as to why this occurred.
I'm not sure we will return to the Publick House again. Just didn't feel respected or trusting after this experience.

3  Thank nanwind
Reviewed May 18, 2013

The Publick House in Washington Square seemed like the perfect “dive bar” for a bite to eat. After reviewing their extremely extensive beer list and limited food menu I surmised this is really a beer house that serves some food. The inside is a bit scruffy with dark wood tables and chairs that are a old and rickety looking and yellowing walls. The lighting that hangs from the ceiling has a gothic, monastery look to it. Not surprising when you look around and you see pictures of monks everywhere and even a “Monk’s Cell.” All of this adds to the old world pub charm of the Publick House and reminded me of local pubs back home in England.

Surprisingly I did want a beer to go with my lunch, not words that often come out of my mouth very often. I rarely drink beers and have to admit I am a total beer neophyte. I felt I would be ridiculed if I order a Miller Light, so I asked for help. Our stoically friendly waiter offered a recommendation of Weihenstephan, a lighter lager tasting beer. It was refreshingly perfect.

The menu is simple with standards of burgers and sandwiches but with some twists like the Mac & Cheese that you can literally add anything to, the Belgian Pork Meatballs and Fried Green Tomato BLT, which is exactly what I decided on, with a side of fries. The Fried Green Tomatoes are what intrigued me. Perhaps I should have gone to the Mad Russian myself for weight control :). This sandwich is enormous. It was like having a full cooked breakfast of eggs, bacon and tomatoes on toasted bread. It is ridiculously good, I mean super good and super tasty. I managed to get through half of it but not for the want of trying to finish it. Dipped in equal amounts mayo and ketchup the chunky, salted fries are wonderful.

My friend opted for the Burger with Swiss and, of course, fries. She did a magnanimous job at almost polishing off her entire plate. She said her burger was delicious.

As the sun streamed into the bar we sat back and relaxed for a while longer, while I enjoyed my beer. The wait staff, who looked beer intelligent intimidating to me, left us pretty much alone.

If I had to share any negative about The Publick House it would only be that we waited quite a long while for our lunch orders, however, on a sunny, happy day and my friend’s story of her experience with the Mad Russian, I was okay with the wait.

While we both thoroughly enjoyed our lunch and I very much enjoyed my beer, I am sure this place would be revered by true beer lovers.