“Good food (sometimes)”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Newton, Massachusetts
“Good food (sometimes)”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I enjoy the food at the Publick House: their mac and cheese is delicious, but the quality is hit or miss. The past couple of times we have gone, we've ordered fries as an appetizer and they are cut too short to use the dipping sauces.

They also have a decent selection of beer, but the service can be pretty lacking when the place is busy. We only got a chance to order beer twice over the course of a 2 hour meal, despite actively trying to flag down the waitress.

• Visited April 2013

“Delicious.”
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

I've been here twice and I love it. Good food, good beer, good service: it's a trifecta. Get the Mac 'n Cheese, seriously. It's a little loud, but not overly so. My only complaint, albeit a minor one, is that there is always a wait but that is simply because it is so good.

Boston, Massachusetts
“More fun on a weekday”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I love the Publick House even though I'm not a beer expert. It's got good food and a dark-wood, high-ceilinged, pubby ambiance, so I don't mind that it's not super cheap. But do yourself a favor and go at like 6 on a Tuesday to skip the wait and the loud bar crowd.
I try to get a new beer every time I go, and the waitstaff is great with recommendations. And the food is great! Get the mac and cheese with jalapenos, or the waterzooi if you like seafood.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank LilyK89
Syracuse, New York
“Beer lover's paradise”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I wish there was a bit more variety on the menu, but the BEER menu makes up for that and more. Publick House has a wonderful selection of bottles and draft, with many special trappist varieties if you are into that style. The atmosphere is very social, with a medieval pub feel and well-planned table and bar placement. The fries are awesome and the staff is very knowledgeable.

Visited January 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Excellent beer menu, especially with Belgian ales”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

The restaurant was very busy early evening on a Saturday as expected. We were told a 20 minute wait, but were seated within 15 minutes. The bartenders were quick even though it was quite busy, and the waitress who served us was attentive as well. We ordered chicken and cuban sandwiches, both were tasty, but nothing exceptional. I would definitely come back to try some different dishes and experiment with other beers.

• Visited January 2013