“If you are looking for a terrible night out.........this is the place for you”
Review of Matt Murphy's Pub

Matt Murphy's Pub
Ranked #23 of 210 Restaurants in Brookline
Cuisines: Irish, Pub
Reviewed November 15, 2011

What's not to like?..... Just about everything on my recent visit.

Decor: looks like a scene from a Dickensian workhouse. Everything is painted grey (there are a few photos from Ireland on the walls - is this so people will think it is an Irish bar?).

Comfort: most of the tables have benches on one side. The room is long and narrow - there was a cold draft from both the front door and the kitchen at the rear. Very uncomfortable.

Service: the very worst I have experienced in a long, long time. Gruff, rude and unhelpful best describes our experience.

Food was fine but really the experience was ruined by all of the above.

Finally, there is little if anything authentically Irish about Matt Murphy's Pub.

1  Thank Horseboxhero2010

Reviewed November 12, 2011

The food is fresh, very good, and interesting. Sioban, the owner, cares about food and you can tell. I like just about everything on the menu especially the fried fish sandwich and the lamb burger. The entrees are great too. Make sure you save room for dessert, absolutely the best bread pudding and panna cotta.

Reviewed June 11, 2011

Friends took us here when we were visiting from Philly. I've never eaten at an Irish pub before, and it was a revelation.

Our friends are regulars. The owner greeted them by name and served us herself.

Potato leek soup, hard cider, corned beef & cabbage (with root vegetables) were all delicious. Strawberry crisp and bread pudding were outstanding. My father loved the background music. The corned beef was still delicious 3 days later for lunch.

Reviewed June 6, 2011

I had been to this pub years ago and saw a great Irish trio and had a fantastic meal. We heard great things about Matt Murphy's from friends we were visiting in Brookline and for the most part it did not disappoint. It has changed since we were last there. It is more upscale now and somehow I liked the old bunny paintings better than the chic look of the current bar. The food remains delicious, if not a little too expensive for pub food. Where it used to be a place I would go for a beer or one of their house fruit-infused whiskeys, it is now a place I would probably only go for dinner

Reviewed May 27, 2011

We ate at Matt Murphy's on the recommendation of another guest in our hotel and everyone left happy. The food is simple but good: there is a delicious roast chicken, a range of sandwiches, fish and chips for my teenage son and a nice range of entrees for the adults. It was a little pricey for pub food but it was also not just pub food. All in all, a good choice.