“Delicious food in cozy atmosphere”
Review of Matt Murphy's Pub

Matt Murphy's Pub
Ranked #23 of 206 Restaurants in Brookline
Cuisines: Irish, Pub
Reviewed June 11, 2011

Friends took us here when we were visiting from Philly. I've never eaten at an Irish pub before, and it was a revelation.

Our friends are regulars. The owner greeted them by name and served us herself.

Potato leek soup, hard cider, corned beef & cabbage (with root vegetables) were all delicious. Strawberry crisp and bread pudding were outstanding. My father loved the background music. The corned beef was still delicious 3 days later for lunch.

Reviewed June 6, 2011

I had been to this pub years ago and saw a great Irish trio and had a fantastic meal. We heard great things about Matt Murphy's from friends we were visiting in Brookline and for the most part it did not disappoint. It has changed since we were last there. It is more upscale now and somehow I liked the old bunny paintings better than the chic look of the current bar. The food remains delicious, if not a little too expensive for pub food. Where it used to be a place I would go for a beer or one of their house fruit-infused whiskeys, it is now a place I would probably only go for dinner

Reviewed May 27, 2011

We ate at Matt Murphy's on the recommendation of another guest in our hotel and everyone left happy. The food is simple but good: there is a delicious roast chicken, a range of sandwiches, fish and chips for my teenage son and a nice range of entrees for the adults. It was a little pricey for pub food but it was also not just pub food. All in all, a good choice.

Reviewed March 15, 2011

You would never know by the outside look of it, what a gem of a place this is!!! Music playing in the background, waitstaff is very friendly, and the corned beef special on Sundays is out of this world! A bit pricey overall but well worth it!

Reviewed October 19, 2009

I'm not really sure what all the hype is about. We had the lamb sirloin sandwich and the beef stew... both were pretty average. On top of that, the place doesn't have a very nice atmosphere. The one bathroom is practically inside the kitchen. My major complaint, however, is with the service. Matt Murphy's tries to lean upscale with it's food, but the server was wearing a ratty old t-shirt and his pants below his butt. In addition to forgetting the drink that I ordered and never coming back to check in, we sat and listened to him chat up the bartender all night about traveling to California... please go already.

1  Thank wahoo7