“A nice place for tapas and sangrias”
Review of Barcelona

Barcelona
Ranked #1 of 205 Restaurants in Brookline
Cuisines: Spanish, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Barcelona meets Brookline, and a sophisticated Boston neighborhood has a wine bar to call its own. A historic town located minutes from downtown Boston, Brookline is the perfect mixture of urban and country living. From large estates and recreational parks to boutiques and pedestrian-filled streets, Brookline offers a city atmosphere in a suburban setting. Located in Washington Square at 1700 Beacon Street, Barcelona is the newest addition to this lively neighborhood dining destination. A mix of antique wire glass, steel and reclaimed wood gives our newly built space a vintage appeal. The rustic, polished environment is the next best thing to eating tapas and drinking wine in our restaurant's namesake city. With hardwood floors, floor-to-ceiling windows, and spacious patio, the space has a European charm which fills the menu as well.
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Went to Barcelona with my two friends. We got 6 different tapas plates, an assorted cheese slate and a pitcher of sangria. This was more than enough for us. Everything tasted really good! The kale salad was surprisingly delicious. We went there at 6pm with reservations and it was already full. By the time we left, there were a lot of people waiting in the bar area to be seated. If you want to try this place out, I suggest you place a reservation, especially for bigger groups.

There are newer reviews for Barcelona

Reviewed January 28, 2014

We had diner tonight and were very dissatisfied. The lights inside are so low we tought it was closed, we had a hard time reading the menu. The rap music(in a Spanish cafe???) was loud. The quality of food and drink was unacceptable: watered down, tasteless sangria, severely overcooked shrimp, tough, bland ribeye steak, cloyingly sweet chourizo, wrong sauce accompanying the root vegetables for the pork belly. Really, the only good thing was the hot tasty bread.
The menu has many salads but not enough authentic Spanish tapas and the tapas served are bland and without character.
Service was good and attentive but I think we will not return!

Jason B, Manager at Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Aurora

I am very sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your recent visit to the restaurant. I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are always trying to make our restaurant a better place for everyone. I would like to speak with you further about your visit if you had the time. I would also like to invite you back in to see if we can give you the experience that your looking for. Please feel free to contact me at any time.

Rob C
rcsonka@hotmail.com
617-264-8900 work
401-480-8543 cell

Reviewed January 27, 2014

As far as cooking classes go, it was pretty lame. They packed the room with about 50 people, the chef was hard to understand to begin with, plus the noise of the restaurant itself made it even harder to see. The lighting was terrible so you could not see what was being made. There is NO hands on work. If you want hands on cooking, go to Sur La Table or to the Boston Center for Adult Education classes which are both great hands on classes. The food was good but too salty for my taste. That being said, I have enjoyed the tapas here in the past and it is a great date night place with awesome atmosphere. The cooking class has something to be desired. It was $29 per person, not including tips and alcohol. I rather had just sat down and had a meal.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Always have a great time at the Barcelona restaurants, have been to the one in New Haven a few times and was pleasantly surprised to find this one in Brookline.

The food was delicious, albeit overpriced. Skip the croquettes, though, unless you want a heart attack on a plate. The gambas al ajillo were excellent (garlic shrimp) and whatever the beef special was called was TO DIE FOR! Perfectly cooked with the meat falling off the bone. Yum!

The cocktails were phenomenal. The service was friendly but rushed, people running around spilling things making it impossible to even walk to the washroom. Also the lighting was really funky, when we walked by the lights were turned down so low it looked like the place was closed! Made it pretty hard to read the menu.

All in all, very good food, service, and drinks so I would definitely recommend it!

1  Thank skybertha
Reviewed January 15, 2014

During our visit to Barcelona we sat outside as a party of 5, at around 8:30 on a Saturday night. We ordered two rounds of tapas and two pitchers of sangria. Being people who like to enjoy and take our meals at a relaxed pace, we are happy to take time and enjoy the company. However, service here was slower than a 'relaxed' pace, and the server was incompetent. The first pitcher of 'white sangria' was actually a pitcher of margaritas, and the server spilled about a glass of both pitchers on the ground (luckily we were on the patio, I'm not sure how he survives inside). In addition, we had to ask three times for one of the vegetarian tapas to arrive, which eventually arrived with the second round of tapas. I will not be returning.

2  Thank Kristin B
Jason B, General Manager at Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2014

Kristin,

Thank you for the feedback from your visit with us this past summer. I feel terrible about the service that you experienced, though. We try to create an atmosphere that allows the guest to dine at their own pace. Completely our fault if we misread the pacing and I will address this with our staff so any other of our guests don't feel the same way again. As far as the margaritas instead of sangria, that is very peculiar to me as this is a very different drink in preparation, presentation and execution and there has to have been a huge breakdown in communication for this to happen. Again, our fault on that and I will take the full brunt of responsibility with this. We will continue to educate our staff about the importance of clarifying all orders to ensure this doesn't happen anymore. Overall, there was a lack of attention to detail on your table and for that I apologize. I really wish you had reached out to me sooner as we are constantly trying to educate our staff and develop our staff to be better. Hopefully, no one shared that experience from our service staff. One of the things we pride ourselves on is our level of attentiveness and friendliness in service so to hear about your experience surprises me, while also drives me. We will be addressing your review in our daily staff meetings to ensure we don't see this type of behavior anymore.

I understand with this experience why you would choose to not return but I hope you do. As I said, we pride ourselves on the level of service we provide and I'm positive that if you would return that your time spent here will be significantly better. So much so that I would love to invite you to dinner on me. Please bring the entire group you dined with this summer as I would love to personally apologize in person and make sure you are taken care of the way we believe our guests should be. Please message me back so we can set up a time that you and your friends may visit us again, of course with my compliments.

Jason Boske