“Trendy!”

Barcelona
Ranked #1 of 203 Restaurants in Brookline
Cuisines: Spanish, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Barcelona meets Brookline, and a sophisticated Boston neighborhood has a wine bar to call its own. A historic town located minutes from downtown Boston, Brookline is the perfect mixture of urban and country living. From large estates and recreational parks to boutiques and pedestrian-filled streets, Brookline offers a city atmosphere in a suburban setting. Located in Washington Square at 1700 Beacon Street, Barcelona is the newest addition to this lively neighborhood dining destination. A mix of antique wire glass, steel and reclaimed wood gives our newly built space a vintage appeal. The rustic, polished environment is the next best thing to eating tapas and drinking wine in our restaurant's namesake city. With hardwood floors, floor-to-ceiling windows, and spacious patio, the space has a European charm which fills the menu as well.
“Trendy!”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Always have a great time at the Barcelona restaurants, have been to the one in New Haven a few times and was pleasantly surprised to find this one in Brookline.

The food was delicious, albeit overpriced. Skip the croquettes, though, unless you want a heart attack on a plate. The gambas al ajillo were excellent (garlic shrimp) and whatever the beef special was called was TO DIE FOR! Perfectly cooked with the meat falling off the bone. Yum!

The cocktails were phenomenal. The service was friendly but rushed, people running around spilling things making it impossible to even walk to the washroom. Also the lighting was really funky, when we walked by the lights were turned down so low it looked like the place was closed! Made it pretty hard to read the menu.

All in all, very good food, service, and drinks so I would definitely recommend it!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank skybertha

• Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
“Decent Food, Service could be better”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

During our visit to Barcelona we sat outside as a party of 5, at around 8:30 on a Saturday night. We ordered two rounds of tapas and two pitchers of sangria. Being people who like to enjoy and take our meals at a relaxed pace, we are happy to take time and enjoy the company. However, service here was slower than a 'relaxed' pace, and the server was incompetent. The first pitcher of 'white sangria' was actually a pitcher of margaritas, and the server spilled about a glass of both pitchers on the ground (luckily we were on the patio, I'm not sure how he survives inside). In addition, we had to ask three times for one of the vegetarian tapas to arrive, which eventually arrived with the second round of tapas. I will not be returning.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Kristin B
Jason B, General Manager at Barcelona, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Kristin,

Thank you for the feedback from your visit with us this past summer. I feel terrible about the service that you experienced, though. We try to create an atmosphere that allows the guest to dine at their own pace. Completely our fault if we misread the pacing and I will address this with our staff so any other of our guests don't feel the same way again. As far as the margaritas instead of sangria, that is very peculiar to me as this is a very different drink in preparation, presentation and execution and there has to have been a huge breakdown in communication for this to happen. Again, our fault on that and I will take the full brunt of responsibility with this. We will continue to educate our staff about the importance of clarifying all orders to ensure this doesn't happen anymore. Overall, there was a lack of attention to detail on your table and for that I apologize. I really wish you had reached out to me sooner as we are constantly trying to educate our staff and develop our staff to be better. Hopefully, no one shared that experience from our service staff. One of the things we pride ourselves on is our level of attentiveness and friendliness in service so to hear about your experience surprises me, while also drives me. We will be addressing your review in our daily staff meetings to ensure we don't see this type of behavior anymore.

I understand with this experience why you would choose to not return but I hope you do. As I said, we pride ourselves on the level of service we provide and I'm positive that if you would return that your time spent here will be significantly better. So much so that I would love to invite you to dinner on me. Please bring the entire group you dined with this summer as I would love to personally apologize in person and make sure you are taken care of the way we believe our guests should be. Please message me back so we can set up a time that you and your friends may visit us again, of course with my compliments.

Jason Boske
Barcelona Wine Bar - Brookline
Brookline, MA
“Great addition to Brookline restaurant scene”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I love this place! I go there with my immediate family (even young kids), extended family, friends- everyone is always happy! Great service, great food, excellent selection of wine, cocktails and sangria! Fun atmosphere, warm, inviting. I have been to Spain and Barcelona- these are playful versions of traditional tapas. Much better than Dali (In my opinion). I do love Toro in the South End as well, but Barcelona is in my neighborhood and I can take my kids there! One request- PLEASE bring back bread from Clearflour bakery! Your patrons would be happy to pay extra for it. Put it on the menu as a tapa. PLEASE!!!! We miss it!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Brooklinemom2013
“Just average”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Food and drinks are a bit overpriced and there is really nothing spectacular about their tapas selection and quality. Plus the wait was about 1.5 hours on Saturday night and the place was packed. If you want good tapas, go to Dali.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank magictoken
Westwood, Massachusetts
“Great Evening”
Reviewed December 31, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I joined a large group - 12 of us - the service and the food was great. Rather than ordering off the menu, the waiter suggested we go with a $ per person package. They had 3 levels 35, 45, 55. We took the 45, and everyone got a good variety and there was more than enough food.

Visited December 2013