“Tappas, the 8th wonder of the world.”
Review of Barcelona

Barcelona
Ranked #1 of 204 Restaurants in Brookline
Cuisines: Spanish, Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Barcelona meets Brookline, and a sophisticated Boston neighborhood has a wine bar to call its own. A historic town located minutes from downtown Boston, Brookline is the perfect mixture of urban and country living. From large estates and recreational parks to boutiques and pedestrian-filled streets, Brookline offers a city atmosphere in a suburban setting. Located in Washington Square at 1700 Beacon Street, Barcelona is the newest addition to this lively neighborhood dining destination. A mix of antique wire glass, steel and reclaimed wood gives our newly built space a vintage appeal. The rustic, polished environment is the next best thing to eating tapas and drinking wine in our restaurant's namesake city. With hardwood floors, floor-to-ceiling windows, and spacious patio, the space has a European charm which fills the menu as well.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Tappas, the 8th wonder of the world.”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

First of all, thank you to Spain for inventing tappas. And thank you to Barcelona for bringing them to Brookline in such style.

First, you have to sign on to the idea of tappas. You get a few little plates and sort of graze until you're full. I would recommend the chorizo and figs, grilled hangar steak with truffle sauce, and cauliflower ala plancha.

There is enough room to accomodate larger parties, but I would strongly recommend making reservations. We got there for ours on the early side (5:30) and by 6:00, the place was PACKED. On a Thursday, too. For this reason, it can get a little loud, but that's also part of the energy.

I went with a few friends to catch up and had a great time. This is definitely the kind of place that's more fun with more people.

• Turkish first
Boston, MA
“Delicious tapas--very unique”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is a great new addition to Brookline's already fantastic dining/bar scene.

The tapas are delicious and the menu features tried-and-tested favorites as well as some creative options. The chef is always rotating the menu. I was underwhelmed with the gambas al ajillo (one of my favorite Spanish dishes), but the incredible migas completely made up for it. Your best bet is to ask your (very knowledgeable) server for her recommendations.

Absolutely make sure to call ahead and make a reservation, as the queue is out the door, even on a midweek evening.

Boston, Massachusetts, US
“Barcelona - Welcome to Brookline!”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

As soon as the Barcelona restaurant opened in Brookline, we started getting recommendations from friends to checjk it out. Finally, we had dinner at Barcelona with another couple and enjoyed it very much! We had a few favorites, though. The lamb chops and steak tapeas were wonderful. The octapus salad and yellow tail were not that intersting. Also, if you are thinking of ordering the whole fish, do it and share. It's amazing and big enough for two people at least. You can get it whole or have the chef fillet it for you. The atmosphere is lovely and the decor very tasteful and cozy!

Boston, Massachusetts
“Great tapas; go at an off-peak time for best experience”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I was prepared to not like this place, since I was a big fan of American Craft and very disappointed when they sold the space. We tried to get in on a Friday night in January at 7pm, but the estimated wait was 2 hrs (lesson - make a reservation on a weekend night!) We came back this President's Day at 5pm and had better luck - although even then the restaurant was shortly half-full. I was very impressed with the service - we sat at a table in the bar area because it seemed cozier, and we had a server walk by every few minutes to refill water or bring something out or ask if we needed anything or clear plates. The attention almost bordered on annoying, especially when they tried to clear plates before we were done soaking up the delicious sauce on bread! But everyone was very friendly and attentive, and seemed knowledgeable about the menu options. We're not big wine drinkers so we went with beer - the beer list isn't extensive, only 4 beers on tap and maybe 20 bottles, but I appreciate that it had off-beat options and not the same old-same old. The crusty artisan bread is complementary, comes out warm and fresh, and my advice is to save the bread for the fantastic sauces! My favorite sauce came with the albondigas; the meatballs themselves weren't anything special but the tomato sauce was just slightly spicy and so flavorful. The truffled bikini was my second favorite, basically a delicate grilled cheese and ham sandwich with a delicious aioli dipping sauce. The two of us were full after only four plates because of the bread and sauce. The plates all came out quickly (we ordered two at a time) and the food was so hot we had to wait a few minutes for it to cool down to eat. When we left around 6:30pm the restaurant was really starting to fill up and the noise level was going up - that would be the one thing I didn't like, how noisy the space gets when it's full. I'll definitely be back to try more plates, but I'll try to go at off-hours when you don't need a reservation and you can easily converse with your dinner companions. Thanks for the great dining experience!

Boston, Massachusetts
“Great ambiance and fun menu!”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My boyfriend and I went to celebrate valentines day, and we had a lovely time. Plenty of different wines by the glass, which I especially appreciated, and the menu had a variety of unique and fun things to try! My boyfriend is not as adventurous as I am when it comes to food, so we had a hard time finding him a meat dish that didn't have lots of sauce, but other than that, we were satisfied.