“Great Find”

Good for: Romantic
New York State
“Great Find”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Recently visiting Boston, staying nearby, and wanted a good seafood restaurant. Based on TA recommendations, gave this place a try, and were not disappointed. Small (8 tables) place with open kitchen and I really enjoyed watching chef and chatting with him a bit. Good basic seafood (e.g. fried calamari appetizer), inventive specials and sides (e.g. marscapone risotto), and friendly service. We were there on a slowish weeknight and got there early (6:30 or so) and had no wait, but it did fill up before we left. Found just what we were looking for: a great seafood meal (including the entrée pictured on the TA listing) and a relaxing, enjoyable time. Would definitely return.

• Visited October 2013

Boston, Massachusetts
“It thinks its a classy joint, it IS NOT”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

The funny thing is, the Daily Catch has some kind of cachet around Brookline and Boston. I am at a loss to know where this phoney buzz comes from. We decided to have dinner in this little hole in wall place( which is not a slight, as I know a lot of very good holes in walls) on Harvard Street in Brookline. It was a hot day, and as we walked into the restaurant it was no less hot. My partner asked the waiter where the cool tables were and he waved us into a corner, which was maybe a degree or so cooler than the surrounding tables. The place was nearly empty, as we were a bit early. Our waiter, who apparently thought he was sophisticated because he was in a so called upscale eatery, simply came across as snobby and self obsessed. His tone was dismissive and his attitude worse. The restaurant became progessively hotter and when we asked if they could turn up the AC, they told us the heat from the cooking overpowered the AC. ( Really !!!, what is this, my dry cleaners??) I ordered the swordfish and for 26 bucks got a portion size that was barely 4 oz. My partner ordered Monkfish, which used to be chum for fisherman, but is now showing up on restaurant dinner plates as the "poorman's" lobster replacement as the flesh has a faint lobster flavor. Meanwhile the cost of a lobster around here is about $3 a pound, cheaper than monkfish. Her portion was more generous than mine perhaps a whole 7 oz, and was less expensive. The food what there was of it, was OK, but certainly not up the level of the buzz, and the waiter, he needs to be somewhere else. Frankly because of the pretension of the waiter the dumpy surroundings and gross over pricing, I would seek solace elsewhere. I will certainly never return here.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Belgedoc1
Tampa, Florida, United States
“Great Little Restaurant”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We have been to the other Daily Catch in Boston and really liked it. We had never been to this location before although we were told that it had been there for a long time. We will be back! If you want great, fresh sea food this is the place. The restaurant is very small but we were there about 5:30 p.m. (they open at 4:00 p.m.) and had no problem finding a table although I am sure it could be more difficult later. The menu is small but very good. Also enjoyed the wine that was recommended

• Visited August 2013
Skaneateles, New York
“Good service,beer & seafood”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Recommended by hotel and it did not disappoint; pasta and seafood and fried calamari were very good. Good wine and beer list....beer was cold!
Service excellent. Small place and luck of the draw to get a table. I would go back if I am in that area again.

• Visited April 2013
London
“Worth the wait, simply superb”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Fantastic value for money, simple fare brilliantly prepared, great presentation in the pan at the table. Warm and friendly. At the money it can't be beaten. Oh that there were more places like this. This place is a must-go-to for me every trip to Boston. Try the black pasta agile olio. Heaven on a plate.

• Visited March 2013