“Disappointing”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 21, 2013

This dark and all-wood tavern did not have a welcoming ambience. Granted it's a "tavern", but maybe better lighting or more mirrors would help make it more inviting. It was a special occasion and we ordered a bottle of Far Niente Chardonnay, a very pricey wine. When it came it was room temperature!!! and before we could object our waiter had the bottle open. He said it would be only minutes before it was cold, but with only an ice bucket to chill it we waited close to 1/2 an hour before we could drink it. Our waiter did offer to give us a free glass of wine to tide us over, but that's not the experience we were looking for.
Our dinner was just o.k. I had scallops that were interesting but nothing to write home about. My husband had the lamb skewer special which was overcooked and small. Overall not the experience we had hoped for given the TA reviews.

2  Thank nancyinct2016

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Between the amazing bar, countless and well selected beer and wine menu and the innovative food, nothing beats the Washington Sq. Tavern. It's just a fun and relaxed place to enjoy a great meal. Plan on a long wait on Weekends and if you can grab a spot at the bar, enjoy their wonderful appetizers with your drink.

7  Thank lcohen9
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Others recommended this nice neighborhood (not the Applebee's chain type) restaurant. Right on the corner in an affluent Boston suburb, can eat outside (when we visited, rainy and 40F.) Old style bar area, quaint table area - a bit tight, probably not best for large parties. My daughter and I both had the pan-seared sea scallops, expertly prepared, and probably the best I have ever eaten. Fresh, large (scallops), and nicely presented. Menu is very varied. Food is a-la-carte. On the menu that night was also lamb, pork, steak, and about five other entrees. All sounded very good, and I thought were all reasonably priced. (Our dinners were $ 24 each, drinks (beer and wine) between $ 6 and $ 10 - excellent selection of wine and beer.) Service professional, real candles, wood tables, nice decor, and the waiter cheerfully advised no dessert served - recommended the sit-in gourmet bakery (Athan's) across the street (good value there too.) Washington Square Tavern reminded me of the quaint side-street restaurants I had visited when in Paris. Recommend for couples and small groups, probably not kids. Also, I would gather is somewhat busy on weekend evenings, and as bar area and dining area are one large room, could imagine it being a bit noisy during peak times, though not when I visited. Can take the "T", tram stops right in front. Recommend!

9  Thank LIGINI
Reviewed March 28, 2013

The food is always good and the menu changes enough so you are never bored. Their burgers are 1st class, excellent selection of wines by the glass, great waitstaff. On my last visit I tried the veal sausage for the 1st time and was transported.

20  Thank Lewis S
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We went to the WST on Saturday. It was yes crowded because this was Valentine's weekend. We ordered drinks while we waited a half hour for a table. Let me preface by saying this is NOT a large place. Very intimate dining setting with low lighting and nice ambiance, but still has a "local bar" feel. Now be prepared to share a place with a bunch of people if you are seated at the long table in the middle of the bar. But you can also request a smaller table on the left side if the establishment. On the downside. my G/F requested a mixed drink and it was l-a-m-e- as in very weak. We complained and the bartender insisted that he put alcohol in it. Three of us could only taste juice. Te meal however was GREAT We had the duck spring rolls-very good- . And the Pumpkin & Sweet potato fritters -AWESOME- cooked to perfection and they are pictured by another reviewer. My g/f had the pan seared scallops so bountiful that she took some home and I had the chicken- also plentiful with stuffed mushrooms- really delicious. Our waiter was attentive and gave us suggestions for wine that were right on target. So besides the bad drinks we loved the food and the service!-This is a couples or business place-not good for kids

37  Thank Locationscout1