“Only average - was expecting more”
Review of Taberna de Haro

Taberna de Haro
Reserve with OpenTable
Taberna de Haro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #57 of 208 Restaurants in Brookline
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: St. Mary's
Transit: St. Mary's T stop, Green Line, C train
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I was looking forward to our dinner here having read the excellent reviews. However, we were quite disappointed in the service as well as the quality of the food. Our main courses were brought out at different times (this is the way it is done with tapas, it was explained; but we ordered main courses, not tapas) which led to bit of awkwardness with some eating and some waiting (there were 4 in our dining party). Additionally, the coffee/tea order -- which we asked to accompany our desserts -- did not arrive until well after our desserts were finished and their seemed to be quite a dismissive (or perhaps more generously, a disorganized) attitude among the waitstaff about this. All of this would have been tolerable if the food had been especially good, but it was not. Simply average cooking, nothing special. The restaurant certainly is popular. Perhaps it would be better not to get the main courses and to concentrate solely on the smaller tapas plates.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

We enjoyed a great meal at Taberna de Haro. The place was pretty crowded about 7pm. We started out buying a pitcher of sangria which was pretty good. Then we had chorizo, ESPINACAS A LA CATALANA ~ SPINACH, PINE NUTS, RAISINS, GARLIC which were very tasty. The fried calamari was just ok nothing special. The QUESO DE CABRA ~ WARM GOAT CHEESE ON TOMATO BREAD was really good also. The black paella was different that what I am used to but it was delicious. A welcome surprise. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I really enjoyed the ambiance, outside seating and service... that being said I care more about reviewing the food/drinks.

They have an excellent drink menu with a few specialized cocktails that we tried and enjoyed.

We got griddled pigs ears which was the best thing we ate all night. Crunchy, salty, it tasted like amazing bacon. The patatas bravas which I always get were some of the best and came with an excellent spicy red sauce. The sauce actually had a little heat which I appreciated since I hate it when they claim its spicy and its not. We got green beans with ham which was probably my least favorite dish of the night. It was still tasty, heavy on the garlic which I like, but the pieces of ham were chopped so small it was difficult to taste them, the beans overpowered the dish. Another great dish were the frogs legs. I loved the seasoning and garlic oil they were cooked in. Their were 3 good sized servings of legs, had a very clean "white-fish" taste.

Overall I really enjoyed the restaurant and look forward to going back with more people so I can taste additional dishes.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I liked the atmosphere, but it was ridiculously overpriced for what I received. $14.00 will buy you 10 tiny (smallest size) shrimp in olive oil. $7.95 will buy you 6 asparagus spears with a little bit of mayonnaise. At least the food was flavorful. Just wanted you all to know before you go. If you've got a ton of cash to spend, then enjoy.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Taberna de Haro used to be one of our favorite neighborhood restaurants. Ah, such nostalgia for what once was. We could sit outside and eat delicious tapas in a friendly atmosphere. No longer. They have recently doubled the size of the restaurant and skimped on both the quality of the food and the warmth of the reception. For example, they used to give a little bean puree amuse bouche with bread to nibble on while deciding what to order. Now they still have the bean puree, but it's $9. Nondescript bread came to the the table, but when we asked for olive oil to go with it, we were told that it was $12 for the oil. Portion sizes, even for tapas, were too small considering the prices. And finally, when we asked for help in ordering a wine, the server and the owner basically looked at the wine list and took a guess. No, we are not going back to what was one of our favorite places.

Been to Taberna de Haro? Share your experiences!