“Great Deli”

Zaftigs Delicatessen
Ranked #2 of 202 Restaurants in Brookline
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Syracuse, NY
“Great Deli”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Ate there twice as a family during a Christmas visit to Brookline. Both times the deli was quite busy, but the service was friendly and quick. Coffee quite good. Banana stuffed French Toast well worth an order (any time of day). Pancakes tasty, but will totally fill you up. Lovely ambiance.

• Visited December 2013

• Turkish first
Leland, North Carolina
“A Neighborhood Gem!!!!”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Carol and I had brunch here on Saturday, our 2nd day in the Boston area. We both had the San Francisco Joe's special. What a pleasant surprise, quite tasty and filling. The melted asiago cheese on top was a bonus touch.

Service was great despite being busy on a Saturday.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!

• Visited December 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Okay breakfast option in Coolidge corner”
Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

There are very few spots to get a sit down brunch on Coolidge corner so that gives zaftigs an edge. The food is pretty good but nothing special. On the weekend there is always a very long wait to get a table. A highlight is the bagel chips they offer in the beginning.

New York City, New York
“Just OK. Decent menu, spotty execution”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Coming from New York, we were looking for a Kosher-style restaurant that could deliver the goods for a Chanukah dinner. I was disappointed. The potato pancakes were fat and greasy. The knishes were ok. The pickles were good but had to be ordered separately and were an appetizer item. The place itself was extremely drafty and two of us ate with our coats on. I would suggest a table on the right side and in the back of the place so you don't freeze. Service was good but I was disappointed.

• Visited November 2013
Swampscott
“Zaftigs Delicatessen lives up to its name”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

"Zaftig" is a Yiddish expression meaning "pleasingly plump...full, shapely figure" and this delicatessen's motto is "Let us be your Jewish Mother". They are not kidding...today's lunch was one of the best deli meals I have had in years and was reminiscent of my own mother's and grandmother's cooking. Things evolved a bit over the years with my mother and with healthier cooking and recipe modifications, she was considerably less "Zaftig" than my grandmother. Nevertheless, nobody leaves this restaurant hungry.

While not kosher, this modified Jewish-style restaurant offers a wide assortment of dishes, including a gluten-free menu which I must have due to gluten intolerance. There were lots of choices for me, however, I focused right in on the stuffed cabbage because it was rumored to be very good and there aren't many restaurants that offer stuffed cabbage. It fully lived up to its reputation...rolled cabbage stuffed with meat and rice topped with cranberry tomato sauce, served with sliced challah on the side....delicious. I substituted gluten free bread for the challah, which was very good. I also ordered a side of mixed vegetables which were lightly (perfectly) cooked.

My wife ordered banana stuffed french toast which was also excellent and apparently another one of their specialties. Our remaining party ordered a "New Yorker" sandwich which is pastrami and corned beef on cissel bread, a tuna melt and a tuna fish sandwich with french fries. The french fries were the "best they had ever had" (not gluten free so I could not try), and the pastrami and corned beef was also excellent. Great tuna too. Plan to bring home half of your "New Yorker" and stuffed cabbage...too much for both of us to eat and too good to leave behind. Their coffee is excellent too, and our server was very attentive.

The lines can be long at breakfast but our wait at lunch was only 1/2 hour. It's worth the wait and we'll definitely be back after some exercise...

• Visited November 2013