“Acceptable breakfast not quite up to reputation”

Zaftigs Delicatessen
Ranked #3 of 205 Restaurants in Brookline
Cuisines: American, Diner, Delicatessen, International
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The so-so:
The famous corned beef hash was a disappointment. I like mine crispy and with relatively strong flavor. Zaftig's serves a soft-textured pink variety that seemed underdone to me with a taste tending toward the sour end of the scale. The coffee is weak. Order an espresso and pour it intro your regular coffee if you want to have a cup of joe that approximates the real thing.

The great:
The pancakes! These were to die for--light and fluffy and amongst the very best I've ever had.

Ambience was okay, and service was average, not excellent. All-in all, I'd rate this restaurant at 3-1/2 stars, and struggled a little with whether to award the fourth star or not.

There are newer reviews for Zaftigs Delicatessen

Reviewed January 25, 2013

So - anytime you want to go here, expect a wait, especially on the weekends for brunch time.

Once you get seated at your table, expect quick service, not all that friendly, and semi-decent food. After waiting 30-45 minutes, I'd expect more gracious staff and better tasting food.

I haven't yet figured out why there is always a wait for semi-decent food. I would much rather go to the town diner in newton for good diner food/experience.

Alas, this location will continue to draw people, including myself, but not as a first choice for a bite.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

service was spotty for a late breakfast. Had to hunt down the waitress for another cup of coffee, then she left the hot pot on the knee wall next to our bench. Food was average

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My family ate here while visiting my daughter in her new apartment in Brookline. I grew up with traditional delis in New Jersey. The food here is terrific, while it's definitely an updated take on the traditional deli. So they don't keep kosher - neither do I! I had the whitefish fillet plate, which was delicious. Absolutely everything I saw go past our table on the way to someone else's table, I wanted to have. We will definitely be going back.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We have eaten there 3 times already and have made this our go-to location. We have never been disappointed with our meal selections.