“Gourmet Chinese in a comfortable setting”
Review of Golden Temple

Golden Temple
Reserve with OpenTable
Golden Temple is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 206 Restaurants in Brookline
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Washington
Transit: Green line C line "Washington Square"
Reviewed May 14, 2013

A wonderful wait staff serving exceptional Chinese food. Extensive menu serving nice portions that are flavored well. The bar is well staffed and the pours are above average for even a newbie. You may go to other Chinese restaurants which may be good and less expensive, but you will always say that Golden Temple is better.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

As a friend of mine once said lets go to the Temple for a religious experience.

I have eaten there many times over the past 25+ years and my visit this week was the first in several years. When I entered I received the same warm greeting by the host as I had come to expect over the years. The décor, while somewhat dated is still most unusual and interesting.

The food was as always beautifully prepared and delicious. We had an old favorite the Golden Temple Ribs which are huge, meaty and worth the price. The dishes we chose all came fresh, hot and tasty.

Over the years I have come to expect consistently good food, prepared with the freshest ingredients and served by a well trained staff. We were definitely not disappointed.

The bar area was also bust and the drinks are great.

If you want great Chinese food that will always meet your expectations, this is the place to go. The prices are slightly higher than many neighborhood restaurants, but the food and the experience are worth it.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

The food is good but not outstanding at their prices. I dislike the idea of valet parking at a neighborhood restaurant. Save your time, money and appetite and try one of the Asian restaurants
on Harvard Street or Brighton Avenue.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Golden Temple is a good bet for Chinese food that the whole family can enjoy. This is one big restaurant that was able to accommodate our group of 9 on a Saturday night at a big, round table towards the back of their dining room. We shared a variety of dishes and everyone really enjoyed the taste and presentation of the food.
We had quite a large order and two of our dishes were late coming out of the kitchen but it was Saturday night and the owner sent out a plate of chocolate-covered ice cream treats for dessert. Plus, being the year of the snake, the restaurant gave a single 50-cent piece to each person at the end of the meal, enclosed in a decorative, traditional red envelope. This was a nice touch that added a fun memory to our experience.
I recommend the chicken with wok seared potatoes, as it was something neither I nor anyone in our party had tried. The potatoes were not really sweet, but somewhat ginger-flavored and I look forward to ordering it again off Golden Temple's extensive menu.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

I hadn't been here in many years as I remembered it as overpriced, with a tacky dining room. I went back because a friend had a gift certificate to use, so three of us had dinner. We skipped the dining room and sat in the bar area - a sunken dining room off the bar. This room had a great, high ceiling and was airy and lovely. Service was attentive and accommodating. We asked to move tables since there were two children running amok near our first one and they were happy to oblige - it was fairly early in the evening.

The menu was big with lots of options. The food was fine but still overpriced. We shared 3 appetizer and 2 entrees and there were leftovers so the portions were good. Moo Shi Shrimp was good but the accompanying pancakes were too thick. Chicken Udon noodles were tasty as well, if a bit spicy. Rumor has it the dining room was renovated a few years ago, but we didn't go in so I don't know how tacky it remains....

If you're looking for fairly standard Chinese and willing to pay more for it, this is the place.