“Unacceptable staff”

Courtyard by Marriott Boston Brookline
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Brookline
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

Having grown up in the area and stayed at this facility before I thought I was going to have a nice stay
I was wrong
Arrived approx 2:30 to check in
Waited in line
No problem
But than the problems started
VANESSA decided it was more prudent to walk away from me who had been waiting in line and walk to the far end of the counter and help a person who had just walked up
The person was kind enough to point out to Vanessa that she should be helping me
Vanessa walked back to me
I had asked her to please make sure my room was no where near an elevator
She assured me that my room was quiet and not near the elevator
I moved my belongings up to room 425
Which was right beside the elevator
I called and Vanessa said the room wasn't near the elevator
I went down the elevator to obtain a new room key
This room was a few rooms further but still not what had been requested
I called again
Vanessa's rude response was. "She has spread the word"
This isn't customer service
This is rude condescending behavior from a staff person who shouldn't be employed
To be fair the staff bought us breakfast but that doesn't help us sleep
Day 2
Returned to room at 3 pm to find no housekeeping
My husband had work to do so leaving the room wasn't an option
This time the staff added points to our account but that didn't really help us when we needed to get ready to go out and their were no clean towels
Management needs to review their staff
Watch out for Vanessa!

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank hopejudith
CYBrookline, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Boston Brookline, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Hello,

I thank you for taking the time to write a review. I feel terribly that you were not satisfied with your stay here at our hotel. Please be assured that I will follow up personally with my team and get to the bottom of this.

If you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me directly at the phone number listed below. Once again, please accept my apology. We would like to regain your trust and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area.

617-396-2000

Reviewed March 27, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a presentation I had in Boston. Great location. It's very conveniently located for getting in and out of Boston. The train was very close to the hotel. The area itself has a lot of different types of shops; something for everyone. The room and hotel itself were clean and appealing. The front clerk who checked us in was very nice.The only minor complaint I have is that you could hear the water running for the bathroom of the rooms next to you. Not a deal breaker, since it wasn't all that often. Would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
CYBrookline, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Boston Brookline, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Hello,
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review for our hotel and for a perfect 5 score.

Delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us.

I/we look forward to welcoming back soon.

Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

The best aspects of this hotel are the location, clean, recently updated,& the staff creates personal connections. As a traveler these aspects are what I look for in hotels especially when the staff can have quality conversations. The gm Mr.Chand asked me in the morning if I was off to work when I replied no that I was going for job interviews her wished me Luck and asked where at. I replied and was on my way to the T which was a quick walk. After my long day I went back to the hotel where I found Mr.Chand who remembered where I had gone this was great the gm was so visible and a quality guy. Also the agent Vincent was genuine when I had to visit the fd for some items I left at home he helped and had a real conversation with me. I also got a great pub recommendation from him. Over all a wonderful stand and I got the job. I now work in boston and love it. Thank you for the perfect stay.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo

I appreciate your perfect 5 score. Happy to hear that you are now is Boston.

Please do stop by the hotel the next time you are in the immediate area.

Congratulations and Wish you the best in your new position.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Stayed in this hotel with my partner and found it to be quite adequat and in a great location. We had one of the rooms with the jacuzzi tub bit it was strangely placed in the corner of the room itself - i would've liked it to be enclosed or at least part of the bathroom. You're outside of the city but within walking distance to the train so getting around is defintely not a problem. Brookline itself had quite a lot of shops and restaurants so the area had a lot to offer. Overall the hotel was clean, quite, and the staff was friendly. The rooms could use a bit updating but that's just me being picky.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
CYBrookline, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Boston Brookline, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

I thank you for taking the time to write to about us. I appreciate your review and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the neighborhood and also our wonderful hotel and staff. As you pointed out, our hotel is situated in a very safe and urban setting and provides numerous options for shopping and restaurant to our visiting guests.

We have limited rooms with Jacuzzi tubs and those are available to our guests with special needs, hence the placement of the tub to create easy access to the room.

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the Boston area.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

This was a good choice for me and my two daughters. The location along the Green Line was perfect. We visited Harvard, Northeastern and Boston College. We also went to the MFA and did the Freedom Trail - traveling was so easy from here. The only downside was that on the back side of the hotel the windows were small and the room was dark but we didn't hang out there much. Also one day my daughter's starbuck's drink smelled of nail polish remover so she didn't drink it but overall I'd stay here again. The staff was friendly,the rooms were clean and the location was great.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Hello,

I thank you for a great review. We are delighted that you enjoyed our proximities to the local institutions and museums and found our hotel to be in a great setting with courteous and friendly staff. I am sorry to hear about your experience with the Starbucks, please feel free to call me and I will be happy to get this corrected for you immediately.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon again.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

I am a frequently traveler to Boston and am looking for another "home based" hotel. I usually stay in Cambridge, but need to change hotel brands. This Courtyard was recommended to me by a co-worker so I thought I'd try. I had a very good experience.

The staff is really friendly and helpful. I was directed to an amazing dinner spot right around the corner within walking distance. The hotel is located slightly off the main road so it was quiet. The rooms are clean and on par with other Courtyards.

I had two negatives about the hotel though. One of the elevators was out of service during my stay so getting in and out of there in the morning was a bit of a hassle (the staff also uses the same elevators with their carts which added to the challenge). I don't expect this to be a problem when I go back. The other issue is the cost of parking as mentioned by other reviewers. I think I'm spoiled because I had deal with my other hotel and they didn't make me pay for parking due to being a frequently guest. Even though I had a deal, I believe their parking was less. Maybe this hotel wants to work out a deal with me. /wink.

Overall, nice hotel in a good location, quiet, and a good stay. I recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank LaurenHoff
CYBrookline, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Boston Brookline, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

I thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I am pleased to hear that you were delighted with the service at our hotel and will be making us a host hotel for your future visits to Boston. I feel terribly that you were inconvenienced during the unexpected mechanical failure. I want you to know that your safety is important to me and that the elevators are now fixed and secure as ever. As you know we are in an urban setting and provide a secure parking garage for all our guests, the parking fee is competitive to our immediate hotels in the area.
I/we look forward to welcoming you back soon again. And thank you for your continuous patronage towards our hotel.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Courteous service; double queen room very ample; bath very clean, ammenities sufficient; breakfast area adequate; Starbucks coffee lacked punch, options. Location excellent. Great place to run to Reservoir, loop teice for a better than 10 k. Steps away from great little treasures for breakfast, snack or lunch. In summary a good quality, service to price, very well located, access to public transportation. Courtesy van to hospitals ( not used but many did ).

Stayed: February 2014
CYBrookline, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Boston Brookline, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Dear JR J,

Thank you so much for the glowing words. We are always glad to hear that we are delivering excellent guest service. I will make sure that I share your review with the rest of my team. We hope the next time you are in the area you will choose to stay with us again. Have a great day and a better tomorrow.

Best Regards,

Justin Young
Assistant General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookline
Allston / Brighton
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Boston-Cambridge
Fenway / Kenmore
The Verb Hotel
The Verb Hotel
#11 of 84 in Boston
Courtyard Boston Cambridge
#17 of 19 in Cambridge

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Boston Brookline? Share your experiences!