“Nice hotel in extra nice area”

Courtyard by Marriott Boston Brookline
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Brookline
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here last night to attend a concert. The hotel has an underground garage, which didn't bother us as much as it did other people reviewing here.
It's the city after all.

The staff was friendly and knowledgeable about the area. It's located in Chestnut Hill, which is a beautiful area of Boston. Tons of places to eat right outside the door. It had everything I needed for a night in the city. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
CYBrookline, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Boston Brookline, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

Dear Shannon M,
We pride in our staff. I hope you have enjoyed the concert! $28 for parking with in and out access is a steal. We hope to see you soon again. Thank you.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I concur with previous reviewer. Just checked in. Exhausted after 10 solo car trip. Schlepped luggage from disgusting (absolutely gross) underground garage by myself late at night, was told to 'wait a minute at empty front desk) and then after putting my stuff down and waiting the woman moved all the way down to the other end of a long counter and said ' I can help you down here' so I got to pick it all up again. When I expressed shock at a $28 parking fee for a relatively cheap room, a crappy garage and anger at it being hidden the young kid behind the counter ( who I guess had the sole job of looking smug and giving lip to guests) started to engage me in an argument. Then of course the room. Spacious but Motel 6 quality linen, toiletries third rate etc etc. too many other good choices in Boston.

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear baconator,
I apologize that your recent stay was not enjoyable. Your satisfaction is our top priority. Please contact me at your convenience to allow me the opportunity to make it right for you. I look forward in connecting with you. Thank you for your feedback.

mui.huang@hhmlp.com

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I recently stayed here for three nights while my daughter was attending orientation at Boston College. The hotel gave me a nice BC preferred rate. I was placed in the top floor since I am a Marriott Rewards member. The hotel was nicely remodeled, clean and super quiet. The area that the hotel is in was just great. Lots of shops and eating places around the hotel. The T is a minute away, whisking you into Boston. I am a morning walker and enjoyed taking my walk in the Brookline area. I ate one simple meal at the café off the lobby; it was a club sandwich and was very good. Parking isn't free though; there is an attached garage that was $28 or $29 a night but it was very convenient. You were able to go in and out of the garage multiple times a day. To sum it up - THUMBS UP!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank steady
CYBrookline, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Boston Brookline, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Hello steady,

Thank you for such great comments. We are delighted to hear that you had an amazing stay with us. It was our pleasure having you and your family here as our guests. Hope everything went well with your trip. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed here last Sunday and Monday night since we were taking part in orientation at Boston College with our son. My husband had been on a business trip the week before where he had to stay at a different hotel chain and he was thrilled to be back at a Marriott. The nice thing about Marriott is that you know exactly what you are getting and it is consistent no matter which city you visit. This Courtyard is well-appointed, in a great location, and has a very friendly staff. My only complaint is that there is no magnifying mirror in the bathroom (for those of us at a certain age when the eyesight isn't quite as good!) and my husband said the fitness room is small. I also agree with a prior reviewer that it was annoying not to have 2 packets of regular coffee so each of us could have a cup using the single serve coffee maker. I'm not sure why they do 1 regular and 1 decaf for a room with a king size bed in which 2 adults are staying. I didn't ask for more so I have no idea what the reaction of the front desk would have been.

I would have loved to stay here again for Parents Weekend but this Marriott requires a 2 night minimum for that weekend and a "no cancellation" policy so I did not book with them. I would consider staying here again in the future although we'll see how the "alternative hotel" is in September.

There is also a great frozen yogurt place and plenty of bars and restaurants in walking distance.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank cab1118

Dear cab1118,
Thank you for your comment with regards to our friendly staff. Our staff would be happy to assist you with more coffee and supply you with a magnifying mirror. Please feel free to reach out to the front desk if we could make your stay more enjoyable. It is never a bother to service our guests. We hope to see you soon again! Thank you.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I suppose that in the hospitality industry, like in real estate, location is everything. That's one of the few things this hotel has going for it. It is in an awesome location, but that's about it. We had no complaints about the rooms themselves. They were spacious and comfortable. Pretty much everything else seemed to be about the hotel's bottom line. In spite of paying $250 a night, housekeeping only provided two bath towels and one pack of regular and decaf coffee. When i went to the front desk to get a couple more coffees, the female desk clerk acted like it was a big deal and she was doing me a huge favor! I think with two people staying in the room ample provisions should be provided. Breakfast is not included. Instead, it is obtained by traipsing to the lobby, standing in a line to get cold cereal in those single-serving containers that double as a bowl. If value is important to you, you will not find it at this property. If they ever got any competition, we would stay there.

Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Mradin
CYBrookline, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Boston Brookline, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear Mradin,
Thank you for staying with us. I apologize that your room was not stocked with more towels and coffee packets. I sincerely apologize on the service you have received at my front desk. I would like to make it up to you. Please contact me directly. Feel free to reach out the next time you are in town so that I can ensure your room is stocked. We value your business and thank you for the feedback.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Really enjoyable stay, with all of the front desk staff meeting all our needs and performing as concierge when needed. They made great recommendations for local dining options, as well as advice on questions we had regarding out tourist activities. We didn't know anything about Brookline at the time of booking, but the location was perfect for us, with all the sight seeing we did in Boston. We used the parking at the hotel and just left the car in the garage our entire stay, which I would recommend to anyone. Instead of trying to find parking in downtown Boston(nightmare and expensive, plus very real possibility of parking tickets) we got 7-day Charlie Cards(from Liquor Store near hotel--cash only) for the MBTA and road the Green Line T into town. This was really convenient since the T stops in Coolidge Corners, just out in front of the hotel. The beautiful green courtyard was an enjoyable place to sit in the morning or evening. The rooms were more than satisfactory and the location gave us the welcome surprise of being able to explore the Coolidge Corners area of Brookline each evening when we finished our daily touring of Boston.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank danjhawk
CYBrookline, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Boston Brookline, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear danjhawk,
Thank you for your perfect 5 review! I am proud my team made your stay enjoyable with great reccommendations. We hope to see you soon again. Thank you!

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We discovered a Courtyard Marriott in Brookline, Massachusetts that doesn’t quite have its act together, and it’s an embarrassment. Actually it’s a disgrace, period – for many reasons. The Hotel is in central location that offers excellent transportation and unique shops and dining – for that reason it is probably successful (to the bottom line), however, the quality of the Marriott brand is shocking. It’s inexcusable the Courtyard Marriott service provided was below standard.

Let’s get into specifics, in January 2013 we requested two adjoining rooms (and we confirmed by phone with the Marriott twice over – prior to our June check-in), one of requirements was for one of the rooms to have disabled accommodations for two elderly guests (ages 96 and 93). When we arrived the front desk couldn’t accommodate those disable or adjourning needs. What…?

The front desk said they could provide us with rooms down the hall from one another – in actuality they were across the hall – but it seems that they didn’t know that, or what room offered what amenity. What…?

Our room was provided with three bottles of Hair Conditioner, but no Shampoo. And when we pointed this out to housekeeping they gave us more Conditioner and no Shampoo. What…?

There was a rain downpour when we were there, so we asked the front desk to borrow an umbrella (they were out of them) but we could purchase a poncho if we wanted to. What…?

We had to call Housekeeping three times to have a cot made up in our room. What…?

Lastly, when we went to park our rental car, they failed to mention that there was a daily rate of $28. It wasn’t about the charge, but that they never advised us of the charge in advance. What…?

We were totally surprised by the lack of attention to understanding the guests needs and what the hotel had to offer (and didn’t). With so many quality hotels out there, Marriott Courtyard in Brookline needs to get their act together. Better training and communication with their staff, so they can provide the guests with quality service. On our rating scale of “A” to “F” for service and quality, the Brookline Courtyard Marriott gets a: “D-”

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mightytraveler

Dear mightytraveler,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback. I apologize for the service you have received. This is not the way we do business. I have emailed you and would like to hear from you so that I may resolve this to your satisfaction. Please contact me at 617.396.2005 so I may have the opportunity to make it right for you. Thank you.

mui.huang@hhmlp.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookline
Allston / Brighton
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Boston-Cambridge
Fenway / Kenmore
The Verb Hotel
The Verb Hotel
#11 of 84 in Boston
Courtyard Boston Cambridge
#17 of 19 in Cambridge

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Boston Brookline? Share your experiences!