“Visit”

Sichuan Gourmet
Ranked #56 of 205 Restaurants in Brookline
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

Our college friend suggested this resturaunt. The food was good and priced reasonably for the price. Good for the money.

There are newer reviews for Sichuan Gourmet

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Nothing to do with Sichuan here! Very average Chinese food, with the standard arsenal of dishes. I would particularly recommend staying away from the classic Sichuan dishes such as Mo Po Dofu. It is missing all the key ingredients (fresh water chestnuts, tree ears, sichuan pepper) and is just the hot, gluey mess one expects from a bad chinese restaurant in this country. The hot and sour soup is a little better, but still not very good. It has way too much cornstarch and no sign of the tart taste of lily buds which are a hallmark of this dish
The scallion pancakes and pot stickers are also very much average.

This is a good place for business meetings. They can gracefully handle large parties, and the service is quick and competent. The food is not so bad as to be embarrassing, unless of course you are hosting someone from China!

1  Thank TravelinFamilyBoston
Reviewed September 8, 2013

All the dishes you'd expect, served in copious quantities, spiced with no subtlety. There is no flavor at all to the bland, unremarkable dishes except when they are spicy. Spicy at this restaurant means they pour an insane amount of red pepper flakes on something. The food was really poor. Even the tea and fortune cookies were not worth eating. Oh, and it was on the very high side price wise for subpar Chinese food.

The room is unattractive, the carpet bland, the service almost indifferent. We won't be back.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Probably the worst restaurant experience I've had in years....my friend has a gluten allergy and we asked the waiter about a couple of dishes and he had a poor understanding of gluten and wheat intolerance. He kept going back to the chef and asking about each dish. Each time he returned saying "it only has a little wheat". After 3-4 return visits to the chef, we asked the waiter if we could talk to the chef (there was only one other table of customers). He left and came back and said the chef says NOTHING will taste good without wheat and everything has wheat in it. We had been there at least 25 minutes when we got this answer!!! So my friend says "so there is nothing in this restaurant that I can eat??" and he says "yes, so sorry". So we left. Incredible. Never saw the chef, no one else came over to help us. PS. Place wasn't that clean either. Stay away!

4  Thank Barbara G
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Coming from UK, we shared orders - there was plenty for two! I had a take out fish soup with veg, that I didn't enjoy as the fish seemed undercooked to my taste, and I'd have preferred more veg.
Another visit I had brown rice, with the ample broccolli and chicken.

1  Thank AfroZami