“Good stay”
Review of Beacon Inn 1750

Beacon Inn 1750
Ranked #5 of 11 Brookline B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 26, 2013

My mom and I came from Asia and stayed here for 11 days. The front desk staff were exceptionally friendly, warm, and helpful, especially Andrea who went out of her way to provide information about where to go and how to get there. The location of beacon inn is convenient and easily accessible.

One shortcoming is the housekeeping standard, which is below average. The towels and bed sheets are not changed daily, the floor is not swept, and toilet has never been washed throughout the duration of our stay. I hope he housekeeping standard can be improved.

Room Tip: Good location and warm service except for poor housekeeping.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed October 26, 2013

I would not recommend the Beacon Inn to anyone who is interested in staying there. The establishment is not what it is represented as. I understand that the building is old, but old does not excuse filth.

When we turned down our bed at night, we noticed our pillowcases had someone else’s hair on it. We called the front desk immediately and they brought four clean pillowcases – thank you Theresa.
The baseboards in the room look like they have not been wiped in months. Every surface in the space was dusty or dirty/grimy.

We took a white clean damp cloth and wiped around the perimeter of the room … see picture… this is what we came up with … and that was just the perimeter. The bathroom shower curtain liner was grimy and needed to be changed… the floor of the bathroom upon first glance had other people’s hair on the floor. We then decided to check the old fashioned radiator… the picture with the huge clumps of hair and dust is what came out of that… if you have allergies…I would especially avoid this place.

The windows to outside are severely in need of washing… looked like it was foggy outside…but it was a clear sunny day.

The lack of updates to our room were apparent…the ceiling was stuccoed badly. The rug next to the bed was truly nasty… we actually decided to look under the bed and regretted it.

I would fire the housekeeper or accept that whoever is resetting these rooms is unqualified or plain lazy.

For $150 plus $25 for a lame parking space (that we had to leave our keys because you could get blocked in)….this place won’t be seeing us again. It was like going to an in-laws house and realizing they don’t really care about their home.

You can find MUCH better value at the same price elsewhere... stay away.

Room Tip: Our tip for choosing a good room is to choose a different establishment.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank DanySueBob
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We went to Boston for our first time,anxious to see some old history. We researched the B&B's available there and after looking at the pictures of the Beacon Inn we decided for the price and what it offered that's where we would stay. I am sure at one time this was a beautiful Inn but with time and obviously no TLC this Inn has falling apart. Our room was so dirty that I had to go to the store and purchase cleaning supplies. I washed the floor, scrubbed the shower and cleaned the toilet. The toilet lid was broken and kept coming loose, there were hair balls on the rug that kept clinging to my socks,pulled back the sheets and there was hair and a little red bug in the bed. I pushed the rug under the bed to avoid dragging dirt into the bed because the rug had not been cleaned in god knows how long. The bed skirt was stained with blood and other filth on it. There is no place to eat or drink your coffee except in your room and there is no lids for the coffee so everyone spills the coffee carrying it to their rooms so the carpet is stained really bad. The entry hall is filthy with dust on the light fixture, the stair bannister is falling apart. When we arrived I could tell from just the way it looked it was DIRTY!!!! And I was right. Spend the extra money and stay in a nice place, the Beacon Inn is not that!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Gail T
Reviewed October 19, 2013

DON'T GO THERE.

They impolite and irrational behavior will drive you crazy. Do not rely on the pictures they show you on the catalouge and website.

The receptionist treat people like stupid. She (Andrea) was explaining to me how to use a remote control (I am a PhD and work in MIT).

Parking is a disaster. I booked a parking and when I arrived there was no spot for me. No one was in there and there was a note to call a person named David after 9 PM. You wont believe if I tell you that when I called that guy he hung up the phone on me and said he is sleepy. I called 2 times and he said your car will be towed so in that case they wont ask me for the parking price. In short, the parking policy of Beacon Inn is that your car will be probably towed and then the Beacon Inn wont charge you for the parking. How stupid is that.

When I was checking out I saw a family complaining to the receptionist and you should be there to see the careless face of the receptionist girl.

Anyway, I had 3 days reservation and after the first night I decided to cancel my booking. So I did so. But a few hours later the receptionist girl called me that they will charge me for the whole 3 days period. So, if you regret they will charge you so the best thing is that don't go there. Specially if you are with your family.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Jack D
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Our friends put a deposit for two rooms. When we checked in we asked to pay for our own room. We were told that was not possible. All of it went on my friends card. We asked each new person if they could change it even up until yesterday when we checked out. We were told the owner doesn't want to pay the fee to change it. I said not even to make their guests happy? The place is very old. A good cleaning and paint would be a start. There is NO way this place looks like the photos they show online. Yesterday when we were checking out there were two other guests complaining about how dirty this place is. My friend purchased cleaning materials at her own cost to clean her room. I asked for a blanket from the young man with long hair. Who by the way was a very sweet young man. He searched every where and finally found one. It was so filthy I wouldn't have allowed my dog to sleep on it. We were told that they only have one housekeeper for their two buildings. You will VERY lucky if you have two washcloths. We were told that they don't have enough washcloths for every guest. We were given little bars of soap. It broke and was left in the bathtub for three days. Bed was not really made. I took photos of this place and it is disgusting. I do NOT enjoy posting a negative comment about any place. But I would NEVER recommend this place to anyone. Do NOT book this place before you see it. The photos are extremely deceiving. There were four rooms of people that were complaining and nothing was done. It was very obvious the owner is NOT interested in updating or making it a pleasant stay for their guests. People work too hard for their money today to stay in a dump like this. We checked out yesterday 10-17-13. I will enclose pictures. Read the other reviews they are on target. I even wonder if this place is up to code.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. There are plenty of great places in Boston.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Julz75070
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stayed at the 1750 Beacon Inn for Parents weekend at BC. We have stayed in some historic B&B's in upstate NY and MI so wasn't expecting newness and luxury, but 1750 was disappointing. The entire place needs some TLC. Our room was carpeted, (didn't realize when booking as I needed a king bed with shower), which was a problem with allergies (this was a first). The carpet in the halls, stairs and room need upgrading. The wallpaper was peeling off the wall and hung piecemeal. The bathroom needed serious work both for function and aesthetics. We did not eat the offered continental breakfast, but it is grab and go as there is no place to sit. The place could be gem with an overhaul. On the plus side, the staff was nice and the location is in a safe neighborhood convenient to walking to BC. Unfortunately, I would not recommend unless there were some renovations.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We have stayed in some really nice B&B's in Crested Butte CO, Whitewater WI, and Door County, WI. We booked two rooms here. This place was run down and not very clean. Breakfast was cold cereal and package breads/pastries and no place to sit to eat. The place needs some serious attention, like paint, floor refinishing, and new carpet runners. The beds were not comfortable--worn out, threadbare linens, the floors were not clean--large dust balls behind the headboards of the bed, hair in the tub and dirty wash cloth hanging over the tub at check in, no ice, no cups or glasses in the bathroom or room, no irons in the room--very austere. The pictures on the Web are misleading. This place was like a cheap rooming house at a high price. There are some good things to say though: friendly staff, parking but was expensive and should be free given the poor quality of the B&B, in a great location and the T station is right nearby. However, we would not stay here again and would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank d2aviators
Beacon I, Manager at Beacon Inn 1750, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

The Beacon Inn at 1750 is located in a historic brownstone over 100 years old. It retains much of the original charm and character including ornamental fireplaces and hardwood floors. The guest's comments about the work needed throughout the building are unfounded. The two rooms this guest were both renovated last spring with fresh paint and plaster and newly refinished floors. We use only high-thread-count sheets and high-quality pillow-top mattresses and most guests comment that the beds are very comfortable. As advertised, we serve a light continental breakfast consisting of bagels, English muffins, and an assortment of pastries in addition to cold and hot cereal and coffee and tea available throughout the day.

We sincerely apologize if there were any issues with the housekeeping of the room. The host on duty when this guest checked in only received one minor complaint about dust behind the headboard of the bed, but as soon as he was informed the area in question was promptly cleaned that same evening while the guest went out to dinner. The other issues were never mentioned and if there had been any additional problems brought to our attention we would have immediately addressed them in accordance with our policy for dealing with guest requests and complaints.

The pictures on our website were taken before some of the room renovations and the only substantial difference between the rooms advertised and the rooms available is that the older wallpaper in some rooms has been replaced with fresh plaster and paint. We stand by the quality of our rooms and amenities and our rates are extremely competitive for the area. We do not believe these comments represent the experience of the majority of our guests.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookline
Allston / Brighton
The Verb Hotel
#11 of 84 in Boston
Beacon Inn
#6 of 11 in Brookline

Been to Beacon Inn 1750? Share your experiences!