“very disappointed!”

Ranked #6 of 11 Brookline B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“very disappointed!”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Our party booked 3 rooms and one was worse than the next! It was the sorriest excuse for a bed and breakfast place I have ever stayed in. Our room had no a/c, the place is quite run down and doesn't look like it's been cared for, could use a sprucing up, breakfast was pitiful; cheap supermarket danishes and muffins and you have to eat standing up!! A sorry place all in all.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank anastasia k
Beacon I, Manager at Beacon Inn 1750, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
We are sorry to hear you were disappointed with your stay, however we would like to point out some inaccuracies with this review. Our rooms are all equipped with air conditioning units during warm weather months. If this guest had any complaints about the temperature in the room, she should have mentioned them to the front desk staff during her stay so we could have properly addressed the issues.

As far as the maintenance of the building, the Beacon Inn is located in a historic 19th century brownstone and we have worked hard to keep as much of the original architectural as possible. We do regularly maintain the rooms and several of the guest rooms at our 1750 location were recently renovated with fresh plaster and paint and refinished hardwood floors prior to this guest's stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Montpelier, Vermont, United States
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I had a great time staying at the Beacon Inn over the last 10 weeks.
Hospitable and helpful staff were very accommodating and pleasant
to chat with from time to time. The laid back atmosphere was very relaxing
and, ahh, those beds! Very comfortable. All in all, I can see no reason
to ever stay anywhere else when in the Boston area. Cheers!

Room Tip: gotta say 3, 4, 12 and 13 were my favorites
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CAMtagonist
Boston
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I was in Boston for one day and needed an easy, inexpensive place to stay. The Beacon Inn is a charming older building that is clean, very comfortable and very convenient particularly considering the affordable price. The T stop was right across the street and for a small charge I was able to park my car and forget about it. The staff were charming, extremely accomodating and wonderful to get along with. I think I'm going to need to find more excuses to go to Boston!

Room Tip: I was in room 12. It was a single with a nice clean bathroom.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Tom B
Philipstown
Reviewed April 15, 2013

The room that we were assigned to was in disrepair and unclean. The toilet seat was dirty. There were hairs on top of the bed. The carpet is worn and ripped in places. It obviously was not vacuumed. The wallpaper is peeling. There are holes in the bathroom walls. The finish is peeling of of the bathroom vanity. We were hoping to take a bubble bath in the tub -- too disgusting. The room we had is part of the a fire evacuation route, which means that a large exit sign hangs from the ceiling. The entire room is lit up in red from this sign all night. Noisy neighboring guests woke us up at 3 AM and we had to ask them to quiet down since no staff is around after 8 PM. At 7 AM the noisy heating system woke us up. My girlfriend then spotted a large bug crawling across her pillow and refused to go back to bed. I will take my business elsewhere next time I go to Boston.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank W S

Travelers are raving about these Brookline hotels

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I was in the boston area for a conference at Boston College. This inn was recommended to me by the organizers of my session. I'm very glad that I took them up on their suggestion. The inn was truly charming. It's conveniently located along the Green line and is about 20 minutes by foot from BC. The rooms were nice and big and the staff was wonderful. Because I had to leave early each morning, I didn't have a chance to try out the breakfast. I will definitely stay there again the next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank svelavick
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 8, 2013

For the price is a good place to stay for few days while visiting Boston (even more if you visit someone in BC). Close to the T train. Walk distance from Washington Sq where you can find loads of bars and restaurants. The staff was very nice and attentive. The breakfast is a grab-and-go, not sitting area...but includes cereals and bagels, milk and coffee. The rooms are nice and comfortable, old style but very clean.

Room Tip: There are at least 2 rooms that are considered Emergency Exits, so they have a illuminated red EXIT...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NachoRJ
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed March 25, 2013

The Inn: Very well kept and cozy. Bed was comfortable and everything was clean. I think it's a nice touch they name all the rooms after infamous Bostonians. Didn't eat the breakfast (only consisted of bagels and oatmeal).
Location: About 20 minutes from central Boston, but the great thing was that it was directly across the street from public transportation. Beautiful, quiet neighborhood with local eateries up the block.
If Driving Beware! For every day you need to park on the premises they charge you $20. They didn't mention this fee when booking the room so for that they only get 4 stars, otherwise it definitely is a 5 star stay if you are looking for a quiet, inexpensive, stay on the outskirts of Boston/Harvard.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Christopher D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookline
Allston / Brighton
Hotel Boston
Hotel Boston
#77 of 83 in Boston
Fenway / Kenmore
The Inn at Longwood Medical

Been to Beacon Inn 1750? Share your experiences!