“Awwww Bummer..Expected More for price - Girls Getaway !!!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Beacon Inn 1750

Beacon Inn 1750
Ranked #5 of 11 Brookline B&B and Inns
North Conway, New Hampshire
“Awwww Bummer..Expected More for price - Girls Getaway !!!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

We arrived to find that the room I booked weeks ago was not booked for us. We picked out the room over the phone while viewing online with Monica who was very informative about the rooms.
We wanted to be on the 3rd floor w/ a bright open room concept so we picked the Kenmore Room after going over several with her.We paid in advance by phone to reserve it for that purpose Very Very Very disappointed that upon our arrival that the room was booked w/ somebody else.!! We were escorted bottom level room #2 which was drab,dark w/ mini AC unit in window after paying $167.00 and 20.00 for parking. I immediately advised that we rented the Kenmore. Of course there booked! Took us to another room not even close to what we requested after getting upset and asking for a better room a King bed #5 It was better but still not what we booked :( Went shopping came back to realize Ooops..Dirty sheets,pillows & comforter but so exhausted just removed all from bed. Drawers with leftover hair & food when attempted to put clothes in ( left in luggage). Shower Dirty & floors.Bathroom had a sewer odor. And finally the AC goes all night no way to turn off AC its from the lobby. We Slept like crap & FROZE all night. 8:30am a small Kuerig coffee maker, left was 1 plain bagel & english muffin. WOW This SUCKS..Again Very disappointed would not advise to spend your money to stay here. Overall the
employees are nice but the place isn't worth the cash.

Room Tip: If you decide to stay here make sure you get a email confirmation showing the room and call back to...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Therunaways

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Kennebunk, Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

We went to Boston for a concert and needed a place to stay for the night. The decision to stay was last minute and we needed a location that was close to a T stop. We chose the 1750 Beacon St Inn because it was inexpensive and just steps from the Dean St T stop. Brookline is a nice area and the Inn is a beautiful old brownstone. The lobby was nice but the stairs and the hall were worn and could use new carpet, paint and wallpaper. The room we ended up with was small with a need for some updating but very clean. There was one long old brick wall that added charm and a small sitting area with one arm chair. There was no closet and very little drawer space. The bed was only a double but there was a good sized flat screen TV mounted on the wall. The bathroom was a good size and clean. We ended up on the fourth floor (no elevator) and the day we visited it was close to 100 degrees in the city. So we called ahead and asked them to turn on the air before our arrival. They did, and after we returned from the concert the room was nice and cool. They gave us a front door key as the front desk is only available until 9pm. That turned out to work out fine, but I was concerned because we didn't return from the concert until 1:30am and if there had been a problem we would have been out of luck. They should supply and emergency number for after hours service if needed. The breakfast was nothing more than bagels, blueberry muffins and coffee, but they did have a fresh water dispenser which was nice. All in all it was a fine place to stay at a good price. If you are looking for more than a Motel but less than luxury, this is your place.

Room Tip: Call ahead to reserve a parking space because if you don't you are out of luck. Or, plan to par...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Jericho, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

The 1087 Beacon was passable. It is somewhat less expensive than nearby hotels. Our room was OK. Decor not attractive, but seemed clean. The bathroom was tiny, but clean and functional, and private. We were on the first floor in front, so we had a street view and noise from the T line, but being used to NYC noise, it was fine. Parking is around the back and tight.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Hartford County CT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

I can see why the reviews for Beacon Inn run from hot to cold, with two different properties. We stayed at the 1750 location and had a rather nice experience.
Customer service was great from beginning to end. I emailed the inn a few days before we arrived to ask about dropping off luggage early, and about walking distance from various T stations. I got my response in less than 24 hours. My husband dropped off our bags earlier in the day, and I emailed the inn again while en route to make sure the bags were in a secure location. They called me within the hour to tell me our bags were already in our room. Nice!
When we checked into Commonwealth that evening we found there was a little leak in the bathroom sink, and we notified the front desk guy before we went out to dinner. By the time we returned that evening, it was fixed. Very nice!
The next morning we checked out and asked to have our bags stored until the end of the day. When we came back that evening, our bags were delivered to us in just a couple of minutes with a smile and a friendly, "Hope you enjoyed your stay!" Very, very nice!
The inn itself is a cute neghborhood and very closeby to both the C and the D Green Line. We decided to park at Riverside and take the D to the inn (getting off at Beaconsfield) rather that try our luck with the parking situation there. If you don't mind a few minutes' walk through a nice neighborhood, I'd definitely suggest this alternative.
The free breakfast offered here is really just a courtesy to the guests, not a gourmet spread. If you want a coffee and a bagel, please help yourself. If you want something else, get over it already and head out to any one of the nice cafes in the neighborhood.
Our room was clean enough and we were able to get a pretty good night's sleep. Decor is a little too "clearance rack" looking, if you know what I mean, but certainly nothing terrible.

A couple of small facilities changes to this inn would really do wonders:
1. Paint the front door, clean up the entryway. Unfortunately right now this doorway is the least inviting looking one in the neighborhood.
2. Make a better sign to let folks know that the doors are locked until 8 AM each day. (Didn't really like hearing that doorbell going over and over again at 6:45 AM)
3. Replace the old bedspreads and curtains.
4. Ditch the "Grandma's house" wallpaper and put on a fresh coat of paint.
5. Get a better looking front desk. The one there looks like it was from a garage sale.
6. Get some Beacon Inn polo shirts for the staff so you can identify them as staff, and to give a more professional look.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2012

We stayed there at the end of February for one night at their 1087 property. I read their website and followed their instructions about calling the day before to 'reserve' a parking space, especially since we were arriving after hours. They assured me that parking wasn't a problem and we could have one of their private reserved spaces behind the hotel (there is no overnight street parking in Brookline). When we got there we found our packet of papers at the door (like they promised), with the top one being a letter saying that their parking is closed due to construction and we could park '2 blocks' down the street at the Holiday Inn. The Holiday Inn was 0.3 miles away and walking in the snow really wasn't fun. The room was tolerable. The bathroom was clearly a closet that somehow they magically fit a tiny toilet and shower into. The room itself was nothing special, pretty clean, and for some reason had 2 queen beds and one full bed in it, I guess the more the merrier. We had a fine experience, but it definitely wasn't the cute, quaint bed and breakfast that we were hoping for.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Brookline hotels

Brookline, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2012

I had a great experience at the beacon inn. I'm moving to the Brookline area, and i needed a home base to hunt my new apartment. I spent a week there and I couldn't have felt more at home. unfortunately, it took longer than I had initially anticipated to find a new apartment. I ended up renting an apartment from for them them for the following month. Both the apartment and the room I stayed in had plush bedding and large flat screen televisions, perfect for me to relax after a stressful days hunting a home. I now live very close to the 1750 Beacon St. location and will encourage any visiting friends to use the Beacon Inn.

Room Tip: be aware this establishment has two locations
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank emma j
Utica, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

I was a little concerned about placing my reservation b/c of some negative comments I'd seen here and elsewhere; but I also saw many positive reviews and liked the price very well.... So I went ahead and made my reservation at the Beacon Inn 1750 and called ahead to arrange for off-street parking (must be reserved directly with the Inn ahead of time -- there's an extra charge involved, but I found that to be the case at other places as well). I later learned that they have another property at 1087 Beacon Street, which was actually closer to our ultimate destination (Simmons College); so I called the Beacon Inn 1750 and asked about switching my reservation from one property to the other -- they were very willing to accommodate me. I also asked about moving my parking request -- no problem there either. When we arrived, my daughter went in to ask for help finding the parking space while I parked at the curb temporarily. The person on duty gave her directions (3 right turns to pull into an alley just behind the building...) but then voluntarily left the warmth of the lobby to wait out in the cold for us(!), to wave us into the alley and help us park in just the right spot. I was impressed! The room itself had not just the two queen/double beds I'd requested but also a third double, all for the same price! (It was only two of us on this occasion; but we have 5 adult-sized family members, all of whom could have stayed there for WAY less than we usually spend booking two rooms elsewhere!) The standard (~3'x2') shower would have been a bit challenging for the larger members of my family, but my daughter and I managed fine. And everything was perfectly clean. The beds were very comfortable. Room (on the non-street-side of the building) was very quiet. Other guests were very quiet and considerate. The heat was no problem at all -- there's no individual temp. control in the rooms, but you just need to open the old-fashioned vent fully to allow the central-heating system to do its job. Breakfast was modest (little boxes of cereal, English muffins, bagels, OJ, coffee, etc.) but was free so fine by me! In short, I would readily go back. Especially if I had my whole family there, it would easily be a less expensive stay than we'd have anywhere else decent in Boston without using one of those bidding sites, in which case you can't truly control where you land.... Since location was important in this case, we went this route (and BTW the location of this Inn is great b/c of proximity to the Green Line right outside the door, and it's walking distance to several colleges, etc.). All in all, I'd have no problem recommending this Inn to anyone I knew ... and in fact have already done so to several friends!

Room Tip: be aware of the two separate properties -- select the one most convenient for you; can also request...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kris H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookline
Allston / Brighton
Hotel Boston
Hotel Boston
#76 of 83 in Boston
Fenway / Kenmore
Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Back Bay/Fenway

Been to Beacon Inn 1750? Share your experiences!