“convienent location”

Ranked #5 of 11 Brookline B&B and Inns
Brookline, Massachusetts
“convienent location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2012

I had a great experience at the beacon inn. I'm moving to the Brookline area, and i needed a home base to hunt my new apartment. I spent a week there and I couldn't have felt more at home. unfortunately, it took longer than I had initially anticipated to find a new apartment. I ended up renting an apartment from for them them for the following month. Both the apartment and the room I stayed in had plush bedding and large flat screen televisions, perfect for me to relax after a stressful days hunting a home. I now live very close to the 1750 Beacon St. location and will encourage any visiting friends to use the Beacon Inn.

Room Tip: be aware this establishment has two locations
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank emma j

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Utica, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

I was a little concerned about placing my reservation b/c of some negative comments I'd seen here and elsewhere; but I also saw many positive reviews and liked the price very well.... So I went ahead and made my reservation at the Beacon Inn 1750 and called ahead to arrange for off-street parking (must be reserved directly with the Inn ahead of time -- there's an extra charge involved, but I found that to be the case at other places as well). I later learned that they have another property at 1087 Beacon Street, which was actually closer to our ultimate destination (Simmons College); so I called the Beacon Inn 1750 and asked about switching my reservation from one property to the other -- they were very willing to accommodate me. I also asked about moving my parking request -- no problem there either. When we arrived, my daughter went in to ask for help finding the parking space while I parked at the curb temporarily. The person on duty gave her directions (3 right turns to pull into an alley just behind the building...) but then voluntarily left the warmth of the lobby to wait out in the cold for us(!), to wave us into the alley and help us park in just the right spot. I was impressed! The room itself had not just the two queen/double beds I'd requested but also a third double, all for the same price! (It was only two of us on this occasion; but we have 5 adult-sized family members, all of whom could have stayed there for WAY less than we usually spend booking two rooms elsewhere!) The standard (~3'x2') shower would have been a bit challenging for the larger members of my family, but my daughter and I managed fine. And everything was perfectly clean. The beds were very comfortable. Room (on the non-street-side of the building) was very quiet. Other guests were very quiet and considerate. The heat was no problem at all -- there's no individual temp. control in the rooms, but you just need to open the old-fashioned vent fully to allow the central-heating system to do its job. Breakfast was modest (little boxes of cereal, English muffins, bagels, OJ, coffee, etc.) but was free so fine by me! In short, I would readily go back. Especially if I had my whole family there, it would easily be a less expensive stay than we'd have anywhere else decent in Boston without using one of those bidding sites, in which case you can't truly control where you land.... Since location was important in this case, we went this route (and BTW the location of this Inn is great b/c of proximity to the Green Line right outside the door, and it's walking distance to several colleges, etc.). All in all, I'd have no problem recommending this Inn to anyone I knew ... and in fact have already done so to several friends!

Room Tip: be aware of the two separate properties -- select the one most convenient for you; can also request...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kris H
providence
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

My girlfriend and I wanted to book a last minute getaway to Boston. I thought that finding a room so late would be impossible and very expensive. I was extremely pleased to find the Beacon Inn had the room I needed at a much lower rate than I had expected. The room was comfortable and reminded me trips I had taken with my family as a child. The decorating is simple, but nicely maintains the vicorian styling. In our room there was a nice fireplace(no longer in use) that added to the character of the space. Although there was no fire, it certainly warmed the room. We couldnt have been happier with our experience. Thanks Beacon Inn

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank al w
Wellington, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

This place is disgusting. I felt uncomfortable from the second we walked through the UNSECURED front door. I cannot believe that a place like this is allowed to be open. Health Inspectors should shut it down. If you are into feeling like you could be in a murder movie, please by all means, book a room at this inn. Staff had no idea what was going on and were rude. DO NOT STAY HERE.

Room Tip: Our tip: Do Not Stay Here.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Brookline hotels

Gloucester, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2011

My son and I stayed here for 4 nights over the Xmas holidays to visit with my daughter's family close by. If you are expecting a cosy, comfortable B & B, don't stay here! The room was freezing, and when we complained, we were told no one had ever complained before. The next day they turned the heat up, and it was extremely hot. The desk clerk then told me someone else had complained! But the heat continued to be off and on. To enter the room, one had to walk through the bathroom. Terrible. The toilet is right next to the door which has a glass window covered only be a shade. Very awkward.

Perhaps the owners do not celebrate Xmas, but there could have been some sign of a holiday feeling in the lobby like some lights or bows or a wreath. The lobby is pretty barren with one vase of old, dried up flowers that look like they have been there forever. The breakfast is not a breakfast! There was no coffee made 2 mornings when we left at 8;30, also no juice or fruit ever. There were some horrible store bought pastries one day and bagels wrapped in cellophane. Nothing appealing. We never found anything decent to eat here.

The employees are young and don't seem to know much or care about the place. Our room was in the backon the first floor, but it was very noisy when people were talking in the lobby. There were only a few hangers in an old built-in closet with doors that stuck. The claw foot bathtub did have a shower, but it was very dangerous climbing in and out with nothing to hold on to and no shelf to put razor, shampoo etc. Towels are scratchy, no cup in the bathroom etc.

I could go on and on, but I think it is clear, that if you are looking for a comfortable B and B, find another place. The Beacon Inn is not one! Our advice is to go to Priceline.com and you can find a better and more comfortable deal.

Room Tip: Can't say, but there is no elevator and the front rooms face a busy street.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2011

Charming establishment! It was pleasant to stay in a room with character for a change. I had an exceptional experience with the staff, who were pleased to help me with finding directions, and making suggestions for great restaurants nearby. The train stops right in front of the building, making it easy to access the whole city, yet far enough away from downtown to enjoy a quiet nights sleep. I got a great last minute price, and can happily say I felt I got more than what I paid for.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank karen f
lincoln, ri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2011

Amazing room especially for the price! And the host was so warm and welcoming!right across from the train!

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank venessav
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookline
Allston / Brighton
Hotel Boston
Hotel Boston
#76 of 83 in Boston
Fenway / Kenmore
Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Back Bay/Fenway

Been to Beacon Inn 1750? Share your experiences!