“Wonderful stay”
Review of The Bertram Inn

The Bertram Inn
Ranked #2 of 11 Brookline B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at The Bertram Inn. We very much liked the old-style charm of the décor which suits the age of the building & is a pleasant change from the standard finish of chain hotels. We found everything clean & in working order - a few moments patience was needed for the hot water to come through but then it was very hot & plentiful. We stayed in a large top floor room with two Queen beds & found it very comfortable. We enjoyed sitting downstairs in the lounge, mixing with other guests & having snacks & drinks after a day out sightseeing. There is a small fridge on the landing for guests to store their own food which is very useful. The buffet breakfast is good though one morning we did find the best things had gone by 9a.m. The staff were very friendly & exceptionally helpful. The location is great & there are lots of restaurants, banks & small shops within walking distance at Coolidge Corner. We enjoyed our visit to JFK's birthplace nearby in a street of charming old houses. As other reviewers have said it is just a short journey on the T to central Boston & I'm so glad we stayed here rather than in the city. I'd also recommend the tour of Fenway Park - interesting & a lot of fun.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Ama473

Reviewed October 14, 2012

The Inn is in a great location but it was quite disappointing. The rooms are tired and worn and have not been renovated at all. Everything was very old, dark and seemed to be in disrepair. There were numerous bulbs burned out with cobwebs on them showing how little the place was cared for. The first night we were there the hot water was out, and at breakfast the hot food had been sitting for a long time and was virtually gone by 9am.

On the positive side, staff was very nice and there were great snacks and coffee available at all times. For $300 per night we just expected so much more.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Paul S
bertramBrookline, General Manager at The Bertram Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Hi Paul, I wanted to address the concerns you expressed in your review, and perhaps shed some light on the situation. I take our guests' safety and comfort very seriously.

In regard to our rooms, I'd like to point out that the Bertram Inn was built in 1907 as a private residence, and over the last 27 years that we've owned it, each room has indeed seen many renovations. In order to create our 14 guest rooms, we have built walls and bathrooms, installed central climate control, and sourced period antiques to compliment the character of the home. We have also outfitted each room with flatscreen televisions, installed complimentary WiFi throughout the property, and provide spa-quality toiletries in each private bathroom. The older feel of an antique home and the darker decor in the first floor room you occupied are true to the period, but I can certainly understand that they are not to everyone's taste.

Regarding the hot water, you caught us at exactly the wrong time, I'm sorry to say. In order to perform maintenance on our plumbing, it is necessary to shut off the main line temporarily, and thus you suffered the inconvenience. For this, in addition to the burned-out bulbs you observed, I can only apologize. I have taken your feedback to both our housekeepers and our maintenance team, and we will strive to be better every day, for you, our valued guests.

To address our breakfast, I can tell you that we serve our full, hot breakfast daily for 2 hours, between 8 and 10am. Occasionally when several guests dine simultaneously we deplete our offerings, and promptly replenish them. I can assure you that any items that you described as having been 'sitting for a long time' were no more than 60 minutes old by 9am, and those that were running low were restocked by our Innkeepers or Cook for the second half of breakfast service. I'm sorry you did not enjoy your breakfast experience with us, especially since the feedback I typically receive are requests for our recipes! I have since spoken with our weekend staff to insure timely restocking of our home-made pastries, hot entrees, and cookies.

I'm glad you enjoyed our attentive staff and all-day refreshments, and I would invite you to try the Bertram Inn again so we can prove our commitment to you. Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve every day.

-Steve
General Manager, The Bertram & Samuel Sewall Inns

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed at The Bertam Inn for the last two nights of our honeymoon, we are from England UK. We chose the location because of its proximity to Fenway Park as we had tickets for the Red Sox (a 20 minute walk). We stayed in room 5 which is a smaller double room with a private bathroom down the hall, it was a little cheaper and we were on a budget. There are lovely thick bathrobes provided so you don't have to dash exposed down the hall! In fact we took photos of our bathroom so we can decorate ours at home in the same style.The Inn is full of old charm, open fires, antiques, comfy leather settees. We did peek in some of the other rooms when they were empty and are quite taken with the quirky antique decor. The Innkeepers were all extremely helpful, assisting with luggage, ordering pizza (after 8 hours of walking round Boston we just couldn't go out again), ordering taxis, and as our flight was late in the day, took care of our luggage and let us use the facilities before our departure. The T at St Pauls is just at the end of the road and only $2.50 each into the heart of the city. The Inn is on a fairly busy corner as other reviewers have mentionned and early evening there is traffic noise and usual city sirens but the nights were quiet and we were not disturbed. We loved the easiness of staying at The Bertam, tea and coffee was always available and lovely snacks in the afternoon await you on your return from exploring during the day (muffins, cookies, chocolate almonds, fresh fruit) it was so relaxing having a coffee and cake in the sitting room with the days papers....Breakfast was a choice of cereal, toast, muffins, fresh fruit and a hot dish that changed each day. We would most definitley recommend and hope to return one day.

Room Tip: Room 5 in on the front corner, dual aspect. Private bathroom that you can lock is down the hall with...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We recently visited Boston, Ma to go to Fenway Park and Gillette Stadium and stayed at The Bertram Inn and found it to be just what we wanted and more!
The staff are tremendously helpful and will always assist you while they are on duty.
We stayed in room 11 which is on the top floor and proved to be nice and quiet at night.
Breakfast was great for us offering fresh fruit, cereals, bread, cakes and a hot choice each morning and then through the day the coffee / tea and snacks were left for guests to help themselves to whenever needed.
Located just two minutes walk from the T station at St Pauls which then is a short 20minute ride into Boston city centre.
Thanks to all the staff there and we most definitely will be back again in the future!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2012

The Bertram Inn is a charming B&B on a moderately busy corner in urban Brookline, Massachusetts. Don't expect hotel-style rooms and bathrooms, but do enjoy the various bedrooms of an old merchant's house, comfy beds, and quirky decor. Stay here for the service, the convenience of it's location, and the feeling of being a true guest as opposed to a commodity. Coffee, tea and snacks are available 24/7, and a real effort is made to supply a varied, healthy, and attractive breakfast. The breakfast room is a little dreary, but there are options for sitting outside in the nice weather and in the living room. One caveat is that the front rooms are a bit noisy, i.e., sirens and traffic during the night. I used the window a.c., fan only, to supply a white noise, which was just fine.

Room Tip: A couple of the larger rooms have beds so high that steps are supplied for climbing in and out. Be...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Location : Very good
T (subway) stops are at easy walking distance.
The Longwood medical area hospitals (Brigham and Women's, Dana-Farber, etc.) are about 20 min. away walking. Museum of Fine Arts is 30 min. on foot.
Coolidge Corner, with its stores and restaurant, plus Trader Joe's, is less than 10 minutes of a walk.

Parking : Right behind the building, or right across the street.

Rooms : excellent
I stayed in a room on the second floor. It was very clean, provided plenty of room, and was nicely furnished. Comfortable bed.

Breakfast : very nice.
One hot prepared food (varies from day to day). Plenty of other kinds of food, from bagels to fruits, cereal, etc. Too numerous to list.

Coffee, tea, pastries, dried fruit, candies/chocolate all day.

Common/breakfast area : very nice.
Actually two areas, one of them is essentially a completely enclosed porch. Nicely furnished. Daily newspapers.

Service : superb
Very courteous and prompt.
They go beyond the call of duty.
My car key was lost (several days after I left another guest found it) and when they heard that they made all the phone calls that were necessary to help me out.
Also, since I had to do late check-out and they needed the room for the next guest they carried all my stuff to the office. When I was leaving they picked up all my stuff from the office and carried it to my car. I Did not have to ask them to do this.

Bertram Inn is my first choice in Boston.

Room Tip: Make sure you look at the pictures of the rooms on the Inn's website. You will get a good idea w...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank SquareG
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I always stay here when visiting Boston. The service is so welcoming. They treat you like an old friend and are always ready to go the extra mile.

The rooms are comfortable and charmingly appointed. Having a living room on the first floor makes it easy to have friends stop before or after dinners, meetings, etc. Location, location, location - perfect.

The breakfasts are always great. Something for everyone. Having snacks out all day and night can be a lifesaver.

I was thrilled to discover The Bertram and highly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookline
Fenway / Kenmore
The Verb Hotel
The Verb Hotel
#9 of 85 in Boston
The Samuel Sewall Inn
#8 of 11 in Brookline

Been to The Bertram Inn? Share your experiences!