“Charming Quiet Inn”
Review of The Bertram Inn

The Bertram Inn
Ranked #1 of 11 Brookline B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 21, 2012

My husband was having surgery in Boston which required me to find a place to stay while he was hospitalized. I made arrangements at the Bertram Inn for one night for both of us and for myself for three nights. Initially the Inn had us booked on the third floor but due to the type of surgery my husband was having he could not climb all the stairs so we asked if other arrangements could be made. The Inn immediately changed our reservations and put us on the first floor (room #3) the first night, making it easy for my husband. That room was rented for the remainder of my stay so the Inn changed my reservation to the second floor....which was fine with me. I had my things packed and they did the rest. When I returned to the Inn at night I found all my things in the second floor room (#9) which turned out to be very cozy. The staff was extremely friendly during our (my) entire stay. If we ever need to stay in Boston again, we will definitely stay at the Bertram Inn....it's just like home!!!

Room Tip: Check out the Bertram Inn website and review the rooms. I loved the second floor better than the fir...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank JoJo759

Reviewed January 20, 2012

I have stayed at the Bertram Inn a few times since my daughter moved to Boston and have always been impressed by the food (their cook is amazing) the friendly staff and the beautiful setting. I was lucky enough to stay there in December and was blown away by how beautiful the holiday decor was, they even had a Victorian sleigh in the front yard- so charming! It saddens to me to see their excellent service disparaged in some of these reviews because the staff there really went the extra mile for me from accommodating my gluten allergy to helping me navigate the city."

Room Tip: My first question is always is there a room with one of those Duxiana (not sure if I'm spelling...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Manamoo2
Reviewed January 16, 2012

What a charming little house in a warm neighborhood. Lovely girlie beds and great tea area! I too was put off my less than friendly front desk. Other than that perfect.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Amy O
bertramBrookline, Manager at The Bertram Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2012

Dear guest,

We thank you sincerely for your review. A general meeting with the Innkeeping team took place and some rough edges continue to be sharpened. We have no doubt that the service we provide is up to par with what we’re known for and been offering for the last 25 years and will continue to improve.

We’re glad to know that the rest of the stay was perfect.

Warmly,

The Innkeepers

Reviewed January 6, 2012

We loved our stay at The Bertram Inn. We have stayed here before and love the charm of the rooms, the delicious breakfasts and the kind staff.

Each time we stay we try a different room and have loved each one for different reasons. They are all beautifully decorated, have very comfortable beds, small but immaculate bathrooms and although located on a city street we have always found them to be quiet and restful.

Breakfast is served in the warm and inviting living room and the sunny porch. There is always a hot entree, a tasty sweet item, lots of fruit and many bread choices. Their coffee is wonderful and available all the time. There are also snacks and sweets left in the living room for late night snacks.

We have found the management, staff and cleaning personnel to be welcoming and helpful. But, I will say that on our last visit, we checked in later in the evening and the young man on staff did not ask if he could help us with our bags(even though on previous visits this had not been a problem). He could see we struggled with one bag and raced it up the stairs and threw it into our room and was gone. And one evening and morning we were there, there was a woman in charge who never gave us a greeting, a look or any other consideration. It appeared she was at odds with the other staff members and it reflected back on the guests. This was not the service we have come to expect at the Bertram. That being said, we will visit again, but hope some staff members realize that we do notice when things are not the way they should be.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank melange1
bertramBrookline, General Manager at The Bertram Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your honest feedback about your most recent stay with us. I am disappointed that we failed to exceed your expectations, and I want to personally apologize for the lapse in friendly service that you have come to know at the Bertram Inn. I can promise you that I have now spoken with every member of our innkeeping staff to correct this, and you will see that friendly face and extra set of helpful hands when you have the opportunity to come see us again. Thanks for your kind words, and especially for pointing out how we can improve. We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed January 1, 2012

This B and B was recommended by a friend and was not disappointing. The decor is immaculate, the staff friendly and helpful. Rooms are excellent. Close to great shopping and restaurants and the train is minutes away. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Go to their website and have a look at the photos very true to what is displayed. Corner suites seem...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DebandRonB
Reviewed December 30, 2011

Beginning impression was positive but this didn't last after our first night of a three night stay. Upon returning to the Inn at the end of our second day there was a letter attached to the front door with our name on it and the inscription "Open Immediately." The letter went on to explain that we had inadvertently been put in the wrong room and that they had moved all our possessions into another (and much less desirable) room from the second to the third floor. Their apology was accompanied with a bottle of wine in our new room (we don't drink). All of our belongings were completely in disarray as if they had just been scooped up and "dumped" into a small closet that had no light. The bed was a double bed (downsized from a Queen) although they told us the bathroom was much larger. It took them another day to find my phone charger which was left in the other room. Needless to say after much complaining about what felt like a total invasion of privacy, they credited my credit card for one night. On the positive side I will say that the Inn is clean, quaint, the food was very good, and it's only a block away from the Green Line. That being said, we will be staying somewhere else when we return in May.

Room Tip: Room 10 which we were given the first night was quite good (roomy, pretty quiet, comfortable bed...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Bruce F
bertramBrookline, General Manager at The Bertram Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2012

Dear Bruce,

We’re sorry to read your review. It all started with a human error. Our Innkeeper that made the mistake still feels awful about it, more so since this is the 1st time this happened in all the time she’s been here.

Given the chance, we did all that we could in order to have this mistake fixed.
You had booked a Standard room and received, by mistake, a free upgrade to our lovely Deluxe room. Due to the confusion, we refunded your card in full for that night, as a sincere apology. You were in fact never downsized; but, on the contrary, upgraded for the 1st night and then put in the correct room type that you had booked.
We understand the inconvenience that our mistake caused you. After talking to you, we understood that apologizing and giving you a refund for one night were enough to make you feel that amends had been sufficiently made. It seems like our gestures of apology were not enough to keep you from posting a negative review.

If you decide to book with us again we will do all we can to make sure that you are satisfied with your accommodations.

The Innkeepers and Management

Reviewed December 21, 2011

When we first arrived at the Bertram Inn, we were met by a lovely young lady (unfortunately we forgot her name) who showed us to our rooms, explained that there was coffee/ tea and cookies available at all times in the living room and who was more than happy to help us find our way around Boston and Brookline.

The room itself was quite spacious. We did request for an extra bed one week prior to our stay due to a change of plans, which made the room a bit smaller, but for two guests room 5 had more than enough space. Our bathroom was not ensuite but just a little down the hall. We didn't mind that too much as the B&B really has a very homely feeling to it, so it just felt like going to the bathroom at home.

Breakfast was lovely and varied, however, on one specific morning we apparently got up too late because around half an hour before the breakfast ended, all food had already been eaten. We asked for more scones, buns or bagels and we did get some, but the buffet itself was not filled again.

Brookline is about 20 minutes from downtown Boston (MIT/ Harvard) by T line. The closest stop is actually just around the corner from the Bertram Inn (about 2-minute walk).

We would definitely stay at this B&B again. It is true that there are B&Bs which are closer to Boston, but the personnel was so friendly and accomodating that we just have to recommend it to future visitors of Boston.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ann S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookline
Fenway / Kenmore
The Verb Hotel
The Verb Hotel
#9 of 86 in Boston
Allston / Brighton
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Boston-Cambridge

Been to The Bertram Inn? Share your experiences!