“Moderately priced option for Brookline”
Review of Longwood Inn

Longwood Inn
Ranked #7 of 11 Brookline B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 6, 2014

We chose the Longwood Inn because it was more reasonably priced than other nearby inns and hotels. It has much to recommend it, especially the free parking (essential in Brookline if you have a car). Our spacious room was on the second floor, facing the street, and although we kept the windows open, it wasn't noisy. The bathroom was nicely modernized, and the room had a large walk in closet. Bring your own toiletries (only soap and shampoo are provided). Towels and linens are basic, and you need to bring in your own coffee/tea/breakfast, which you can prepare in the group kitchen. The staff were all friendly and helpful, and there are two "T" stops a few blocks in either direction.

Room Tip: Second floor is nice, if you don't have a problem with stairs.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 27, 2014

This hotel has outstanding customer service. The sales manager named Bill and his associates Ms. Chevelle and Mr. Antonio were awesome. As our child has attended school in Boston, we have continously stayed at this hotel during each visit and everytime they make us feel like it is our last visit with them. They go above and beyond to accomodate our needs and have always been there for us whenever needed. They have worked us into the hotel during last minute reservations. It is centrally located and less than a 5 minute walk to multiple schools, hospitals, business, restaurants, and much more.The location is great and we normally fly into Boston Logan and you do not need a cab due to its easily assessible location. All we have to do is take the subway straight to the hotel for $2.50 one way. Keep up the good work and we will be back soon.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Sherry W
Reviewed February 5, 2014

When I need to stay in the Coolidge Corner area my first choice is The Samuel Seward Inn. Unfortunately there were no rooms available. The Courtyard was also booked and I do not like the Holiday Inn. I had some trepidation about staying at the Longwood Inn based on some of the reviews, but its eemed to be the best choice, The location is excellent and the T is only minutes away.
The room I was assigned was small, but that did not concern me. I only needed a clean room and a decent bathroom. I was not planning to spend much time in the room. Upon check-in the office was in total disarray. The manager looked really stressed out. The room was cold. So I turned up the heat. It was not getting any warmer so I went downstairs to the manager and he said to wait a bit longer because there was a draft coming through the windows. Since he was leaving at 9:00, as it approached 9 PM i went down again and told him that there was still no heat. Plus the doorknob was broken. He reassigned me to a room on the first floor. I opened the door only to find that the room was not made up and the sheets were all over the place!! I hunted down the manager. By now I was a bit perturbed. The manager then said to me, AND THIS IS AN EXACT QUOTE " I'm not having such a good day either." He then assigned me to a room on the third floor which was very nice and comfortable.
I was there for two nights and after the initial issues, all went well. Next time, however, I will book at the Samuel Seward. There is a nice kitchen at the Longwood Inn and the lobby is very cozy and relaxing. However, I think the Samuel Seward is a better bet. The manager did do his best, so I cannot fault him,
Here is a tip. When parking, try to park along the side of the building or the closest two parking spots to the driveway and DO NOT BACK IN. The way the parking lot is set up, It can be difficult to back out of the middle spots against the back fence if there are cars parked alongside the building.
Two other things needs to be mentioned. The key is on one of those large plastic keychains with the name of the hotel and the room number on it. I do not think this is very safe at all. And I do have some concerns about the wiring. I am not an electrician and I an sure the place has passed code, but seeing all sorts of wires and hookups gave me some pause.
If you find this review helpful, please click on the green Yes button. Thank you.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask if the heat is working in the room before unpacking.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
9  Thank nuds78
123LongwoodInn, Manager at Longwood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

I sorry that nuds78 had an unsettling experience while checking in at the Longwood Inn. When guests stay here I want them to feel comfortable and at home. I feel that he was let down in this respect which is disappointing to me, regardless of whether he planned to stay repeatedly or just one night.

I would like to respond to some of his comments.

We are just starting a complete renovation of the office at the inn which involved moving everything out of the room, furniture, telephones, computers etc., so the work could be done. He arrived late on a Thursday and, since workmen were coming in the following Monday, I had to get the temporary office up and running by the end of the next day. When he arrived I had been working on this as well as watching the office by myself for several hours. Being under a time restraint to finish while having numerous interruptions going on at the same time was rather stressful. Many things can be stressful when working with the public. I try not to let it affect the way I treat people.

The exposed wiring consisted of telephone and internet patch cord wiring that I was sorting out and running to a temporary office, none of which had enough current in it to produce a hazard. All electrical work done at the inn currently and in the past is done by licensed electricians and inspected by the town of Brookline to make sure it is up to code.

The knob on the room door is not broken. It is part of the original hardware of the house which is about 100 years old. Over the years the spindle on the knob has worn somewhat making it loose. But it it still functions well. I have, however, spoken with the owner who is planning on replacing all of the old knob sets with new ones.

When nuds78 told me his room was cold I went up with him to check it out. I found that the top of the window was open slightly and letting cold air into the room. I shut and locked it and told him to wait 15 minutes or so to see if the room started to heat up. I asked him to see me in the office if it didn’t. A couple of hours went by and I didn’t hear from him, so I assumed that the problem was solved. Shortly before 9 p.m. he came to the office to tell me there was still no heat. I checked the room and found that the radiator was cold, so I offered to switch him to a different, larger room that was vacant that night. He agreed and I gave him the room key. The following day I had the heat in the first room checked and some faulty equipment was replaced to fix the heating problem. If it had been necessary I would have had it repaired that night.

A few minutes after getting the key to the second room he came to the office telling me it was not made up. I went to the room and was rather shocked to find out that he was right. Our policy is to have any room thoroughly cleaned whenever someone checks out of it, regardless of whether or not it is booked for the following night. The morning manager had apparently missed the fact that someone had checked out that morning and put it down as already clean when making up the cleaning list for the day. The housekeeper then neglected to go into the room to check it, which is part of her job. As a result it did not get cleaned that day. Had I known this I would not have given nuds78 the room key. All of the managers have since been told to double check cleaning lists for accuracy and the housekeeping staff has been reminded that they are to go into and check all rooms every day except those with “Do Not Disturb”signs on them.

I happened to have a third room also open that night which he agreed to take. I went to the room with him to make sure that it was properly made up and the heat working, which it was. He said he was satisfied, expressed appreciation for my efforts and remained in that room for the length of his stay. Had this room not been available I would have cleaned the second room myself for him.

In regards to the parking situation, whenever we get any appreciable amount of snow our parking lot is plowed and the snow around and in front of cars is removed with shovels and a snow blower. We do our best to keep the lot and walks around the house as clear as possible so the building is accessible and to prevent accidents. Though it is impossible to remove every bit of snow and ice, people regularly drive in and out of all of the spaces in the lot after it has snowed, myself included. If anyone is having difficulty getting out of a spot and asks for help I am more than willing to give it.

Most inns, B & B’s and motels that I have stayed at have had keys on plastic tags with the name, address and room number on them. These are very common items. The only places I’ve been to that did not have them were large hotels that have electronic key systems. I have never had any security issues in having the hotel and room number attached to a key, either in my own travels or my experiences at the Longwood Inn.

The comment I made that he refers to was intended as humor. I had no intention of being rude or implying that he did not have valid complaints. In retrospect I realize that I was venting my own frustrations and was entirely out of place. He is not here to listen to my problems, I am here to help him with his. I regret having said it and am truly sorry if I offended him.

We have standard procedures in place at the inn to insure that rooms and common areas will be clean and comfortable for guests and that the building and grounds are kept safe and in good condition. Reading this review has made me realize that we had become somewhat lax in following these procedures and there are some issues that need to be addressed. I am sorry that nuds78 did not have a better experience at the Longwood Inn. I would prefer to have him stay here in the future or recommend us to a friend rather than to my competition. However, I am grateful for having these problems brought to my attention so they can be remedied.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

There are two places to stay on Longwood Avenue. They are both near Children's Hospital. This one, Longwood Inn, is much cheaper but down the road in Brookline. The other place is the Inn at Longwood Medical and it is in Boston right next door to Children's. Both are located on the same street, Longwood Ave.

The Longwood Inn is a ten to fifteen minute walk to Children's.
The pros: It would be great in warm months if you had to go to Children's Hospital. It was very clean and homey.
The cons: There were no hair dryers and it was hard to reach someone on the phone during business hours.
Back to the pros: When I did reach a person, after many tries, they were gracious, very accommodating and helpful when our plans went awry. They were also true to their word. That goes a long way these days.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank TCL-Coolidge
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I chose this Inn because it was located just a few blocks from my 82 year old Mother's condo (too small for me to stay with her) and the price was right. $116/night which is about half of all the other places I looked. The room I had was on the third floor (no elevator) which was fine, the Manager John asked if this was OK with me before making my reservation. The bathroom was small, but the fixtures clean and in working order. The bed was good. I have a bad back and usually walk around like I am crippled when I sleep on hotel beds. Not here, not one twinge in my back. There is a full kitchen, a coin-operated laundry and dining room for all guests to share. OK, the down side. The stove was broken when I checked in and it was three days until it was fixed. That said, I had leftovers and the microwave worked. In the middle of my stay, the washing machine broke. It was not fixed for the entire duration of the rest of my stay (3 more days). Folks spilled food on the table cloth on the dining room table and it was not changed for the entire 6 days I was there. The towels and and amenities (soap and breck shampoo) were minimalist. So if you are looking for luxury, this is not it. But for the price, they were fine. There are flat screen TVs in every room with satellite service. And you cannot beat the location. Two blocks to one MBTA line and four blocks to another one. Four blocks to a Trader Joe's, numerous restaurants, and shops. The Inn itself was quiet although the stairs squeek when folks walk on them, but the house is old, its to be exptected. There were numerous sirens all day and night because the Inn is also close to the Brookline hospital center (Beth Israel, Deaconess, Women's and Brighams, and others I think). Planning to stay here again the next time I travel to see my Mom.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank WIsconsinTravelerToo
Reviewed November 1, 2013

we spent two nights here in a remodeled victorian home. The place is nice actually & a great location for all means of transportation, plus a neat town of Brookline. However, do not book room 24, as you have to cross the outside hallway to access your bathroom in which you also have to unlock, it is spooky in the middle of the night. The bathroom is large & clean, but very unhandy to use. Plus the room is small & only one DOUBLE BED, which was very uncomfortable, you rolled to the middle. I have not slept on a double for eons! The room was very nicely kept & clean + modernized decor. No coffee pot or coffee downstairs as promised or a hair dryer either. It is reasonably priced & we liked the place, but they do need to read their reviews and correct some things. Staff was nice & we did not mind the stairs to climb& we are 70 yrs. and good shape.

Room Tip: do not book room 24
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SalmonPatty2013
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed at Longwood recently and had a great time. The inn was easy to access from many of the subway stops. We stayed up on the third floor, so we climbed stairs, but we were prepared for that. It was clean, the room was small, but nice. The bathroom had a tub/shower combo. Beds were clean and comfortable, window A/C was available if needed, though the nights were cool during our stay. We sat out on the back deck almost every night enjoying conversation. We didn't use the kitchen, but it was nice that it was there. Our last night we had a rental car and parking was not an issue at all. I would stay there again and I would recommend it to someone as well. There is a grocery store just down the street, and many restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: The rooms are all different, ours had a tub/shower but our friends who were right down the hall had...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank memorris01
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookline
Fenway / Kenmore
The Inn at Longwood Medical
Fenway / Kenmore
The Verb Hotel
The Verb Hotel
#11 of 84 in Boston

Been to Longwood Inn? Share your experiences!