Longwood Inn
  • Fitness center
  • Breakfast included
The Verb Hotel(Boston)
  • Restaurant
All reviewscommon kitchencoolidge cornershared kitchenfully equipped kitchenthird floorback porchno elevatorold mansionwalking distancemedical schoolfenway parkminute walkcorner roomtwo blockshome away from homegreen linelongwood
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Great location. Excellent value. Free parking and friendly staff. Bed was on the small side which was OK for us at 250 Lbs. total weight. Would be a tight fit for larger people. Mattress was way too soft but OK for one night. Room looked like it had a recent renovation including the bath. The inn had lots of charm. The wifi could use a bit more bandwidth. Would stay their again when in Boston.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed November 29, 2012

There's nothing wrong with the Longwood Inn but I'll look for another place next time I want to stay in Brookline. We reserved for a Saturday night and were told that we had to stay 2 nights and said okay. We arrived on Friday and the man at he desk said we'd havee to pay for the thursday night we missed. they had booked us for Thursday-Friday, not Friday-Saturday. He was nice about changing the reservation and we were lucky that had a room open on Saturday. We had asked for a room that wasn't on the first floor. The woman who took the reservation told us that the apartment was open and was up a flight of stairs, which it was as you climbed up from the driveway. The bedroom windows were on the street level and noisy. Luckily they had a room on the 3rd floor that was open for the 2 nights we needed. They don't give breakfast but have a kitchen you can use. The location is great, an easy walk to Harvard St.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
123LongwoodInn, General Manager at Longwood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

There apparently was a misunderstanding regarding the dates when this reservation was taken. I did not take the reservation myself and I cannot say if it was the inn’s fault, the guest’s fault or a combination of the two. According to our reservation records, the booking at the Longwood Inn for Jarlan was for Thursday and Friday nights. Why he was told there was a 2 night minimum stay I don’t know. This is definitely not the case. We have a great many guests stay for one night only.

On Friday morning, after he had not shown up the night before, we removed him from our schedule thinking that he had decided not to stay and neglected to notify us. This has happened more times than I care to think about, even with people that have paid deposits in advance. I was in the office later in the day on Friday when he did arrive. Thinking that he had just not shown up I told him that I expected payment for the previous night, especially since the inn had otherwise been completely booked out. At this point he informed me that he had booked it starting on Friday, not Thursday. Since the apartment that had been booked for him was available for Friday and Saturday I decided to give it to him for those nights and not worry about Thursday night.

The neighborhood around the inn is fairly quiet. However, when he found out that the bedroom faced out onto the street he told me he was concerned about not being able to sleep due to traffic noise. I instead gave him a room on the top floor facing the back of the house away from the street. I also gave him credit for the difference in price between the room and the apartment.

I am sorry that Jarlan had to go through this when he arrived here and that he will not be back. We try to make everyone’s stay at the Longwood Inn a positive one.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

For anyplace else to stay. I travel to Boston from time to time for business, pleasure, and to visit family. I am always trying to find that "just right" place. No need to anymore. The inn is beautiful and comfortable and affordable. There is a lot to walk to, and there is easy access to the "T", which makes everything else in Boston easy to reach. The neighborhood is a beautiful residential neighborhood, but just a few blocks from a lot of stores / restaurants / bars, etc... The inn itself is just like "home" if your home is huge, old, classic, and perfectly-maintained. You need to be OK with stairs and walking though, otherwise you will need to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Lovely old world charm and warmth about this place. My daughter and I had a very comfortable large room which was clean. We found it easy to get about Boston from here and found good local shops and restaurants too. The staff were helpful but it was Rhonda that made our stay very easy from the point of view of finding our way around and organizing tickets - we are hugely grateful to her for all her help and time. And, a huge thanks too to one of their long term guests who invited us to stay there and added all the finishing touches to make our stay extra special.

Room Tip: We had a large room on the top floor with 2 double beds so plenty of space.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Service staff just excellent. Cannot wait to return. We were at a wedding at this beautiful castle and it was just outstanding. The decor is just charming and all the staff is just charming. Will return to this venue soon again. Thank you to all who took care of us.

• Stayed: November 2012