“A great priced hotel in a lovely old building”
Review of Longwood Inn

Longwood Inn
Ranked #6 of 11 Brookline B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 8, 2012

After spending way too much for a hotel far away from BU, I wanted to be close to my daughter. This inn is modest, but beautiful in a lovely neighborhood. It is not elegant, but clean and unique. Great old wood, lovely sitting areas and small but adequate rooms. The price is right!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed October 8, 2012

The room was small but adequate, particularly for the low price. There is a kitchen available - no other food service. Within walking distance of Trader Joe's, restaurants, T. NO ELEVATOR, NARROW STAIRS TO 3RD FLOOR, which was where we were. Ice, vending was 4 floors below us. All-in-all a fine place for the very self-sufficient traveler.

Room Tip: No elevators, so from basement parking to 3rd floor is 4 flights.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2012

The Longwood Inn was great. We were in town to go to a show at the Agganis arena, about a 15 walk. The staff was polite and helpful. The Inn was clean and the common spaces large. We enjoyed sitting on the back deck while eating our lunch.
The room was of ample size as was the bathroom. Nothing fancy but the bathroom did have a small marble counter and was very well cleaned. I would stay here again and or recommend it to a friend.

Room Tip: We were in room 23 with private bath and window facing the large town park behind the inn. There wa...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This is a wonderful place to stay when visiting Boston. Big, beautiful house with many rooms and a kitchen you share with other guests. T station/stop is close by. Nice people run the place & it's in a quiet, safe neighborhood. Will stay there again for sure!

Room Tip: Our room was right over the kitchen so you could smell food when people were cooking but really only...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2012

So so pleased with the Longwood Inn! Can't wait to go back again!

So easy to walk to Coolidge Corner for CVS, Body Shop, Paneras!, Wine & Spirits shop, everything you could want just 10 minutes away. Was excited that there's a Trader Joe's very close too, but it was soooo crowded-there's even police in the parking lot at times!! Ridiculously close to many of the T stops on Beacon (C line) and the D line too! Then it's literally just 15-20 minutes downtown! Beautiful area, was lovely to just walk through the neighborhood.

All staff were friendly. Ronda was great, I had stopped in to retrieve my luggage the last day & asked which of the T stops were the closest, don't mind walking, but dragging my suitcase is another matter! She said if I'd wait a few minutes, she was leaving & would go with me. So not only had a personal escort, but also enjoyed her company until the Airport stop! Thanks Ronda!

Boston itself is amazing!! This was my first time. I've been to many major cities & it's my new favorite after London! I was there 4 days, had a 3 day Go Boston card & a 7 day Transit Card, both were well worth the $$! Definitely check out the Duck Tour (bonus w/Go Boston card) and the Museum of Science (not just for kids!)-right now there's a Shipwreck Exhibition (through Mar 3, 2013) that I found absolutely fascinating!!

Faneuil Hall & the Quincy Market were fun too! Lots of cool shopping & great food options! Although for a great & cheap-ish meal, check out the Whole Foods at 181 Cambridge (downtown)-Exit T at Government Center, turn left to go around the building & out to Cambridge Street, then turn right, not too far & it's set back in a plaza building-they have several hot bars with all kinds of yummy food, had a big plate for less than $5!!!

4 days wasn't enough, I can't wait to go back & explore more of Boston & stay at the Longwood Inn again!!

Room Tip: Save some $$ & get the room with a detached bathroom, I saved $45 for 3 nights by just walking a...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stayed here while visiting BIDMC and Boston Children's which is only a short and pleasant walk. The houses on Longwood in this area are beautiful and staying here gives you the ability to see a house like this from the inside.
My room (#21) was huge with three beds and private bathroom which was very clean and nice. There was also a "fire place" in the room. I like the living room and kitchen but did not see many other guests. I appreciated the wireless internet for free. It's really a pity that no breakfasts are served. There is also not a coffee shop really close by. You can make coffee, which I did every morning. And you can cook which I did not do.

What I did not like is that the house keeper is only available after 9 am which is a bit unhandy if you want to check out properly. Also the room was on the road site and was a bit noisy but this is mainly due to the quality of the roads, the cars, the tires and the driving style in the USA in general compared to what I am used to in Europe. Did not hear any noises from other guests.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I called the Longwood Inn on a Saturday evening-I spoke to a women and made a reservation. It was a great deal. Was going to fenway park to a game with my daughter for her birthday. What I didn't realize is that when the Longwood Inn office closes for the evening,the phone is forwarded to the Longwood Inn of Crystal Cove. When I called, the women who answered the phone said "Longwood Inn". I made a reservation with her and paid for it and everything. I called on Monday to ask some questions about the reservation and the guy who answered said he didn't have a reservation for me. That's when he told me that I had made a reservation at Longwood Inn of Crystal Cove. I said to him I did not make a reservation at Crystal Cove. He had to call me back. When I heard from him again, he said that they didn't have rooms for that price and if I wanted to stay there that I would have to pay 66 dollars more. I told him, that none of this was my fault and I thought that they should make it right. He said to me that he would call the owner and see what they could do. When he called me back again, he said the owner said I could either pay the extra and stay at the Longwood Inn or I could keep the reservation for the Longwood Inn of Crystal Cove. My only other option was to cancel the reservation and they would refund my money. I had them cancel the reservation and refund me the money. I would not recommend this place to anyone!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
123LongwoodInn, Manager at Longwood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

On Saturday Sep. 15 the Longwood Inn was closed at 2 p.m. We turned on call forwarding to our other location, the Inn at Crystal Cove, which took our calls until they closed at 10 p.m. In situations like these the telephone is answered “Hello, you have reached the Inn at Crystal Cove and Longwood Inn”. Becky W called after the Longwood Inn had closed when she made the reservation in question. The woman who answered does not work at the Longwood Inn at all, only at the Inn at Crystal Cove, and is used to answering the phone with “Hello, you have reached the Inn at Crystal Cove”. I was not there at the time, but I think it unlikely that she would have answered “Hello, you have reached the Longwood Inn”.
According to our records, Becky W found out about the Longwood Inn on the internet. Our own website clearly states the prices of our rooms. We do not have any rooms at $99 per night, either at high or low season. If she saw the lower price at a different site we can not be held accountable for it. When she was given a price of close to half of the normal rate during busy season she should have realized that something was wrong and said something about it.
I spoke with Becky W within 36 hours of her having made the reservation and realized that a misunderstanding had occurred. I had one room available at the Longwood Inn for the night she wanted to stay, for which we charge $159 per night. I told her I would be happy to rent it to her, but I couldn’t give her the price of $99 which she had been quoted at our other location. If she did not want to book the room that I had available at the regular price I told her we would give her a full refund and she would still have a week to find other accomodations. She accused me of trying to pull a switch and bait on her and insisted in an intimidating manner that we were obligated to give her the room at the lower price. She threatened that if we didn’t she would go online and put up a damaging review of the inn.
I do not feel she is entitled to a room at such a steep discount under these circumstances.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookline
Fenway / Kenmore
The Inn at Longwood Medical
Fenway / Kenmore
The Verb Hotel
The Verb Hotel
#9 of 85 in Boston

Been to Longwood Inn? Share your experiences!