“Very comfortable and a perfect location at an excellent price”
Review of Beacon Inn

Beacon Inn
Ranked #4 of 11 Brookline B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Very comfortable and a perfect location at an excellent price”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We had a massive room with a very comfortable bed and a 42 inch flat screen TV. The Inn was very clean and front desk staff was extremely helpful and friendly. They also serve fresh coffee all day long, which we really enjoyed. The location can't be beat. The T is right across the street and they are just a 15 minute walk to Fenway Park. We will definaly be back!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ken F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Seattle
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

The room was very dirty and noisy. Hotel staff took towels one morning without replacing any of them. I blew a fuse as soon as I turned on the provided hair dryer. Gross continental breakfast and advertised wifi was not functional. Room was so cold at night that I couldn't sleep and there was no thermostat available for temperature control. Very disappointed and would not suggest this place to anyone.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Abby F
Waltham, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I had tickets to an event at Fenway Park in Boston on New Years Eve. Last minute I decided to get a hotel to avoid driving that night. The day before Nears Eve, I could not find anything under $200 (obviously). I stumbled across the Beacon Inn, located directly on the T, two stops from Boston and a 10 minute walk from Fenway Park. This place saved our night. The room was big and warm and cozy, the neighborhood was quiet and they provided a refrigerator upon request with a microwave available in the common area. The staff was very nice and knowledgeable of the area and we would be happy to go back. If we got to the hotel by 3 the day of check-in, they provided parking onsite for a small fee. We showed up later and were able to park just a 2 minute walk away for a little cheaper. Loved this place!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Solvang, California
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We won't be back to the Beacon Inn (1087). In Nov 2013, my husband and I visited Boston and stayed three nights at this inn. It seemed cool at first to be staying in a real Boston brownstone. The character and quaintness quickly wore off starting our first night. Unfortunately, we did not go far enough in reviewing others' reviews before staying here. Now I see that others have had the same (some worse) experiences we had - practically non-existent maid service, bathroom left unclean, trash not emptied, grungy bed linens, peeling wall paper, extreme heat from central heat system, and the owners completely cheaped out on the continental breakfast (applies to the food and the paper plates and cups), and room amenities. There are three guest parking spaces out back in the alley. The fee to park in one of these was $25 per day compared to the average $40 per day at most other places. On our last night, we returned from a day of site seeing to find the heat up so high in our room it had to be in excess of 80 degrees - impossible to spend time or go to sleep in a room this temperature. Opening the window to the noisy street below to let in cold, crisp air gave no relief. The one front lobby staff person goes home around 9pm, and an emergency contact protocol sheet is left in the lobby. I called the "emergency" number and reached a disinterested man. I told him I was calling from the Beacon Inn and he immediately told me to call another number - didn't inquire as to the reason for the call or anything. I called the number he gave me, thinking he must be referring me to someone who could help. Instead it was the number to the front desk of the Beacon - the one that reaches an after hours answer machine because the staff has gone home.... Good thing it wasn't a dire emergency! Since we could not reach anyone to help with the heat, we went down to the deserted lobby ourselves to see if we could find the controls for the heat. We found a thermostat and adjusted the temperature so that the heat stopped pumping to our room. Whew... An economical room is one thing, but this place is not what it appears - reallyi dolled up on the website and very misleading in comparison to what we found when we actually arrived. The photos on the website are clearly not recent - they made the rooms look much nicer. The owner needs to invest a little more money and service into this hotel. The fact the room rate is lower than most other places and the parking was $15 per day cheaper did not quite make up for the overall grungy atmosphere and lack of interest by the owner (?) on the phone.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, make sure your bathroom is attached to your room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank C L
Beacon I, Manager at Beacon Inn, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
The Beacon Inn prides itself on being able to keep the charm and warmth associated to a private home or brownstone while away on travel. We are happy you appreciated the “character” and “quaintness” we strive to maintain. We however would like to directly address the other concerns identified in this review.
There is a full time housekeeping staff onsite which refreshes all occupied rooms on a daily basis. This service includes linen/towel refresh and cleaning in addition to trash removal and room upkeep. No concerns were brought to the front desk regarding cleanliness as they would have been dealt with accordingly and in a timely fashion. The continental breakfast is light and identified as such on the Inn description page. We are happy to provide this amenity which includes bagels, muffins, pastries, cereal and a selection of hot beverages. The plates, cups and utensils offered are such to ensure each guest is able to bring any food items with them be it to their respective room or out on their related work or travel needs.
Temperature is consistently monitored at the Inn and each room has access to a level of control through dedicated air vents. Unfortunately changing the temperature on the lobby floor by this guest did result in a temperature swing and we ask that future guests refrain from this action. Due to the location of the Inn we cannot control the noise generated by city life but have recently installed new, sound dampening windows to try and mitigate any noise disturbances. While some prefer the hustle and bustle of the city we are also happy to offer rooms facing the rear courtyard which offer a quieter more suburban like atmosphere.
There is an emergency 24hr phone line which is monitored and the Inn messages are checked regularly. Your experience is unique and has not been identified by any other guest however we have reviewed and audited the process as a precaution. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
As identified in the review the Beacon Inn has purposely and consciously placed itself to be an economical and high value choice for any travel or visit to the Boston area. We are happy to provide the option for cost effective parking at the Inn but often advise against it, driving in the city can be a chore. The Inn is also conveniently located just steps from the Boston “T” (subway) on the green line which can take you anywhere in the city.
The website photos are without a doubt the rooms located at the Inn and we strive to keep each room looking its best. Should there be a concern our host, housekeeping or maintenance staff are all available and happy to help. There are only 3 out of 25 rooms with detached, room exclusive/private baths but are identified as such on the website. In an attempt to keep this beautiful brownstone building looking as original as possible these 3 or 25 identified rooms have this option but the majority are equipped with en suite bathrooms.
We truly appreciate your feedback.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I stayed at the Beacon Inn for a week from 14th to 21st October and loved it! A long trip to Boston from Auckland New Zealand!
After a slight hiccup re my room the staff couldn't have been more helpful. Breakfast was fine. Exactly what it states on the website. Location was wonderful with a supermarket across the street & a laundry a three minute walk down the street and the subway literally right outside. My room was lovely & clean & towels changed daily.
Thank you to you all for making my stay so enjoyable. I looked forward to coming 'home' to my gorgeous room each night!

Room Tip: Would be quite a climb to 4th floor for elderly guests!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Judy K
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed October 12, 2013

The first night we stayed in the Isabella Stewart Gardner Room and the second and third nights we stayed in the Symphony Room. I checked very thoroughly and did not find any bed bugs as I have read in previous comments.
The rooms were semi-clean...not spotless but not grungy either.
The staff was friendly and breakfast was fine. They don't advertise a gourmet breakfast, so there was no disappointment with the cereal, bagels and muffins that were provided.
The location of the Inn alone was worth the money. The Green Line is almost directly outside, making traveling anywhere in Boston extremely convenient.
I reserved a parking spot ahead of time and did not have any issues.
Overall, it was a good experience and I'd stay at the Beacon Inn again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah P
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I reserved a parking space and was informed that i MUST park within the yellow lines or my car would be towed. My rental car didn't fit so I parked elsewhere. The parking fee was NOT refunded even though I was told it would be if the car didn't fit. I will not waste my hard earned money here again. The "breakfast" was laughable and they ran out of washcloths. We travel to Boston twice a year to visit family, and have NEVER been treated this way elsewhere. I will just stay some where else from now on.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank rebecca g
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookline
The Verb Hotel
Hotel Commonwealth
#8 of 83 in Boston
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,314 reviews
Boston Hotel Buckminster

Been to Beacon Inn? Share your experiences!