“Not terrible” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 12 Brookline B&B and Inns
Cleveland, Ohio
“Not terrible”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

The first night we stayed in the Isabella Stewart Gardner Room and the second and third nights we stayed in the Symphony Room. I checked very thoroughly and did not find any bed bugs as I have read in previous comments.
The rooms were semi-clean...not spotless but not grungy either.
The staff was friendly and breakfast was fine. They don't advertise a gourmet breakfast, so there was no disappointment with the cereal, bagels and muffins that were provided.
The location of the Inn alone was worth the money. The Green Line is almost directly outside, making traveling anywhere in Boston extremely convenient.
I reserved a parking spot ahead of time and did not have any issues.
Overall, it was a good experience and I'd stay at the Beacon Inn again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Memphis, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I reserved a parking space and was informed that i MUST park within the yellow lines or my car would be towed. My rental car didn't fit so I parked elsewhere. The parking fee was NOT refunded even though I was told it would be if the car didn't fit. I will not waste my hard earned money here again. The "breakfast" was laughable and they ran out of washcloths. We travel to Boston twice a year to visit family, and have NEVER been treated this way elsewhere. I will just stay some where else from now on.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank rebecca g

Travelers are raving about these Brookline hotels

Oslo, Norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

The building is very old and squeeky, almost haunted looking. The breakfast consists of cereal and toast. But Kenmore Square is a short walk away with restaurants and take-out places. But I booked a non-smoking room, and got a room reeking of old sigarettes. It was actually pretty disgusting. The only positive side of my stay was the helpful receptionist, and clean towels.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Beacon I, Manager at Beacon Inn, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
We were glad our front desk could be of service to this guest throughout her stay, however there are some serious misrepresentations in this review that we would like to clarify. The Beacon Inn is a historic Boston brownstone built in the late 1800s. Our building features beautiful original woodwork and period details such as wide-plank hardwood floors and ornamental fireplaces. (You may look at the pictures at the top of this page and on our website for reference.) The fact that our charming hotel is "very old" is a selling point for most visitors. As far as quality of our breakfast, this guest checked out before breakfast service begins at 8:00am, so these comments are neither informed nor accurate. As advertised, we serve a light continental breakfast consisting of bagels, English muffins, and an assortment of pastries in addition to cold and hot cereal and coffee and tea available throughout the day. We would also like to point out that in accordance with local laws, our rooms are entirely smoke-free and we take violations of this policy very seriously. No one has been allowed to smoke in these rooms for many years. After reading this review, we immediately made a further inspection of the room in question and did not find any evidence of cigarette smoke.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I stayed at the beacon inn this past week. Let me tell you my stay was amazing! First off the hostess Andrea was the nicest lady in the world, helped me with directions around town, my room and anything I needed. Best hostess I've ever dealt with!!
The rooms were really nice, great location in town, very clean and the a.c was at a perfect setting. If I ever make back to Boston I'm staying there again.
Thanks so much!!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Mrobbins1
Beacon I, Manager at Beacon Inn, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
We appreciate your kind feedback and we hope to see you again! Our hosts are always happy to provide directions, restaurant recommendations, and more for our guests.
Bilbao, España
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

The place was good, the room was big and very comfortable, with a fridge where you could store some food or beverages. The staff was very nice and helpful. There're two locations for Beacon Inn, be sure to book the right one. The I choose, 1087 Beacon St is just in front of the Tube (T), so it's very easy to get to the center of Boston. You can't park outside the place at night, so be careful and book a parking spot if you bring a car (you can do that with the help of the staff in reception).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank nebulus2k
Beacon I, Manager at Beacon Inn, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you for staying with us! We hope you think of us again if you return to the area. As far as our parking, we do offer limited spaces at both locations and we simply ask that our guests call in advance to reserve a spot and we will always do our best to accommodate your needs!
Canonsburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

On a whim we stayed at the Beacon Inn. Ali was very accommodating and helpful. I love the old character of the brownstone style and the Inn has that. Our room was spacious, comfy and clean:) one thing that upset me was the tenant in the next room was very loud coming in at 12:30-12:45AM. There are wood floors in the hallways and it echoes footsteps, keys rattling, and door knobs turning/ shutting. I happen to be a light sleeper, but even with the air on....I still was up for an hour waiting for who ever it was to finally settle into their room. Breakfast also was mediocre. A positive....you can get on the T directly across the street! So easy to get into the city.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

The Beacon Inn is a run-of-the-mill bed and breakfast. If you're looking for a five star hotel, this is not the place for you; but if you are simply seeking a decent place to sleep for a couple of nights, look no further. My family and I stayed at the Beacon Inn on a trip to see multiple colleges in Boston. We picked this particular location because of its great location, with Boston University and Fenway Park being a mere 15-20 minute walk away and a T stop right out front.

The rooms at the Beacon Inn are impressive. We stayed in the Fenway (on the second floor), which had enough room for 5-6 people. Just be aware that they will charge you for every extra person staying in the same room. The atmosphere was awesome. It gave off that cool old brownstone vibe while being equipped with a flat screen television and cable with HBO and Xfinity. The beds were very comfortable too! My only complaint in regards to the room is the very, very small bathroom.

Breakfast is completely free and is served right there on the first floor, but it isn't anything special. They provide a basic continental breakfast (muffins, danishes, bread, cereal) with a toaster and a Keurig on hand. In all honesty, the best part of this breakfast display is the Nutella.

The only other thing worth mentioning about the Beacon Inn is the parking situation. We called ahead of time to reserve a spot for our Chevy Traverse. They said that it wouldn't be a problem finding a spot for such a large vehicle. Wrong. We wound up parking at least a quarter mile away from the inn, and we paid $9 more a day. That was an utter disappointment.

Overall, the Beacon Inn isn't bad. Give this place a go if you need a place to stay in Boston for a short while!

Room Tip: There is no elevator. Don't choose a top floor if you're a heavy packer!