“Surpassed Expectations”

Ranked #4 of 11 Brookline B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Surpassed Expectations”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

After reading some of the reviews here, I wasn't looking forward to my stay at Beacon Inn.
Fortunately, my fears were unfounded. We were travelling in a party of 3 and were given a room with 3 double beds and were lucky to be assigned a room on the 2nd floor. Do note that there isn't an elevator and those with substantial luggage will face some difficulty.
The cleanliness of the room given to us was satisfactory although beds were on the soft side.
The property itself is in a charming residential neighbourhood with a T stop almost right in front of the inn which makes going into the city a breeze. With the high prices hotels in Boston command, Beacon Inn is highly recommended for those who are budget conscious and don't mind the short commute to the city.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank sgguy t

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Perth Amboy, New Jersey
Reviewed November 7, 2012

When a person is looking for a nice cozy place to stay Beacon has it all. As soon as I arrived Robbie at the front desk, was extremely helpful! He gave my family and I very good rooms for excellent prices. The view from the rooms were very beautiful as well. The rooms were very nicely decorated and they were very warming, it makes you feel like you're back at home.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
vienna, virginia
Reviewed November 3, 2012

The Beacon Inn is a brownstone in historic Brookline, Massachusetts. We stayed in an attic room, following a four-flight, luggage-laden walk up. But the bathroom was the highlight. There were loose ceramic tiles in front of the sink and one could stand on sliding tiles or on a plywood sub floor. The toilet was nestled almost under the sink, making it necessary to slide sideways onto the seat and then to swing knees under the sink. There was a “continental b'fast.” But where to eat? Stand, sit outside on the stoop, or carry food up four flights. The Inn also has $20 a night, on-premise parking. Cars are parked two deep. The front one up against the building. The rear one leaves keys at the desk so the driver of the blocked car can move the blocking car. On the plus side, Beacon Inn price are less than other facilities in the area. However, sometimes you feel that you didn't get what you paid for

Room Tip: Elevator to upper rooms? Dining area for breakfast?
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
MadameMarzouki
Reviewed September 2, 2012

It is not properly managed, was fined 500$ for smoking, yes the amount of money came as shock for me, Julia, at the front desk who charged me mentioned that if i smoked, the sheets would have to be changed, this indicated that the sheets are not usually changed, and if i missed breakfast, she wouldn't provide me with any food, all you hear from her is "sorry" all the time, my direct manager this, my direct manager that, she threatened to kick me out of the place though i stayed there for quite awhile, unlike the rest who were decent enough to assist me with whatever I needed, this made me tolerate the rest of my stay, Charles have been extremely helpful and kind, treated me with courtesy and respect, made me feel welcomed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Reviewed August 5, 2012

The staff--Charles in particular--were outstanding and enormously helpful. The Inn is a beautiful old brownstone, and the room was lovely and comfortable. The Inn is very well situated, with excellent restaurants a few blocks in both directions and a T-stop across the street. The only complaint was that the breakfast is very limited (no protein apart from milk) and that the rooms were not very sound-proof. Overall, an excellent value and highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ian S
Delmar, New York
Reviewed June 30, 2012

The Beacon Inn at 1087 Beacon St. is in an attractive townhouse not far from Coolidge Corner, where there are restaurants and a wonderful movie theater, and very convenient to the Longwood area hospitals. Our room was clean, spacious, and beautifully decorated. For a traveler using the T there is a stop near by, and it is not a difficult walk to Kenmore Square or Fenway Park (I used to live in the neighborhood).

There is no elevator in the inn, so if that is an issue, stay elsewhere. Our room had a shower, but no bath. Again, for some this is not a problem. I don't know if any rooms have baths. Noise could be troublesome for some, as the trolley does run past the inn on the street side and Beacon St. can be busy. I am a light sleeper and was not bothered, though the construction that started across the street in the morning did wake me up.

Parking is a major concern. There is no overnight parking allowed in Brookline, so if you are driving you will want to try to reserve one of the spaces that the inn has to offer. I would rather that they simply included the price of parking in the price of the room, since, given their location, I suspect that many if not most guests will arrive by car. A minor quibble. They are quite up front about the parking when one makes a reservation.

I would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank PainterRob
New Hudson, Michigan
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Me and my mother stayed at the Beacon Inn April 6 to April 9, 2012. We were placed in the Fenway room. The room was big but dirty. When We went to put our clothes away in the old TV stand it was full of dirt and dust. Also old bad from CVS with a receipt from March 2011. We kept our clothes in our suitcases. The floor under the bed had an inch of dust. The gray rug in the bathroom looked like it had not been clean in a long time. When I asked for face cloth, I was told the guest tend to steal them so they had none. In the three nights we stayed there our room tidy once. The breakfast was coffee, limited tea one choice Earl Gray, yogurt, toast, bagel. No fruit.
No ice machine. You need to eat in your room. Also this room has the fire escape. I left a note with my concerns about there B&B it has been a month and I have not heard from this company. I will not every stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookline
Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Back Bay/Fenway
The Verb Hotel
The Verb Hotel
#11 of 83 in Boston
Boston Hotel Buckminster
The Inn at Longwood Medical

Been to Beacon Inn? Share your experiences!