“For Civil War Buffs”

Fort Washington Park
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors can take a ranger-led tour to explore this historic fort's features and its role as the only defense for the Nation's Capital until the Civil War.
California, Maryland
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“For Civil War Buffs”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

Nice place to take pictures. very nostalgic if you're a Civil War buff. Looks out over the Potomac River. Gorgeous view from there.

1 Thank hughesjm

Fort Washington, Maryland
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“I love this park!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

This park is never crowded. It offers lots of history and park rangers to answer any additional questions. The actual Fort is vitually untouched and aged which I loved. There are places to fish, basketball courts, walking trails along the water, and wide open space for flying kites. I almost didn't review because I didn't want to share just how great this National Park is...

Visited July 2012
1 Thank SreyaNelle
virginia beach
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Absolutely awesome fort.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

If you're in the area this is a must see! Cheap $5 per car. Magnificent views from a very impressive old stone fort on the river! Go there'bn

Jessup, Maryland
145 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 155 helpful votes
“great place to explore”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

On a warmish January Day I took my three children (11, 6, 9) to explore this Fort. I had no expectations and WOW were we surprised by what a huge place it is! LOTS of walking - bear that in mind, but if you don't mind the walking, it's an incredible place for active kids to explore. We never actually saw a single park ranger (seasonal, I'm guessing) but honestly, we had a great time all on our own and reading the signs there. The view of the Potomac here is incredible.

We did take a walk along the shoreline but were very disappointed by all the TRASH. I know it isn't the park's fault but it did make it sort of nasty to walk along there. I had my kids help clean some up and they actually had a ball exploring there too.

There are lots of hills to climb, underground doorways and passages - really, my younger sons especially were like kids in a candy store.

I'm glad my expectations weren't particularly high because the rooms in the fort that you WERE able to go in weren't well-cared for at all, and there was STUFF everywhere, but my people didn't notice. They just enjoyed the freedom to roam and pretend and smash ice with sticks. Again, those rooms might be different in the summer time but it was nice to have the place nearly to ourselves.

Had lunch at the highly-recommended National Harbor, which is only a fifteen minute drive away.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank crayolabird
Tampa, Florida, United States
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“A must SEE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

By far the best fort we saw in the DC area. So glad we stopped by. Rolling hills and free to explore. Well worth the $5.00 car full fee.

Visited June 2012