“Visitor from Campbell, California”

Mc Grath's Fish House
Ranked #238 of 704 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Campbell, CA
“Visitor from Campbell, California”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

We were visiting our Daughter in Vancouver and took she and a friend to McGrath's for lunch. Service was excellent and the food was great. We were very impressed with our server who went out of her way to make sure we had an enjoyable time.

Visited March 2012

Kent
“Good Food & Busy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

Very busy and menu was huge. Get there before 5:00 if yo don't want to wait for at least an hour. Service and food was good.

Visited April 2012
Fontana, California
“I wish there was a 3.5 rating...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

McGrath's is a local chain that has struggled with the economic downturn. I read a couple of reviews about it being pricey, and I would offer my observation that people aren't remembering that your entree usually comes with clam chowder/soup of the day or salad and wonderful, warm sourdough bread that they graciously refill if you want. Our last visit for dinner was just under $40 (with tax and tip) and included two entrees and two 'adult' beverages. I felt that was a good value based on food, atmosphere and service.

The reason I had to go with an overall 3 rating is that this location has always been uneven in its execution. Sometimes the food is not as good as it should be (I agree with another reviewer that the wood grilled items leave something to be desired) and sometimes the server seems to need more training. Other times, we have had truly wonderful experiences that keep us coming back. Luckily, the latter happens more often than the former.

This last visit was very good all around, so I hope they've hit their stride on consistency.

• Visited April 2012
Vancouver, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“unsatisfactory service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2012

03/21/12

Table was reserved for 3 at 1830 on a Wednesday evening. The manager on duty was a Ms. S. Strom.

The server took the order for two sweet manhattans, a single glass of Pinot Gris, and an order of Calamari. The Manhattans were weak , the Pinot was one half of a small wine glass, and the Calamari never arrived. The dinner order were two orders of crab cakes, a Prawn Platter. The crab cakes were mostly filler and dry. The Prawns were actually about 20 ct. Shrimp, most likely ordered from Sysco’s. At least they were of that quality.

After addressing the wine order, only being a half glass, the server offered to bring
an additional glass that would be considered a normal serving at most restaurants. She
returned with another half glass and was asked to return it as unsatisfactory.

The bill was tallied and the Calamari had to be removed as not having been served. The
manager came out and explained that the wine was a standard pour of 4 oz’s. I begged
to differ. She claimed that was standard practice. First, I doubt it was even 3 oz’s, let alone 4. After she, left the server offered to take the inadequate serving of wine off the bill. Another bill was then brought over by the manager and she said that she could only take off the glass that was not served, as if she were going to charge for the unserved order.

The server was very nice. The manager was very surly and aloof. I believe the poor operation they have a McGrath’s totally reflects the attitude of the manager. I would never take guests there, do to the marginally adequate food, inadequate bar fair, and the extremely surliness of the manager that was on duty at the time. The restaurant may have been half full at the time, so there was no excuse for such poor service by a restaurant. I’m surprised they are still in business.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank mike r
Boston, USA
“Mediocre food in a nice environment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2011

This place should be good - nice building, nice outdoor seating, good list of craft beers, good list of local wines, fine service. But the food is Red Lobster level. Small portions on huge plates, heavy sauces and overcooking mar the seafood. I had a shrimp platter with 13 shrimps across three cooking styles served with a tiny bit of pasta and three huge dipping sauce bowls. My friends' meals were no better.
I don't recommend the place at the price.

• Visited December 2011