“A Bit Overpriced. Go here for the View!”
Review of Quay Restaurant and Bar - CLOSED

Quay Restaurant and Bar
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Los Angeles, California
“A Bit Overpriced. Go here for the View!”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

It was Saturday night. We went here because there was a long wait at McMinimum's. This place was hustling too because they were about to have music and a post Halloween party. It was a bit too loud and I had to scream to be heard. Most things on the menu were quite expensive. The burger & fries at $9.00 was the cheapest thing on the menu. It was fine. The burger had flavor. The fries came out warm as if they had been sitting for a while. They had a nice selection of wines and beers by the glass. Our waitress was nice but overextended. My friends told me this is a super place for happy hour. Perhaps, that's the number! Earlier in the day you can actually see the view too!

Visited November 2013

“Good food, great view of sunset”
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

Dinner
Our server was assigned 4 4-person tables, 1 8-person table, 2 2-person tables and 1 3-person table... All at about the same time...Guess the rest...
Food was well prepared and reasonably priced. Would be great for dinner if management staffed the place.
Server had to re do our bill 4 times... Mix up with the other tables, etc.
Not his fault...
Breakfast
Excellent service and food well prepared !

Visited October 2013
“Great food.....phenomenal view!”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The restaurant is very dark with woods, and ship sails. Nicely done. View - unbelievable and food was very good. We had breakfast after staying the night at the Red Lion there. Staff was very friendly.

• Visited September 2013
Seattle
“Better Service Can be Found at Inner-City McDonald's”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Breakfast is included for guests paying for premium rooms at the Red Lion Inn at the Quay; standard options include the pancake combo, eggs/meat/hash browns, fancy granola, and a couple more options. This was a much more substantial selection than I expected, with the voucher breakfast options normally priced $8-11.

As I walked up to the host desk, a staff spat out "One.". No greeting, no smile, just a declaration that I was seemingly an intrusion on her quiet morning. Four other tables were each seated with one guest, and two tables with two guests. Most were mid-meal.

First, the upside: I was seated at a window table to take in a glorious view of the Columbia River and the I-5 Bridge (this is a compliment. It's amazing how interesting bridge traffic is: the wheeled vehicles crossing, and the shipping traffic headed upriver). The restaurant itself was huge, the nautical theme appropriate, and the place appeared clean.

Now for the rest of the story. I sat for several minutes before being approached with a glass of water and opportunity to order coffee. The coffee, weak for those accustomed to Portland/Seattle-strength brew, was scorching hot. I read through the business section of the newspaper before I was approached by the same woman at the host stand. She took my breakfast voucher and said, "Ready?". Again, no greeting, no pleasant "do you have any questions..." The server had all the warmth of an East German prison guard.

I ordered the American breakfast, "hash browns REALLY well done and crispy with sausage." She just stood. I looked up.

"Eggs" she said. Not "how would you like your eggs?"; st "Eggs."

"Over medium" I replied.

"Toast" she said. Not "and what kind of toast would you like with that?"; just "Toast.

"An English muffin please, dry" I replied. She paused, frowning. "And more coffee, please" I continued.

She walked off. No acknowledgement on her part, no comment, just a frown of seeming disapproval.

In quick order, she appeared with my breakfast, with it's blonde, soft and limp hashbrowns. "I wanted these well done and crisp" I said.

"I'll be right back," she said, and walked away to address other diners. I downed a sausage. She came back a few minutes later and wordlessly snatched my plate. She was back within a few minutes, hash browns only slightly darker.

"Can I get my English muffin and more coffee please?" I asked. I ate my hashbrows. My coffee cup sat empty. Several minutes later, after delivering meals to another table, she dropped off my English muffin, which was buttered, not dry. I wasn't about to complain. "Can I please, please have more coffee?" I implored.

"I'll send her over" said the server, not indicating who 'she' was.

My eggs, which were to be sopped up by the English muffin, were, by this time, cold. The coffee refill finally came from the busser by the time I'd worked my way through most of my remaining meal.

My empty plate sat for many minutes while I read through two more sections of the newspaper, awaiting another coffee refill. Eventually, the coffee returned and the plate left, again without a word being uttered by staff. "Thank you" I replied. No response.

I sat several more minutes, waiting for a receipt or check, or at least some acknowlegement of the process around my breakfast voucher. Even though the service was simply deplorable, I wanted to leave some sort of tip. But I needed change for a $20. I sat a few minutes more and then just got up and walked out.

I cannot remember how many decades have gone by since I did not tip in a restaurant. But on this occasion, I felt no guilt.

What a wasted restaurant. This could indeed be a happening place with the pleasant atmosphere, fantastic view and decent food (had the food been served as ordered).

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank FeistyBrain
Vancouver, Washington
“5 Star View and prices with 3 Star quality”
Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

We walked into a nearly empty restaurant on a Saturday night. We opened the menu to find fine dining prices, ($23. sirloin) but by the looks of the crowd, not a fine dining establishment. The view over the water and bridge was fantastic but the service, food, decor, quality was all mediocre. If the Quay wants to be a 5 star dining, with 5 star food and prices, then there is much work to be done.It's sure a shame that with the 5 star location a great chef can't come in an make some creative changes.

• Visited May 2013