“Good value for our kids' hockey team”

SpringHill Suites Portland Vancouver
Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Five or six kids' hockey teams stayed here over the thanksgiving long weekend, and had a terrific weekend!

I do feel sorry for the non-family travelers, because the 70 or so kids were NOISY, every when they were trying to be quiet. They excitedly ran up and down the hallways to find their friends, took over the pool for hours at a time, and were up far past their regular bedtimes (not quietly). The parents did their best to calm them down but it's hard to keep a lid on a bunch of 7 and 8 year old boys (and a few girls).

Hotel staff was great - set up a separate room for the kids to play 'mini stick' hockey to avoid taking over the hallways, had an extra room set up for overflow seating at breakfast, and kept the pool well stocked with towels.

Pool was a huge hit, breakfast was great, and we were two blocks from the hockey rink and the old spaghetti factory. Tons of other restaurant options in the local area within a few blocks (so, walkable). But, it is definitely suburbia - you have to drive everywhere beyond those few blocks, and you are ten miles from downtown Portland.

Rooms were 3.5+ stars; not brand new, but clean. The sofa bed was pretty uncomfortable but the kids slept in it, so we didn't mind. Breakfast options - besides the terrible coffee and tea - were terrific; kids were full for hours. Waffle-maker, eggs, sausages, oatmeal, juice, muffins, toast, yogurt, cereal, fruit. Never ran out. Wish they could do something about all the waste that is generated from the disposable dishes, though.

Overall, good value and lots of fun for the kids.

Room Tip: If you are traveling without kids over a weekend, you might want to double check with them first tha...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LR_Seattle
AlisonHite, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Portland Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Thank you for your wonderful remarks. Our staff takes pride in taking care of our teams so they can have fun and of course stay rested so they may win all of their games. We look forward to your event and hope to see you next year.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I've stayed here a few times, and it has always been great for work travel. It's not far from the Portland airport, there are a lot of quick eats options nearby, and they have the standard breakfast buffet in the morning which is great. The rooms are clean and nicely furnished. The front desk staff has always been helpful and nice at all hours.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed here over labor day weekend to spend time in Portland because the hotel prices were double the usual this weekend. Normally affordable in Portland but not this weekend. A little further than I thought by looking at map but still reasonably close. If you have a car, no problem. Hotel is very clean as reported. Excellent customer service. Fastest towel delivery I ever experienced. Nicey formatted room. Breakfast area gets too packed, better to grab food and bring to your room. Very continental, if you want a big breakfast ihop and Shari's is down the street.

Room Tip: Need car for Portland adventures good for large families.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
AlisonHite, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Portland Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Thank you for spending your holiday weekend with our hotel and staff. I have shared your comments with our staff and I we are thrilled you enjoyed our clean and friendly hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and will provide other areas of the Portland/Vancouver area to explore.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

This hotel has great rooms. It's a newer property and is well taken care of. The front desk staff is friendly and helpfull, the breakfast attendant however not so much. The only not so good experience we had. I misunderstood the desk clerk at check in and came down for breakfast about 10 minutes before it was over to find the attendant taking up the food already. She told us to hurry because breakfast was over. We hurried along the whole time she was taking things before we could get to them. I thought the next day would be better when we came on time but no, still rude and even moved my 10 year old out of her way when he was getting his breakfast instead of waiting until he had grabbed what he wanted. Not the type of person this hotel should have greeting guests first thing in the morning.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed July 31, 2012

This is an older generation Springhill that is very clean and well-maintained. The staff is friendly and the location is excellent. It is 3 miles from the I-205/Mill Plains Blvd interchange. It has scheduled free transportation to PDX but does not pick up from PDX (some state law prohibtion)

PROS:

--all the usual Springhill amenities (fridge, microwave, free HSIA, continental+ breakfast)

--abundant free parking

--free local calls; free Sunday paper

--surrounded by strip malls with many dining options; multiplex theater across street.

--wired and wireless HSIA with decent speed

CONS:

--tiny fitness center with dated and (odd) cardio machines; there was a sickly sweet odor (air freshener or spilled drink?) It was so unappealing I skipped working out.

--smaller, dated, flat-panel TV with ANALOG PROGRAMMING!

--NO ROOM SAFE!

--weird room clock that did not allow time adjustment (10 mins fast)

--all disposable plates and cutlery at breakfast (there are real glasses and mugs in the room; is it that hard to have real plates and metal silverware at breakfast?)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My family stayed at the SpringHill Suites for four nights in June to attend family events. We had a suite with two queen beds and a sofa bed, which worked out well. The room was a decent size for the four of us - the "living room" area definitely helped it from feeling too cramped - and the only real complaint I have is that they only provided one trash can for the entire room. Could definitely have used two - one inside the bathroom and one outside - but since we weren't in the room all that much, I kept forgetting to ask housekeeping if we could get a second one. The desk staff was very friendly and helpful, and we all really enjoyed the availability of tea and coffee in the lobby at all hours. The location was good for us - near to all family members and not far from Portland - so I would definitely stay here again for a future visit.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I stayed at this hotel when I was too tired to make a return trip back to Seattle after a day trip to Portland. My whole experience was pleasant. The lady at the front desk was very helpful and friendly. Check-in was somewhat quick and my room was just what I needed for a quick stop over. The room was a standard small suite with a couch, writing desk, microwave, and mini fridge. The flat tv was decent, the king-sized bed was comfortable, the room was clean, and I was able to sleep well.

The only thing I thought was odd, was that they didn't have a list of nearby restaurants in the room. However, it wasn't a big deal and it was easy enough to find a place that delivered. There are also several nearby restaurants and pizza places and I saw groups of people walking to and from the restaurants when I checked in.

The continental breakfast the next day was satisfying and was a nice touch. Overall, I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo