“Just like we remembered”

Golden Tent Mongolian BBQ
Ranked #99 of 709 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Barbecue, Chinese, Mongolian
Portland, Oregon, United States
“Just like we remembered”
Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stopped to have dinner at Golden Tent. We used to visit frequently when we lived in the area. Since we were in town we wanted to stop by. The staff was as friendly as we remembered and the food did not disappoint. There is just a little something different about the place that makes it special. Can't wait for our next trip back.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fresh, clean, competent”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Good service, clean restaurant, I can tell owner cares.

Would recommend to friends and family for the future

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Eric M
Bangkok
“Good Food, A Little Iffy Service”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I went to this restaurant based on the reviews here. Overall, it was fine for the type. The restaurant itself was nicely laid out and clean. The food selection was decent, even it the oils and waters were slightly lacking in oomph (the ginger water was a weird orangish color with no ginger taste, and the "hot" oil was anything but). Table service was fine with a friendly wait staff. Where the restaurant fell a bit was in the lackadaisical cooks. On our first go-round, one cook kind of spread my wife's food around, then the next one split is in two for some reason. As a result, my wife received none of the noodles she put in. We watched closer the second time, and the cooks were quite free with their stirring, sending pieces of meat and veggies off the grill top, or worse, mixing food and sauces between different peoples' selections.

I would say the restaurant has good potential as the food itself is good (even with the bland sauces) and the place nice. I just think management needs a little better supervision on the two cooks.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Jonathan B
“There was a rubber band my food.”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I come from Seattle which has excellent Mongolian food. I went here based on some reviews and thought it seemed pretty good till I started eating and pulled a rubber band or of my mouth. When I told the server he acted like it wasn't a big deal and said I could go make another plate. I couldn't that just ruined the whole meal. I'm only greatful I got the rubber band and not some child who could have potentially died from it. I would not go there again.

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank cmyhotrod
McMinnville, Oregon
“More Than Lived Up to Its Rating!”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I took my Asian food loving, teen daughter to the Golden Tent while we were at a two-day conference, and saw the high rating and its proximity to our hotel. I had eaten at somewhat dingy Mongolian BBQ places in other localities, so I expected to be mildly disappointed. Instead, our experience was simply wonderful. Friendly staff, prompt service, short lines (we ate early at 5PM), and, above all, supremely delicious, freshly prepared Mongolian BBQ food! It's all you can eat, and you determine the portions, the composition of entree meats and veggies, and the kinds of oils used to cook it. Watching the chefs take your preparations, walk around the circular grill as they cook it, and hand it back to you hot and ready to eat, is entertaining. We saw others take and fill two bowls, one for meat and one for veggies, so we did the same. Both of us found their Teriyaki sauce to be of standout quality, and went that direction in our choices. It makes my mouth water to recall it. Parking was plentiful, and the overall cost was moderate. We saw both couples and families enjoying themselves immensely--good for dates and family outings. We highly recommend the Golden Tent and will definitely be back the next time we're in Vancouver, WA.

• Visited January 2014