“Bedazzled by Beaches”

Beaches Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #2 of 738 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Before crossing the Columbia River into Portland, Oregon we wanted to stop for lunch viewing the river from the Vancouver, Washington side. Waiting for a parking spot between McMenamin's and Beaches, I asked a baby stroller mom where to eat. She was simple and direct: "McM's is burger bar food, Beaches is 'real food'." Beaches even welcomed our small dog on the patio and brought her a water dish.

I can't write enough superlatives to express our wonderful experience at Beaches. Danny, with a "y" was a delightful woman server, who did her utmost to provide menu and restaurant information along with outstanding service. For instance, she brought an umbrella to shelter us from the sun. Meanwhile, we enjoyed the pleasant breeze watching the Columbia roll on.

The menu included salads, sandwiches, pizza, seafood and more. Something will appeal. We chose three sandwiches: Slow Roasted Pulled Pork, Southwest Veggie Burger and Grilled Salmon Burger. Jo-Jo fries, those tasty spiced potato wedges, came with each. Besides that, we ordered side salads for $2.50 each with cucumber, jicama, black sesame seeds and chicken. Special indeed. To top it off, I asked if the key lime pie was exceptional. Danny thought it was and said it was made especially for them and offered it complimentary if I didn't like it. I took that offer and was immensely pleased, as were my friends, and gladly paid for it.

We ate outside and loved it. Yet inside donned attractive beach décor and by the entrance a rack of T-shirts, one saying, "Nautical but nice." All this is guided by "Captain" Mark, who models the leader servant and has trained his "crew" beautifully. To extend his giving nature, Danny told us that Beaches holds fundraisers for the community. Is it any wonder we were bedazzled by Beaches? When heading south, we'll hit this beach!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,083)

Reviewed August 12, 2013

My Sister brought me to Portland to go shopping at Ikea. Afterwards we drove across to Vancouver to eat at Beaches.
We just had to sit outside! The view was so beautiful! Luckily it was a nice clear day too. My sister ordered a burger and I had the half ceasar salad and half chowder with a strawberry lemonade. The food was fantastic! My salad was very tasty and not overly dressed. The chowder was so good I wish I could have just crawled into it! It wasn't overly thick but just thick enough. Not a ton of potatoes, just a good tasting chowder. I don't like my chowders overly thick and full of filler stuff. This I would say was a perfect chowder to me. The strawberry lemonade was delicious too. My sister was very happy with her burger as well.
I have to say a wonderful lunch with my Sister and I will be back again!!

1  Thank Boxerdawgz
Reviewed August 11, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our 33rd anniversary here this past week. We made reservations and were asked about special occasions which we mentioned. On arrival our names were on a chalk board in a heart with our 33rd highlighted, along with others in similar situations. It was nice to see we were anticipated. We were seated in a timely manner and our waiter brought the menus and a paper highlighting the day's menu options, with a VIP greeting at the top with our names on it, a very nice touch. The location on the water is tops, the food was incredibly amazing. My wife had the salmon and it was the best we've had. She grew up in Alaska on fresh salmon and this was right up there. I had a NY steak made just the way I like it. The side dishes were very tasty and plentiful. My wife likes to get desserts and me not so much, so we shared one thinking I was so full we wouldn't finish it. But the dessert was by far and away the best restaurant dessert we have ever had. It was the traditional Roca, and if you go, you won't be sorry you ordered it. If it was possible to rate it 6 stars, I would. What a fantastic place to celebrate our 33rd. Already planning our next outing there.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We love eating at the Beaches, the food is very good and the view are amazing!! We loke the outside setting area right by the river. The stuff are very nice and helpful.Great service,very good food and amazing views!!

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We had dinner here on a Sunday. Place was quite packed. Waited a while for a table outside but were taken care of well at the bar. Good beer selection and friendly staff. I ordered a pizza and my wife some fish. Both were very good and we really enjoyed the patio and watching people walk along the the side of the river. Great time!