“Love the happy hour bar menu”
Review of Cactus Ya Ya

Cactus Ya Ya
Ranked #164 of 736 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Come after 9 pm and take advantage of the happy hour bar menu. The juicy, thick burger (no fries) is a real bargain and quite delicious. I like the quesadillas. You don't really need the side dishes of the main menu as they give you all the warm tortilla chips and black-eyed pea dip you can eat. (Really, it tastes waaayy better then it sounds!)

Servers are super friendly, and refill your drinks promptly. If the weather is nice, sit outside around the firepit. It's loud and lively, with groups stopping by after seeing movies, etc. TV behind the bar is usually on sports, but it's not a dive/sports type place. Just a good, unpretentious neighborhood spot.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

I have gone to this restaurant several times in the past and I have to say I liked it for it's fish taco's. All of the other food was so, so, but the fish taco was great. I recently went in for happy hour and ordered the crunchy fish taco. I received a soft taco. While it was very busy I had to wait to get the attention of our server. When I tell her I ordered a crunchy taco she takes the taco back into the kitchen and returns to our table with the same "cold" fish taco with a hard shell put on the side. I was shocked to say the least. Happy hour or no happy hour I was expecting a brand new crunchy taco because that is what I ordered. I didn't say anything to the wait staff as I was so Peeved by this point I didn't want to say something I shouldn't. I paid and left and went somewhere else for happy hour where the food was great (Tommy O's). I have always loved the fish taco's here but I have never liked anything else at this restaurant as I can make Mexican food much better than what they call Mexican food. The rice is bland and doesn't even look like Mexican rice. It's white with a little orange color too it. I can go on and on but trust me....if you are expecting quality Mexican food and good service good luck!!! I will never go back to this establishment.

1  Thank Krista39
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We went to this restaurant based on Trip Advisor reviews for the area of Vancouver, Washington that our hotel was in. We walked in and found that previous reviewers were right it is a bit loud inside, we were given the option of outside and took it after over 8 hours in the car outside was a good thing, great service, all staff were friendly, helpful and attentive, got water right away, they kept our glasses full, complimentary chips, salsa and black eyed beans (great), re-filled these too. My wife had the Baja Fish Tacos and I had the Chili Relleno and Chicken Chimichanga combination plate, as usual we order to share. Good sized portions, relleno and chimichanga had great flavour, cheesy and the beans on both plates were also great, one black the other pinto, but the best of all was the fish taco, beer battered/fried in a tortilla and a great sauce. Local beers were reccomended and were great. I would go back if ever in the area again.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

As you can see by the title this was not my wife and I's fav spot. More a thirty- something place with plenty of those bringing children to this very dark, lounge-like, sports TV raucous, basically inhospitable restaurant. Branding themselves "Southwestern" fare, I had a passable Southwestern Pasta which was basically Penne with "cajun" chicken and a nice green salad with an interesting peanut vinagarette. Couldn't get an NA so drank an also passable Hefeweizen draft while my wife had an enchilada and a chimichanga she couldn't eat because it was too filling. Her 1800-call rita was good as well. The homemade chips for appetizer tasted stale and the salsa was tasteless. Spotty service by the inundated waitress Bri made for a very ho-hum not to be repeated $42 experience.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

We were given a lunch by a Dr at my work, and he bought lunch from Cactus Ya Ya. The food was really tasty and the chips and salsa were so great! I really want to take my husband to this place in the future and have some more!