“Exceptional service, food, and outstanding culinary experience.”

Hudson's Bar & Grill
Ranked #2 of 736 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located in the beautiful Heathman Lodge in Vancouver, Washington. Hudson's is the quintessential urban retreat that provides guests with a calm refuge and a memorable experience. Discover the Northwest by savoring seasonal cuisine while relaxing next to our custom slate fireplaces or taking in the grand décor and original artwork. Your dining experience is eloquently enhanced by the live jazz piano music featuring locally acclaimed artists.
Reviewed September 24, 2011

I have dined at Hudson's at Heathman Lodge dozens of times and I have never been disappointed. Last night's dining experience surpassed my expectations. The pianist playing the grand piano enhanced our dining experience. Divine on every level! You will love the ambiance, fabulous cuisine, and beautiful decor. We had the most pleasant, top-shelf server, Robin, a fine, professional, young man. Robin is an extraordinary server. Fabulous restaurant & amazing chef. Enjoy this fine restaurant. Bon appetit !

Reviewed September 20, 2011

Overall, this is a GREAT restaurant! There were several items on the happy hour menu that were simply delectable. The breakfast menu is a little pricey, and their beers on tap are limited, but those are my only complaints. The fact that it's right in the hotel and I can take a beer up to my room makes it that much more attractive. Great place to eat, period!

Reviewed September 12, 2011

I've been taking family and friends to Hudsons "for years"; since shortly after they opened. EVERY visit has been positive (and many have been wonderful). Hudsons is the "house" restaurant at the Heathman Lodge, which is an offshoot of the Heathman Hotel in downtown Portland, OR. Because many of the Lodge guests go to dinner dressed in "travel casual" the atmosphere is more relaxed than the food, service & decor would suggest. I've always felt comfortable there, wearing anything from jacket & tie to jeans & workshirt.

Hudsons offers an outstanding combination of innovative and delicious foods made with local and regional ingredients (grass-fed beef, free-range poultry, wild [not farmed] seafood) at reasonable prices, served efficiently by professional, polite, low-key waitstaff, in a relaxed, low-key atmosphere. The chef revises the menu seasonally; while the popular ingredients remain, the recipes using them change. This is true for the appetizer, dessert and bar menus as well as the entrees.

Hudsons has ALWAYS been very competitive in terms of "value for price"--in quality of ingredients, flavors of food & drink, and serving size. I'd say they provide better value than many popular chains, such as Outback, Olive Garden, any "chain" steak or seafood houses. And they definitely provide better value than any of the other "best"/"4-star"/white tablecloth/Zagat-listed places in the greater Vancouver/Portland area.

Hudsons most recent innovation (responding to the economic downturn we're all experiencing) is "happy hour" from 4-6 pm, every day. The happy hour food menu features the best of their appetizer & bar menus, with every item marked down to $5.00. They also offer a rotating choice popular regional wines at $5.00 per glass (and its always a more generous pour, of a better wine, than those chain restaurants), regional craft-brewed beers at $3.00 per pint, and a "cocktail of the day" at $5.00. The food choices include (currently) a 1/3 lb Tillamook white cheddar cheeseburger, smoked salmon BLT sliders, spring lamb meatballs, and beef carpaccio, in addition to standbys like quality fish & chips, and calimari.

I'm not into the "bar scene" so I won't comment on whether or not Hudsons is part of it. I can say that their bartenders are very well trained and experienced, and that their back bar "reads" as well if not better than any other place I can think of. And, like all their other menus, their spirits list features regional breweries, wineries and distilleries.

The only qualifier I'd offer--in terms of the typical "highlights categories" used in restaurant reviews--is that the views from Hudsons are limited to trees & sky--no "water", "mountain" or "vista" views. On the other hand, I've NEVER found a restaurant where the "view" could compensate for food and/or service ranging from terrible to indifferent.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

Let me start with the food. There were 5 of us, 4 of us had a terrible culinary experience. The crab cakes were served sitting in the oil in which they were cooked. All you tasted was the oil. The greens served with my mother's meal were so tough that she couldn't chew them. The calamari was greasy and flavorless. My husbands meal was overcooked. It was a disaster. Our waiter NEVER asked us how our meal was. He never came by our table. He did however, spend a lot of time socializing with the patrons at a table close by. We had to flag him down to get our check and when my husband stated his dissatisfaction, he was practically ignored. The restaurant is way overpriced for the quality of the food and the preparation. Don't even consider eating here.

Reviewed September 1, 2011

Steak was small, but the staff was very friendly, the atmosphere dignified, and the prices reasonable. Many cuts above most hotel/motel restaurants.