“OK, but under-staffed”

Best Western Plus Vancouver Mall Drive Hotel and Suites
Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Stayed here twice in July. First visit was for 6 nights; second visit was 10 nights. Rooms were clean; beds were comfortable. Standard breakfast was good. Location was centrally located and it was quiet. I got a great rate off the hotel website several months in advance. My complaints concern staff at this hotel. Most evenings, the hotel was understaffed; there was usually just one staff member for the entire hotel. Check ins were very slow and any special requests were unable to be accomodated until the next morning when there would be more staff. Also, many evenings, staff had family members & friends swimming at the pool. There were also 2 house-keepers who had bad attitudes and poor customer service manners. I stay at Best Western hotels frequently but would not stay at this one again.

1  Thank NurseNancy12
Alex F, General Manager at Best Western Plus Vancouver Mall Drive Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our property. I do hope your stay was enjoyable despite having our staffing issue. As a general rule we only have one staff member on in the evenings and I will look into the possibility of putting more on. We do our best to accommodate the need of every guest as quickly as we can. I would like to assure you that I will address the attitude issue of my housekeepers. As far as the pool goes, you state that there were many evenings that staff members were in it and I will look into it as we do not allow staff to swim unless they have a GM approval and no one had asked me. I did allow it once while you were here as it was a special occasion and it was set up a very long time ago. We do hope that you will change your mind about not staying at our property again. Thanks again.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

My Husband, Rick, and I recently completed a 2-day stay at the Best Western at the Vancouver, WA Mall. We had some fairly critical family needs for a specific type of room, and both women at the Front Desk (Richelle Gager and Cassi) went out of their way to ensure that our needs were met. Both women were extremely efficient and very personable!

Needless to say we will be staying at this hotel again!!

Kathy & Rick

Room Tip: We had a 2-bedroom suite. Each has a bathroom and one had a bath and living room arrangement.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your kind words and for taking the time to write a review. We always strive to go above and beyond for our guests and without employees like Richelle and Cassi, we wouldn't be able to do so. We look forward to your next visit. Again, thank you very much.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed here 3 nights, overall quality is above average but not super. Staff was friendly and helpfull. Breakfast is ok and there is enough sitting space available. Rooms are standard, clean but there was only an old CRT tv with limited channels. Beds were comfy.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank thelasman

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I am glad you had a decent stay and do hope to see you stay with us again soon. We will be receiving flat screen TV's by the end of the year.

Thanks again,

Reviewed July 30, 2012

Alex does a great job managing this hotel. We felt welcome and were pleased with the continental breakfast every morning, the cleanliness of the room and lobby,etc. Alex, Cassie and staff were helpful, efficient and made our stay pleasant. As we were traveling for a family wedding and funeral all in the same week, it was a very comforting place to call our temporary home. Thanks for a great experience. Would definately recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for the review. Your kind words mean a lot to myself and my staff members. We do our best to make it feel like a home away from home. My housekeeping staff does a great job to keep our Best Western as clean as possible. I hope that all is going well for your family through the joyous wedding occasion and through the hardships of losing a loved one. Our thoughts are with you. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

The building and room is quite nice and clean. The two-bed room is quite spacious compared to most. It has a micro, fridge, coffee pot, and plenty of space and furniture. Also it has free Internet and breakfast. However, there are several drawbacks: (1) the pet policy is confusing because on Trip Advisor and their website it says they allow pets (I checked and double-checked, as I usually do) however the in-room binder said they don't allow pets; (2) the TV is outdated and really poor with fuzzy picture (it's not a flat screen); and, (3) the hotel is right off freeway 205 but not I-5 so it's nowhere near downtown Vancouver or Esther Short park where Farmer's Market takes place plus other festivals. It's 5 miles away in a suburban location. It's across the street from a big shopping mall, where we found a yummy restaurant called Brewtopia (although pricey) and Baskin Robbins Ice Cream. We're in town for the G & D triathlon, which is at the Frenchman's Bar, so this hotel is a bit farther (5 miles) than the Hilton near downtown. We may not choose to stay here again because of the location. But the building itself is nice/clean and environmentally friendly. A good choice if you don't mind a farther location or locale off I-205.

Room Tip: There are four floors and one elevator.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for the review. I would like to take this moment to address your items listed in this review. (1) Our pet policy recently changed from not allowing pets to allowing pets. I haven't received my new laminated pages for our guest directory, so it does still say that we don't allow pets. Thanks for bringing to my attention that our website had not received the update, I thought we had that taken care of, so I will look into that. (2) We will have all new flat screen TV's by the end of the year. (3) We are a short drive from downtown Vancouver, where the Farmers Market is held, however, it is a quick easy drive to get there. I do hope you had a great stay here during your visit to Vancouver, I do hope that you will stay again with us.
Thanks again.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

Yes the hotel is old but it is clean and that counts in my book. No the doors dont slam shut by themselves and that is what caused the complaints about doors not locking. They lock, you just have to close them so its no big deal. The staff is great and helpfull, the breakfast is good but closes at 9:30 on weekdays, they actually lock you out or in depending on what side of the door your on. That kind of ticke me off but I got over it. Its close to the mall but away from everything else touristy. The mall has a very cool lounge movie theater that you can eat dinner and drink in during the show. Its full of leather couchs and is semi private, $18 a seat but it is worth every penny.

Room Tip: I think they are all the same, this is a no view hotel so it really doesnt matter.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jtabur

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our property. I am glad you had a good stay and had a chance to enjoy Cinetopia in the mall. We value your business and hope to see you again next time you travel our direction.

Thanks again.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

We always stay here when in the Portland area due to the great value and helpful staff. The rooms are large and clean and the breakfast has the full variety of hot and cold choices. This year they have added recycle bins, another plus one doesn't find in many hotels.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our property. We value your business and loyalty, it means a lot to myself and my entire staff. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Thanks again.