“Better looking and better food than the mediocre buffets out there”

Makoto Japanese Buffet
Ranked #129 of 728 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

I've been to several buffets in New York and Makoto is either comparable or better in food assortment and quality - and at a lower price.

Also, Makoto looked better and cleaner than the numerous ones I've been to.

Sushi is typical of buffets and many get it wrong. At Makoto, I found them both better in quality and more unique in what they offered. They went beyond the tuna (they still have that though) and excited with crazy combinations and colors with eel.

As for appearance, the dining tables were mediocre while the main buffet area + ceilings looked like the high end buffets I've seen at hotels in Asia .

Reviewed June 23, 2013

The front desk American female manager is really rude. She acts like she does not care our business at all. We made a reservation for a big group. When we got there, we found they only saved us 4 separate small tables. (Can't they think, why would we need a reservation if we all sit separately? ) Anyway, we said we wanted those 8-person big tables. She said none of them available, and that's all they got, take it or wait. She won't let us sit on those small tables first, then move to the big table once they are available. While we are waiting, we saw two of the 8-person tables are cleared. So we asked if we can sit there. But the reply is we can only sit on one and spilt the rest because those two tables are on difference service area. How ridiculous? Is that a good reason of not seating customers? Finally we waited about 50 minutes before our group finally got the big table to seat. Anyway, your customer service really need to be fixed if you don’t want to lose more customers!

4  Thank sweet-town
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I have been to this restaurant a few times and have always been very satisfied.
The food is very tasty and authentic. The are so many choices, including sushi, Mongolian, salads, and ice cream. The service is excellent, and the price is very reasonable, especially for the variety and quantity of food.
I recommend this restaurant very highly. We will return again soon.

Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Two adults a 3 year old and a 13 year-old cost $60 for a Friday dinner and one drink each...a little pricey for a buffet. With that being said the atmosphere was vibrant, but not loud and totally acceptable for families or singles. Dispite some other reviews there were no time limit signs and we never felt rushed. The servers were friendly and promt. I wish I could give better reviews on the food but I have to say "okay". There were lots of sushi choices and they were good but not amazing. I loved the BBQ chicken and ribs and pot stickers.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

I am a American Japanese so I speak with a certain authority on this and I eat at a fair amount of Buffets too. On entering the restaurant one gets excited at the possibilities. The spread is extremely impressive in length and variety. Sushi, noodles, and a ready grill promise a great meal in a modern style high end looking restaurant. Alas, looks are deceiving. The food is uniformly bland, and lacks any of the nuances of taste, texture, balance and complexity of Japanese food. This was my third try at it since they opened and it has gotten even worse then when they first opened. I ate with a Hawaiian and Caucasian friends and they were complaining about the food too. Me; I was embarrassed. It's like eating Sushi at a Chinese buffet. It looks right but usually tastes bad. It gives praise to the knowledge, and art of those who make good Sushi.

3  Thank SCOTT W