“Farrar's Has Expanded!”

Ranked #13 of 726 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located north of Vancouver lake in the Felida neighborhood, this quaint bistro offers unique lunch & dinner options. All fish, chicken, pork & beef are hand rubbed & smoked on premise. Dressings, marinades, salads & sauces are from scratch. We are committed to using fresh & local ingredients whenever possible. Lunch offers panini's, sandwiches, burgers, salads & soup. Dinner boasts several fresh fish options, riester farms lamb, signature picatta, mac & cheese, pulled pork platter, burgers, filet & an array of salads! Also offering TWO HAPPY HOURS in the bar daily from 4:00 - 6:00pm and 8:30- 10:30pm!
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Our favorite "neighborhood" bistro is now MUCH bigger, with the expansion into the adjoining space that was formerly an exercise studio, and before that, an antique shop. We have NEVER had anything from the menu that we haven't loved at Farrar's. Last night I took a friend who has only been there once before, and I hadn't been there myself in several months, so I was thrilled to see all the improvements. The staff is mostly the same, and all are well-trained, friendly, and they actually REMEMBERED me from previous visits! Both owner Debbie and server and bar manager Adam made a point to come by to welcome us and say hello. The young lady who was our server could not have been more helpful, with just the right amount of attentiveness. But it was the food that reminded me why I love to come here: We both had the scallops last night, and shared the wedge salad. I asked for a white wine suggestion, and the Adlesheim Pinot Gris was perfect. It was one of the slightly pricier selections, but it was "local" and still affordable at $32. And it was outstading with the perfectly-cooked scallops, which were beautifully presented on a bed of spinach, roasted cubes of sweet potato, and a bit of crunchy bacon. We asked for the green-chile-style sauce on the side, and it was delicious and not spicy at all, but the dish could easily stand alone. We skipped dessert because we were just too full! I've tried most of them before, though, and all are made from scratch and can easily be shared. In fact, their delicious Bread Pudding can serve FOUR! Or serve 2 and bring the rest home for the next night's dessert! There is now a Happy Hour in that new bar area which I intend to suggest trying when The Hubbs returns from his Fall pheasant hunting trips! Our only complaint last night was not the fault of the restaurant: There was a large group of about 14-16 people seated together on one side of the dining area. By the time we arrived, the noise level in that room was almost unbearable! We thought perhaps they had only just arrived and were just glad to see one another! But several of the women were absolutely screeching throughout our dinner, so my friend and I could not have the relaxing catch-up chat we had hoped for at all, nor could we hear our server. The group was oblivious to our reactions, so they had obviously had plenty to drink before their dinners arrived. Please, people: When you are seated with a large group, try to be considerate of other diners in your midst! We came very close to asking for our dinners to go, and if that happens again, we will probably just leave before we order and come back another time. This is NOT any fault of Farrar's Bistro, although I'm wondering if they might consider hosting such a big group in the larger bar area if possible? The hardwood floors and other solid surfaces just seem to amplify all that shrieking! It just about spoiled our entire evening; we both had headaches by the time we got back home!

Reviewed September 23, 2012

This place had delicious food, creative drinks, and an adult atmosphere. It is the perfect place to go for a relaxing evening after work, and I am so happy they are here!

Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

Fantastic food. I had the freshest, best cooked salmon and great beer and wine. The service is kind and attentive. Great 'date' atmosphere but casual. Open just late enough. Dessert was fantastic. Mud pie was with homemade ice cream! Locally owned. A great place to go and relax!

Reviewed June 26, 2012

My husband and I love to go to dinner here whenever we can. It is also a good choice for "girls night out". Debbie, one of the owners is always very attentive and friendly. Adam, who began as a waiter, and is now running the bar side of the restaurant, is a gem. He really gets to know his clientele and anticipates their needs. The menu is smaller, but unique and always changing, with specials at dinner. Food and service are awesome!

1  Thank Laura M
Reviewed May 8, 2012

We are always on the lookout for local dining and aren't afraid to try something new. We went here on a Monday for dinner with my granddaughter. The waiter was excellent but I was completely disappointed with the food and the ambiance. We were seated outside (our choice) but it's nothing more than a small wooden deck with nothing to look at except someone's fence and their backyard. I looked over the menu and while most things sounded great I wasn't terribly hungry so I went with the Italian salad, my husband had the hamburger and my granddaughter ordered the chicken corndog. My salad was large but consisted of shredded lettuce, pepperoncini, diced tomatoes, chopped white (american?) cheese, olives and salami. Extremely bland. My husband didn't complain about his hamburger and of course my granddaughter liked the corndog. I was floored however when the check came. $34 for the food, just water to drink with the exception of one beer. I couldn't believe they have the nerve to charge $5 for a chicken corndog and then they charge an ADDITIONAL dollar for the french fries! Like I said, we'll never return here and never recommend it to anyone.

1  Thank Charlene P