“Not welcome here!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Vancouver, Canada
“Not welcome here!”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

After reading tripadvisor comments about this hotel, we booked 1 nite on the way home from wine tasting. I used Expedia, which I guess was a problem for the person who checked us in. When we asked for a room on the 4th floor, she told us we could not have one on that floor because we had used a 3rd party to book & it was already paid for. When we asked about a complimentary upgrade, again, no go cuz we had used a 3rd party. Then we got the lecture on using a 3rd party to book rooms & how there was nothing she could do for us. When we asked for a quiet room, we got one facing a busy street with a view of the large, rustic beams above the front entrance (see pic). Good thing breakfast the next morning was delicious & the service was wonderful. I had the mushroom brie omelet & my husband had the ham & eggs. Our server was attentive & had a great sense of humor. At least we felt welcome in this room!

Room Tip: Try for an inside room if you are looking for quiet. The pillows we had were horrible - little, hard...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank c00ke_11
NorthPacificMgnt, Manager at Heathman Lodge, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
I am sorry that we were not able to offer you a complimentary upgrade during your visit. We do offer upgrades subject to availability, and small upgrade fee. We do offer this regardless of how our guests make their reservations.

While I understand we could not offer a complimentary upgrade, you should have been offered the option to upgrade for a small fee. When we have these upgrades available, it is a great value for our guests.

I would be happy to hear more about this situation, and I can be contact directly at the Hotel.

Yours Truly,

Brian McClary
Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Lincoln City, Oregon
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This is a resort feel in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Vancouver WA. You will enjoy the fish out in the landscaping as you arrive and then instant calming of the all wood design of the interior. A great place for conventions or just being lazy!!

Room Tip: The higher the room the better. If you stay on the upper floors you will get access to your private...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I learned about the Lodge because I was attending a conference there. I stayed a few days before & after for a total of seven days. The amenities (pool, exercise room) were clean & up to date. The restaurant was excellent, happy hour prices were great. However, the catering for the meeting was sub par, mediocore sandwiches for lunch & hard boiled eggs, greasy pastries & not enough fresh fruit or yogurt for breakfast.
Shuttle service is available with advanced reservations & availability, they were able to accomodate a last minute request.
The staff was great, very friendly, learned my name, made me feel right at home & were knowledgable about bus lines, cabs, etc.
Nice gift shop with every forgotten item you would need including peroxide & contact lens cleaner.
The rooms were good, enjoyed my posturpedic mattress, cleaning wasn't great, had to request extra towels & linen changes multiple times.
Laundry is no charge to guests, just bring your own soap.
The ambience & style of the hotel is great, not kitschey, but authentic, cozy & comfy.
I will definitely return

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room as some are located over the bar
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank luvtravlin53
USA
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We have stayed at the Heathman 7 or 8 times over the last 5 years, both as a couple and with our children. Each time has been wonderful. The lodge construction is inviting and beautiful right down the furniture in the rooms. The hotel star are friendly and eager to help. The public spaces and the grounds are clean and inviting. There is a Starbuck and a small eastern European deli within walking distance. We will surly stay there again on our next trip to Vancouver.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from rooms near the lobby stair case on the second floor. Noise carries up from the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bob N
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Stayed at the hotel last week and the hotel is quite nice, clean, and the rooms excellent. New mattresses are especially comfortable. My 95 year old father was with me and I had received an email asking if I would have any requests when we got there. I had asked for a room near the elevator because of my dad's mobility. The staff didn't seem at all aware of that request and we had a room half a hall from either elevator.
I invited some local family members to join me for breakfast and after asking for a table instead of a booth, we were taken to a table just in front of the kitchen. My father has impaired hearing and we wanted to visit with relatives. We were then seated at a prime table. One member said the pancakes were terrible and didn't finish them. The other plates arrived cold. The menu has a nice variety of what is offered and since we ordered different things it seemed they waited until all the plates were ready and brought them out at the same time. The waitress was a gem, a high light to the whole stay.

Room Tip: They told me they assign the rooms on arrival so any special requests might have to be made then.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Roundtrip433
Long Beach
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Stayed one night after flying into Portland. Hotel was a refreshing contrast to the usual chains and a short drive from the airport. Thought it was located walking distance to the river but is in a shopping complex. The staff and food were very good. Surprised that our room was ADA compliant which made the bathroom more institutional than we like. The AC clicking off and on was a bit irritating. All in all it was a nice layover with northwest appeal.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

this is an amazing hotel. From the decor to the amazingly helpful and friendly staff, everything is first rate. We had both happy hour and Breakfast at the in house restaraunts, Hudson's. Both meals were very good and reasonably priced. I have stayed here twice before I was a member of Tripadvisor and both experiences were also first rate. If you upgrade to the fourth floor there's a complimentary cocktail hour with very good wine and beer choices and some snacks.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends