“Return Trip To The Heathman, Not So Good”
Review of Heathman Lodge

Heathman Lodge
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

We had stayed here a few years ago and were excited to return. We love the lodge feel. Unfortunately we were given a horrible room, first the HVAC didnt work but to Engineerings credit they fixed that but our room was right against the freeway. We heard motorcycles and truck brakes all night long, plus the people stomping around above us. Avoid room 301 at all cost. Not matter how nice the hotel is, if I have a restless night's sleep the stay is not good.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank juliebug52
NorthPacificMgnt, Manager at Heathman Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

I am sorry to hear about your stay with us. I am happy to hear that engineering did fix the HVAC for you. We have many different room types available and I know that you can get a great nights sleep. Please contact me directly in the future so we can make sure we get you in the right room type.

Brian McClary
Director of Rooms

There are newer reviews for Heathman Lodge

Reviewed September 29, 2012

This hotel was recommended by a friend when they learned that I had business here. Great hotel here in the Vancouver area. When you have to be away on business, I really appreciate it when I can stay in an affordable, business class, clean environment that also provides a first class experience and makes your business trip a little more enjoyable. Registration was easy, check in very professional and friendly. I had a nice note with bottled water awaiting me which was a very welcoming touch! Easy access to the college and other nice dining options in the surrounding area. Short stay but would like to come back and spend some leisure time here.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This is my very favorite place to stay, and one of my very first TripAdvisor Reviews. We arrived and were surprised to be upgrade to a suite without extra charge. We were surprised ! a well appointed room, with a spacious bathroom with a large jet tub, separate bedroom, patio and exit from our room directly to it. Thank heavens in a day when most places are cutting back and cheapening their service, this hotel still shines on. Excellent front desk staff who were very helpful with directions or whatever you needed. The Hudson restaurant remains the very best not only in the area, but to think its just a few short steps from your room. A bigger surprise was when we had to do some laundry - its free! And with full size washers and dryers. More amazing was the price - the least expensive place we stayed at during a two week trip, yet it was the very best. As we checked out (reluctantly) I was offered a cup of hot chocolate - delicious ! Your crazy if you stay anywhere else in the Portland area. If only all hotels could be like this one.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Needing to be in Vancouver for business, we picked the Heathman because of the great reviews on Trip Advisor. The room was basic, but clean, comfortable and well appointed. Sadly I had zero time to use the other amenities. Our original room was next to a busy highway; as a light sleeper I asked to be moved, the front desk gladly accommodated my request. As said in earlier reviews, the property is nice and the staff friendly and helpful, however, I am giving the Heathman a 5 star rating because of the Hudson’s restaurant which is located on property. What a pleasant surprise. Trying to eat healthy on the road can be a challenge, but not at Hudson’s. The menu has a nice blend of options. The dining room (and the entire property) has a hip Pacific Northwest décor, upscale rustic (including the menu). After a long day, it was wonderful to get GREAT fresh food and atmosphere without having to leave the property. As a chef and restaurateur, my standards are high and Hudson’s hit the mark.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We were very excited to stay at the Heathman Lodge, but left feeling underwhelmed. I don't mean to sound like this is a bad hotel, because I don't believe that it is. Our experience, however, was disappointing.

For some reason, we were assigned a handicap-accessible room (we did not need any special accommodations), so we didn't have a standard bathroom. Instead, we had a wheelchair-friendly walk-in shower that felt rather like a hospital or locker room shower. I'm sure it would've been a really fantastic room had we needed the ADA-compliance...but we didn't.

We also happened to be on the 2nd floor, apparently by an event hall...which hosted a raucous reception the evening of our stay. It started to quiet down around 11:30pm, but we were still adjusting from the 2-hr time difference (so it felt like 1:30am to us) and were hoping for a restful evening as we were flying out the next day.

One other disappointment was the bed. The website says, "Guests staying in our Deluxe Level Queen bedded room can choose between one of our deluxe pillow top or Tempurpedic mattresses," so we were looking forward to trying out a Tempur-pedic. We weren't given an option when reserving online or upon check-in. For those who are given an option, I advise choosing the Tempur-pedic, as the 'deluxe pillow top' is just okay.

I suppose we could have complained and tried to get a different room, but that's just not our style. The room was clean, and decor and staff were nice but I don't think we'll be going out of our way to stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far away from any ballrooms or event halls
1  Thank scoutsterkc

I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us. I do apologize for us not getting you into the right room type. While I can appreciate you not wanting to complain, I do wish you had let us known. I very this not as a complaint but opportunity to make your stay better. I really do hope we get to see you again, and please contact me directly though the hotel and I will make sure we get you in the right room.

Yours Truly,

Brian McClary
Director of Rooms

Reviewed September 14, 2012

We attended a wedding in Vancouver, and the bride made arrangements for guest to stay at Heathman Lodge. If we were going to Portland, or Southern Washington, this is the only place we would stay. The large spotless rooms, the employees, the landscaping, and restaurant were first class. We had a small problem in the restaurant, and the manager, and chef, did everything they could do to address, and correct, the situation. The staff throughout the Lodge is courteous, professional, and genuinely seem concerned about their guest. You won't be disappointed.

1  Thank Chuck D
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The hotel is stunning, looks like it belongs in the mountains. We stayed on the 4th floor so breakfast was included. There is a room on the 4th floor where this is served, basic make your own waffles/cereal/yogurt/pastries with a nice selection of juices and a fancy coffee machine. Our first night we were in a room right next to the breakfast room and elevator. The waffle machine beeping and people coming and going really bugged me so I asked to be moved. The staff was so nice about it, had us in a new room in less than an hour. The beds were very comfortable in both rooms, but the second room was at the end of the hall in what I think was a newer wing. The newer room was a little nicer, had a very pretty shower. We had drinks and food in the bar several times and it was great, delicious cheeseburgers. There was live piano music and a fireplace in the bar off the lobby. The day we checked in it was about 97 degrees outside but sitting in the bar near the fire I expected to look out and see snow drifts. Convenient location to the highway and shopping mall, it just seemed odd to find this beautiful lodge in an office park by the mall. There is also a very nice movie theater at the mall.

Room Tip: it is worth it to book on the 4th floor, we stayed on the weekend and enjoyed the breakfast. During...
2  Thank shelleyvan