“Good deal. Good place to stay”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Vancouver, Washington
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Like other reviewers, I booked this review on Hotwire, so I cannot complain about the price. The room was mildly dated, but well maintained and clean. When we arrived the dial was broken off on the air conditioning unit, making it unworkable. As the room was stuffy, I went to the front desk to ask for help. The clerk came up to our room with a pair of large pliers and did get it going. At my request, she left the pliers and said that someone would come fix the issue the next day. No one ever did come, but with the pliers, we made all the necessary adjustments ourselves.

We were in town for the Vancouver marathon, and this hotel was a straight shot to downtown and the Esther Short Park, no more than a 15 minute drive each way. On the same circular drive was an Applebees, and there were grocery and other stores within a five minute drive.

The pool was pretty typical of this type of hotel, just what one would expect and want with kids. The standard hot tub was also available.

Breakfast was also pretty standard, with waffles and couple of other warm dishes available each day. It was not, however, as well maintained as it should have been. On both days we were there, one dish or piece of silverware was unavailable for the entire time we were there. The breakfast room was larger than most, and it was nice not to have to struggle to find a table, even though the hotel was pretty full.

Overall, this hotel definitely gave a good bang for the buck. It was clean and met our needs well.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed June 20, 2012

This is a very nicely appointed hotel with finer furnishing in the room and public areas. The bed was comfortable and the room we were in had a separate sitting area with a leather love seat and a separate TV. The microwave was the most micro we have seen; just enough for warming a beverage or a small plate. The mini fridge in the room seemed to be running all the time. Not good if you are a light sleeper. The WiFi was fine and for some reason we didn't even have to log in using the password provided.

We weren't impressed with the breakfast. The eggs and sausage patty had a sour taste to it and there was no juice.

The staff was friendly. Check in was pretty quick although we had to fill in our contact information again; probably because we booked via Hotwire. Check out was fast.

This hotel is close to a number of restaurants and shops. You will have no problems finding a good spot to eat or do some light shopping.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We have had the pleasure of staying at this hotel 3x now. Originally we found it through a great offer on Hotwire, and we haven't looked back since. We visit the Portland, Oregon area approximately twice a year and this is our new go to place as a home base for the duration of our stay in the area. Staff are friendly and helpful, just prior to our 2nd stay we were on the road travelling and wanted to come a day earlier, on a Friday night. As it was last minute, only a king was available when we called, but we we were assured we would not have a problem switching to our reserved 2 queens the next day. Well, by the time we arrived staff had found us a 2 queen room starting for the Friday and in a quiet section which was much appreciated as we were travelling with a young child. They went above and beyond and gave us the Hotwire rate as well!

The rooms are large and spacious and we appreciated having laundry facilities. Plenty of room for a family to spread out and the bathroom and sleeping areas were clean and tidy. We appreciated the mini fridge and microwave as well. Love the make-your-own waffles on weekday mornings included with the continental breakfast. Easy drive to Portland and many shops and services.

Looking forward to staying here again this summer!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We booked this hotel thru Hotwire and got a great price. The rooms are spacious, clean and quiet. The free breakfast is one of the best we have ever had with great variety in a nice setting. The other amenities like the pools, exercise area and the guest laundry were excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel...very quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We purchased our night's stay through Hotwire. We were looking for a large room for one night's stay prior to a bicycle race.

The room was large, somewhat worn, but suited our purposes fine. There was a microwave and a small refrigerator. The internet connection was good. I can't comment on the pool, etc, as we did not use them.

Breakfast was standard US fare, heavy on relatively sugary and greasy foods, with little choice of fresh fruits.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I was fortunate enough to enjoy a stay amongst the most polite and courteous staff. Melinda, the General Manager greeted with a smile as soon as I arrived and Chris, the Sales Manager came out to introduce herself and thank me for staying with them. I was planning on visiting some clients in their local market and Chris was kind enough to share ideas, contacts and even help me set some appointments. Being from the mid-west I was a bit hesitant about getting lost, or being late, Melinda and Chris put all those worries to rest because each of them joined me on separate days when I had to go visit my customers. I couldn't believe they were willing to stop what they were doing and go out of their way to show me the city through a "local's" perspective- but to set appointments with key contacts for me...now that deserves an award.

I was placed in the Presidential Suite and greeted with a welcome amenity and personal hand written card, an art which I feel most hotels have lost in this day and age. The room was immaculate- from the bed room suite area, to the Jacuzzi spa in the room, to the kitchen area, living room and work zone- I could have lived there! The bed and pillows allowed me to sleep like a baby. The complimentary breakfast in the morning was a nice touch and the evening welcome deserts- freshly baked cookies- were a nice signature making me feel at home.

I can't say enough about the kindness of the staff, the personable associates, especially at the Front Desk and their spirit to serve. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling wanting plenty of space conveniently located near restaurants and entertainment as well as the Portland airport.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 6, 2012

You pay for a room, thats it. Service is little to non-existent. You get what you pay for (~$55).

First room smelled weird but they moved us to another room down the hall. They said it was because the carpet was new and it was the smell of the glue... I don't think I wanna be smelling commercial grade glue while I sleep. The other room was a bit better. Room had two tv's, a couch, desk, bed, and a few lamps to light the room.

Fire alarm went off at 8:30am and we all had to evacuate. Yes, not their fault but there was no explanation and nothing was done to compensate the guests. Props to the FD here though. Four engines and the battalion chief, haha.

Breakfast was on the verge of being bad but hey, it was free. Eggs had no taste and potatoes were lacking as well. Free waffles, milk, cereal, bagels, and coffee.

Lastly, the shuttle service...or there lack of. Apparently where you book your hotel room determines what "complimentary" services you are eligible for. We stayed here because it was a good deal and because it had advertised a complimentary shuttle to the airport (we had no rental car). When inquiring about the shuttle, they said that because we booked with an online travel site, we can't get a ride! Ummm, okayyy.. We were forced to catch a cab to the airport (15min, $22). Oh and on that note, the "complimentary shuttle" service that supposedly takes patrons anywhere within a 5 mile radius of the hotel is limited to "businesses?" and only operates during M-F with select hours.

No goodbye or farewell from what I *think* was manager as we departed as well.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple