Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Vancouver by Vancouver Mall
Ranked #24 of 29 Hotels in Vancouver
TACOMA
“Might be back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

The first thing they tried to do was make me pay for my room again after I had already pre-paid it through the Wyndham Rewards website. Finally cleared that up.....for now. Went to our room which was small and outdate but clean. There is only a small shower in the bathroom no tub but that was ok. There were a lot of people just "hanging" out in the parking lot which was a little unnerving. We used the pool that night which is usually the highlight of my kids stay anywhere but it was polar ice cap kind of water. Hot tub was nice though. Got up for breakfast to find they only had bread for toast, mini bagles and mini cup cakes with cereal. Not exactly what I would consider even a continental breakfast. Headed back to our room to start the date when on my phone pops up yet another charge for my room yet again so had to go and clear that up once again. The service however was good they were extremely friendly and they try, the location is excellent for resturants, movies and the mall so plenty to do and eat. I think this place has lots of potential, I know they just switch over to a Howard Johnson so still have to glitches but I am not sure that I want to risk it again. I will go back to my Days Inn next door next time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank HEIDI O
Crystal V, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Vancouver by Vancouver Mall, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Heidi O.,

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on your stay with us. We sincerely apologize that your stay was not satisfactory.

We have addressed your concerns regarding being double charged, people hanging in the parking lot, with our Front Desk Staff. We are reviewing some training with the Front Desk Staff, to prevent these things from happening again. As far as the rooms being outdated, we are in the process of updating the rooms. We also appreciate your input on the breakfast items and will try to bring a better variety of items to have available.

Our Maintenance staff has been informed to closely monitor the temperature of the pool.

I would like to assure you that we are taking all of your comments very serious, as would love to exceed every guests expectations on their stay with us.

We do hope that if you find yourself in the Vancouver, WA area again, that you would grant us the opportunity to serve you and your family and allow us to redeem ourselves. If you would like to discuss any future reservations, please contact me at the number listed below and I would be happy to help and see what we can do for you.

Again, thank you for your stay and your review. We hope to have you stay with us again in the near future.

Regards,

Crystal Valenzuela
360-254-0900

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Miami, Florida, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

I used to stay at this hotel when it was the Rodeway inn back in June 2012. I had back then considered it fair for its price. Much has changed since my previous stay and now (January 2013). With this new manager the quality and service has increased drastically! Probably the greatest boon is the front desk which has been so very homely to us, treating us like family and not just paying customers.

The room itself (I got the suite.) Looks so improved from its previous incarnation. (hell just look at the carpet!) The new flat screen tv is much easier on the eyes as well. To my understanding the hotel is still undergoing renovations so expect more improvements like this.

Probably the best detail about my stay was the proximity to where I needed to be. The hotel sits very close to the 205 interstate which makes it really easy to head to Portland and back. Furthermore its right on the Forth Plains Road allowing for easy access to practically everything in Vancouver WA. To make the situation even better, the hotel sits next to Westfield Mall shopping center. Convienent.

(there is no fitness center, Trip advisor wont let me turn it off, lol.)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank R A
STEVENSON
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

Usually when I go to Portland on my own and want to go economy I go to The Troutdale Travel lodge. As a wyndham Rewards "member" I checked other motels in the area and came upon a Howard Johnson's in Vancouver WHICH IS THIS MOTEL. At first they didn't recognize or want to recognize the reservation in terms of room reserved nor rate quoted; I had the confirmation # on my net book and brought it in. That settled that. They gave me a handicap room which was fine since it did have a bathtub. However, The hairdryer was broken, the sink drained poorly to not at all, the microwave timer was stuck and the only way to turn it off was by pulling the plug. The showerhead kept slipping and the carpet had been cleaned but was not clean! My wife would never have spent the night here. ! MY biggest comlaint was the "notsocontinental breakfast" Rotten bananas. I would have been embarrassed to leave them out. Some people like them I guess, but the rest was worse than the Troutdale Travel Lodge and that's pretty bad. So not only did I drive further, spent an few more dollars but got less quality.! On the other hand I do think improvements are on their way (maybe!) The staff was very friendly, though I received no apology nor compensation for the poor quality of the room. I gave it in writing to the desk clerk written on my room invoice so it was hard to miss. Too bad because the place has potential As I was leaving a hotel employee was changing the fan belt on his old truck and had me locked in. It was raining hard and I did not like it. It was unnecessary to do it right there with plenty of room to spare If you are hungry after hours there isn't much to choose from, but the 7/11 nearby has a surprisingly excellent selection of foods including fresh fruit salads OHHHHHH!!! watch out for the bed; so soft that no handicapped person could ever use it without trouble getting in and out of bed

Room Tip: ask to check the room before you buy!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank vovhund
Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

I stayed for three days, I loved the location,being close to the Westfield Mall for shopping. Room was very nice, new carpet and very clean, flat screen tv, and wi-fi. I loved the pool and hot tub! All the staff that i encountered were exceptional! I had the pleasure of meeting the new owners who treated me like family and told me they are continuing to up date the hotel (which is very obvious). I will stay again here for sure, and recommend it to my friends and family!

Room Tip: I would recommend spending a little extra and get a room with a microwave and a refridge.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family