“Worst Housekeeping Ever”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #17 of 29 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Would like to say nice things. The location is central. Close to the freeway, but far enough to be quiet. Rooms decent, although a little small. Include microwave and refrigerator. Just spent 6 nights (two prepaid reservations - added a night before arriving). Breakfast my first morning, they were out of bacon, yogurt, and most of the fruit. Breakfast is 6 to 9, and I went down at 8. Emailed the manager (not on duty), who said they only ordered food once a week, they would be ordering the next day, and they had more guests than anticipated. The next morning they were out of plates and I had to use bowls. Plate issue was remedied before I left the breakfast room. Shower had very poor water pressure. Cold was marked as hot, and hot as cold. Water temperature very inconsistent. Would adjust comfortably, then it would suddenly go very cold, then very hot. Bedroom clock had wrong time and no background light. Gave up trying to adjust when I saw I could use the microwave clock. Internet was free, and fairly fast, but inconsistent. Also, when logging in with Internet Explorer, the big "Yes, I Accept" would change your computer so it logged into Google, not whatever you had chosen, so you had to log in to the small print "yes I accept" if you did not want your computer messed with. When I logged in with Chrome, it asked one or two very inane questions before you could log in. Bathroom amenities were second rate and did not include conditioner. But worst of all was housekeeping. I had late activities, so usually left around 11:30 A.M. First and second mornings were OK, except they did not refresh the bathroom amenities, and the second morning I still saw toothpaste on the counter, and it did not appear they had changed the bedding. Third morning I saw a sign on my door saying the Do Not Disturb sign was still out at 10:30 A.M., so if I wanted my room made up, contact the front desk. I was rushing out the side door at 11:30, so just threw the DND sign and the contact front desk sign on the bed, and left. There were still three carts in the hall, so I thought they might make up the room anyway. Did not happen. The 4th morning, same sign, except it said since I wasn't out of the room by 10 A.M.. This time I stopped by the front desk and ask for the room to be made up. It was made up around 5 P.M., when I was back in my room for a break. After they left, the toothpaste from the second night was still on the bathroom counter, along with a fly that had passed away a night or two before. They did refresh my amenities. The 5th morning, I had to check out, and check back in because of the two reservations. I did so before the noon check out, but at 12:30, when housekeeping knocked on my door, I was still in the bathroom, although I left within a half hour. There was no sign this time asking me to check with the front desk, so I assumed they would be back to clean my room. No such luck. So out of five nights (I left after the 6th), my room was cleaned normally twice, once on request, and not at all twice. It id not appear the bedding was ever changed.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank 1000Mike
JoeJohns, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Hello again 1000Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay here on Trip Advisor. I was pretty sure we cleared up confusion on housekeeping over emails, but I am more than willing to explain here again.

The first 2 days of your visit, housekeeping reached your room after you have left and removed the Do Not Disturb sign. As housekeeping does not reach each room everyday at the same time, on the third day they reached your room before you left for the day and was met with a Do Not Disturb sing. We do not enter any rooms with Do Not Disturb signs, but for your convenience, we leave the request for service notice on your door so that you can receive service by contacting the front desk before 2:30pm. Housekeeping will not go back to a room they have left a notice for unless otherwise intructed by front desk, which is the sole purpose of the request for service notice. As far as the bedding being changed, we have a Green Program in place at our property. There are 2 brochures in every room that inform our guests of what these are. The one in the bathroom states that if you would like fresh towel, simply place them upon the ground and we will refresh for you. Otherwise leave the towels hung up on the towel rack and housekeeping will leave them as they are. Also, bedding is changed every 3rd day unless otherwise asked or there was something wrong with the bedding, stains, holes etc. These programs save energy and water and is something we are very proud of and always encourage. I apologize that you missed these brochures explaining these programs and I will double check that they are still in place in every room.

If there is more you would like to discuss about these items, please feel free to contact me at 360-696-0411 or you can email me at vancouverhotel@mkmhotels.com

Reviewed August 17, 2012

Really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. They were very helpful to accommodate any of my needs. Loved the convenience of having a microwave and fridge in my room. And the bathroom was very spacious, especially liking the heated fan next to the shower. Lots of parking, and breakfast was wonderful. They ran out of the fresh fruit early, but everything else was fantastic. Fast internet in the business center, and comfortable beds that didn't irritate my sensitive skin. Location was a great value for being so close to the Portland area. A little traffic getting to the city in the morning, but it's a big city. Maybe only 10-15 minutes to get downtown in heavy traffic, but the drive over the bridges and along the Columbia River made it worth it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
JoeJohns, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Hello AbigailElizabeth2012,

Thank you for your review of your stay with us! I always am glad to hear my guests are well accommodated and satifisfied. If you ever need anything while in our area again, please contact us and we would be more than happy to serve you again!

Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

Very good comfort inn. Comfortable beds, good breakfast selection good location and decent amenities. Our rooms had refrigerators and the hotel was clean and so were the rooms. We didn't swim but the pool also looked nice.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Wyomingdan

Hello Wyomingdan,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review. I am so pleased that your stay was enjoyable. If you are ever in the area again, please look us up and we would be more than happy to serve you again!

Reviewed July 29, 2012

I've always enjoyed staying at Comfort Inns until this stay. The room was clean and the help was nice and friendly, but the breakfast room was painful. I went to sit down at breakfast and, as I went to scoot in my chair, I ended up with my fingers between the unattached cushion board and a metal frame. It was extremely painful! It took over a week for the bleeding to completely stop. I found there was another broken one in there too (I checked before I sat down again)! If this had happened to my elderly mom who was with me, we would have been in the emergency room.The staff did give me a band aid. It ruined a whole day of vacation plus made it difficult to do things when I got back home. I've reported this to the hotel and to the company since I got home. I haven't received any response at all. I guess it's okay for a customer to get hurt.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
JoeJohns, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Hello gteach4,

Thank you again for taking the time to let me know about this issue. I want you to know that I did receive this comment through Choice Hotels and that I did issue my response on Jully 22nd through email. If you did not receive this response then I sincerely apologize. I would be more than happy to forward you the email that I sent. If you would like to email or call me to verify your email address, I would be more than happy to do so. My email is vancouverhotel@mkmhotels.com and my number is 360-696-0411.

Thanks,

Reviewed July 25, 2012

Its clean and does the basics right but for a Comfort Inn I expected more and for that I am disappointed and give it an average rating.

The good:
- Clean and comfortable
- Good location close to downtown Vancouver and interstate
- Overall presentation and condition of the motel

The average:
- breakfast

The bad:
- small room (it appears not all rooms are the same dimensions as I've read other comments about their room being big)
- slow internet
- poor shower pressure
- house keeping appears to be slow I had to wait for my room even after the official check in time

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank shazam10

Hello shazam10,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property on trip advisor. I appreciate the simple list of items that we are doing well and where we need to improve. The water pressure and the slow internet issues will be looked into immediately and I apologize that you had these items were experienced on your visit.

Also, I do apologize for the wait on your room. Being at full capacity can sometimes hinder being able to check guests in at the earliest possible time the following day, but I will definitely be looking into these items and making sure this does not happen again.

I want to thank you again for this review and if you would like to like to talk about these issues further, please contact me at 360-696-0411 or email me at vancouverhotel@mkmhotels.com

Thanks,

Reviewed July 19, 2012

3 nights of staying on the 4th floor with no elevator , no concern with senior citizen with a bad leg and knee,,,,had to walk 4 flights of stairs every day for 3 1/2 days. Manager wouldn't move us to a lower level room, manager wouldn't call us back after leaving several messages for him. Manager is Joe Johnson. Worst experience at a hotel ive ever had. Elevator wasn't even close to being repaired even after we had left the hotel. Mr Johnson assured us that it would be fixed and that the repair man wasn't leaving till it was ,,, that didn't happen.

And with all that the room glasses and soap were never there after the maid left. Asked for glasses and soap and was told that I had to walk 4 flights of stairs to get them even after the maid forgot to put them there!!! Never again!! Front desk and manager need some training!!! This was NOT a comfort inn!!!!! The AARP will be told that this hotel has no concern for senior citizens. I will be contacting the BBB as well. This place was a nightmare.

Not to mention that 20 kids were running up and down the halls on every floor of the hotel all night.

• Stayed: July 2012
JoeJohns, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

kiowa110,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am deeply concerned about these comments made here. As you can see with our previous comments here, I have always strived to perfomr at 100% satisfaction. So to see a comment like this come all the way to Trip Advisor before I know anything about it is very regretable. I would like nothing more than to talk to you about this and hopefully get the full story here to see what I can do for you. You can call me Monday through Friday 9am -5pm at 360-356-2280 or email me anytime at vancouverhotel@mkmhotels.com

I hope to hear from you soon and again I sincerely apologize about all of this!

Vancouver, WA 98660

Reviewed July 18, 2012

The front desk personnel were very friendly and knowlegable. They went out of their way to help us. The room was spacious and the spa tub was relaxing. The continental breakfast was really good, one of the best we have enjoyed. we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Conquistad0r

Hello Larry A,

Thank you very much for the kind review! We are always striving to do our best and give 100% all the way. I am very pleased that your stay with us was an enjoyable one. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Vancouver, WA