“Great views but hotel a bit sad” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay

Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay
Ranked #20 of 29 Hotels in Vancouver
Willits, California, United States
“Great views but hotel a bit sad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

We knew what we were getting into and hadn;t expected much. We actually had a quite nice time. The hotel is a bit tired but the beds were comfortable, room was clean. We were not bothered by the trains as some say. We usually turn on the A/C or fan anywhere we stay, so not a problem. We were paying by Priceline, which means you often get the room near the doors or a view of the garbage. Our room did face the ballroom or large meeting room and there was a pretty good size party going on but it ended by midnight and we stay up late, so no problem.
The area is beautiful, the riverwalk was gorgeous at sunset. We loved watching the boats and it was a wonderful night. We never knew the walk was there, so it was a great surprise and to take a hike to the fort was awesome. Families and couples all out enjoying the nice night. Would stay there again. Just understand it is an older property and although the staff were polite, nothing special. Food choices were not plentiful. Higher end properties and Joes Crab Shack but not a lot of choice, easy to get to things in the area by car.

Room Tip: If you can get a room facing the river, that wold be nice but not worth paying more, just take a wal...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
RLH Vancouver Y, Guest Services at Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Thank you very much for your review. We look forward to seeing you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for two nights. Since I stayed there for a State conference the check in process was a little slow (they were bombarded with State conference attendees). Initially they only had one person doing the check-in but once he got some help it improved. They had all our information ready from the confirmation (no mix ups). The aesthetics of the rooms are a little out dated but the room was clean, the bathroom was clean, the bed was comfy and noise was not an issue.

1 Thank Ana G
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

The rooms are clean, and the bed is fairly comfortable. The main problem we had was finding our way around. In order to get to the second floor elevator, you have to go a long way. It would be much more convenient if an elevator was installed close to the reservation/check-in desk. There were stairs there, but hauling suitcases up the stairs is difficult (especially for senior citizens. The stair was very close to our room. Also, it would be nice of room service was actually available.

Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

Thank you very much for your review. We were not offering Room Service during the months when business levels were slow, but we are now serving Room Service again. We are grateful for your feedback and look forward to having you back again!
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

Hotel was very nice, pool was closed but appeared to be closed because spring had just started. Staff was very professional and courteous, I asked for a good seafood restaurant in the area and she directed me to one that I must agree was fantastic. My room faced the river and the view was very nice. Next time I am in Portland, I will be returning to this hotel, it's worth the 5 minute drive across the bridge.

Las Vegas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

I stayed here with 2 of my employees and we were all impressed. We asked for a river view room. We were charged a little more, but it was worth it. The rooms were comfortable, clean and spacious. And we really liked the restaurant. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a river side room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Pendleton, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

Upon check-in my co-worker and I were given our room keys and directions for our rooms which was located on the other side of the round-about in front of the hotel. The outside door needed a key to enter, but neither of our keys worked. Co-worker went back to front desk to get both keys "fixed." Tried hers and was successful. But of course, when I got to my room the key didn't work again. Maybe it was my fault for not double-checking it worked, but after already having it fixed you would think it was FIXED. Luckily there was a House Phone in the hallway instead of having to traipse back down to the lobby thru their odd layout of a hotel. This was how the rest of my stay would go; leave room and not be able to enter again unless they had someone open the door for me and then go and get me new keys. We were not the only guests this happened to either; A LOT of people had the same problem, just not sure if it continued to happen to them as it did to me. Each time I needed help though, I cannot fault the staff because they were incredibly helpful and would be apologetic and do the best they could to remedy the issue fast and with much courtesy. I have to say Evan was more than accommodating by giving me food vouchers which I appreciated. As for the rooms themselves, they were very small, but clean. The bathroom was especially tight quarters with having to close door to use toilet behind it. Which was fine for modesty anyway, but in order to reach towels, you would almost have to close the door. Old TV with lots of lines running through it; not many channels; scary 1st floor sliding door that led out to a walkway that was covered with overgrowth and didn't look very secure or safe. My last issue was with the conference rooms. While we had a great view of the river and all the boats, I would hope that if they ever remodel they will consider a better soundproofing. You could hear every horn, whistle, hammer, etc in that room. Made it very distracting to hear presenters. Front staff was great, but restaurant staff and wait staff at banquet seemed a bit haggard and not too accommodating. These were my main issues; I could probably complain about some other issues. Was glad to go home.

Room Tip: I said it was a "poor" location based on the type of travel I was there for, which was for...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
RLH Vancouver Y, Guest Services at Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Thank you for your helpful review. We really appreciate your feedback. I'm sorry that we did not make you and your associate feel more welcome upon arrival. It is really discouraging to have issues with keys when you are tired and ready to get into your room. I apologize that we weren't able to assist you. We really enjoyed having your group here and we're anxious to have you back again. The information you provided is very helpful to identify the areas we need to improve in order to provide the quality of service you deserve. Thank you again for your review. We hope that you will stay with us again.
Walla Walla, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here on our way to the coast. It was a steal of a deal and in a great location. The room was nice and very clean, didn't have any weird smells that most hotels tend to have. The staff were super friendly as well. It was also just a short walk from Joe's Crabshack and Who-Song and Larry's. We will stay here again next time we're in the Vancouver/Portland area.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RLH Vancouver Y, Guest Services at Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Super review! We're so glad you chose to stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vancouver
Hilton Vancouver Washington
Comfort Inn & Suites Vancouver
Homewood Suites by Hilton Vancouver-Portland
Red Lion Hotel on the River
Heathman Lodge
Heathman Lodge
#2 of 29 in Vancouver
Best Western Plus Vancouver Mall Dr. Hotel & Suites

Been to Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay? Share your experiences!