“Nicely Located”

and 1 more site!
Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay
Ranked #20 of 29 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed April 18, 2013

The location of this Red Lion allowed us to quickly access all of the locations we desired. The room we stayed in was in really good condition and even though it wasn't a listed as "river view" it had a great view of the water and bridges. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I would recommend this location to fellow travelers. The Joe's Crab Shack is five minutes down the road and was a great late night dinner!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay

Reviewed March 4, 2013

10 days ago I left an item in my room. I have called the front desk to be forwarded twice to 'House Keeping' and leave a voice mail,and receive no response. I called during their supervisor's shift, I was told my message would be delivered and she would respond as quickly as possible, I decided to call back this same day only to find she decided to not only ignore my message but also leave home early. I have even gone as far as to contact Laurene Patrick Director of Rooms.Also to never hear back from her. I will never stay at this Red Lion again. Highly disappointing.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Berklee C
RLH Vancouver Y, Director of Rooms at Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for contribution I apologize that I have not spoken with you regarding your lost and found item. I do return all lost and found inquiries whether I am able to locate the item or not. I will check to see if I have the correct contact information and try to get in contact with you tomorrow. I know how frustrating it is not to get a response and I'm very sorry that we haven't connected. Thank you again for your feedback. I look forward to speaking with you and the opportunity to improve the quality of our guest service.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

This Red Lion property has probably seen better days but offers a good overall experience. It has a good location with walking access to downtown Vancouver, Ft Vancouver and the "River Trail" walkway along the Columbia. I'd opt for a river side if available or a third floor room facing the pool and river. Access to elevator is not convenient but it is only a three story building. Heating is accomplished with pretty ancient AC unit in wall. Slow to get going and a bit of a challenge to control not to mention a bit noisey. Just turn it off if you can get the room comfortable before going to bed.

Restuarant is quite large with river view and a nautical theme. Had a very good dinner and a pretty fair breakfast. You can walk a block to Joe's Crab shack on the river but it was insane on a Saturday night. The bar has live music weekends.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Joe M
RLH Vancouver Y, Director of Rooms at Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. We really appreciate the feedback, as it helps us to improve our service. We look forward to having you back again soon!

Reviewed February 24, 2013

I found this hotel to be excellent. My only negative was that the room I was promised (overlooking the river) was not provided. Instead, I had a room overlooking the parking area. Other than that, I have nothing but kudos. The room was immaculate, the bed comfortable, water in the shower was hot and the pressure was good, the restaurant (dinner and breakfast) were excellent and good price. Lunch was a sit down event at a conference and the food was excellent. Chicken was moist and the entire luncheon was good.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank Julia B
RLH Vancouver Y, Director of Rooms at Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. I apologize that the room type you requested wasn't available when you checked in. Thank you for being so nice about it! I hope that you will choose to stay with us when you're in the area again. Hopefully next time we can get you a view of the water! Thank you again. We sincerely appreciate your feedback!

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stay at this hotel in connection with a one day meeting. Arrived after 2 pm for check-in and waiting guests were beginning to think that nobody was working at the hotel. We were finally registered and our room was ready. Elevators are difficult to find and are out of the way. This presented some difficulty for aging conference attendees and those with canes and walkers.

Our room 225 on the second floor was a great room, probably their best. It had a king bed, two large comfortable chairs and being a corner room, had a great view of the river. There's a door from your room that lets you access the walkway.

The room was very clean. No complaints there. The tv is old style no flat screen. There was a concealed fridge and microwave and mr. Coffee coffee pot. Air/heating unit was old and noisy. We turned it off so we could sleep. Woke up cold early and turned it back on. They need to replace. Wi-if was free and worked well wherever we were at in the hotel.

Meeting rooms were comfortable and met our groups needs.

The restaurant s another thing altogether. When we arrived we could see confusion and that should have clued us in, especially when someone departing said "don't stay, it's not worth the wait". We waited and waited and waited. After an hour we received food. We had repeatedly warned our server and hostess of our schedule. They knew they had a major conference but it appeared they were severely under staffed. We spoke with the manager and did receive some attention. However, it ruined our evening, which was also an anniversary celebration.

We ventured in the next morning for breakfast but made sure we arrived before opening so that we would be on time for the 9 am meeting. Buffet was small, but ok, sCost for two was $20. Again, there was disorganization, some staff saying you could order from menu, others saying it was buffet only.

If you stay here, my recommendation would be to research nearby restaurants. The Quay needs new management. It's a shame because it is a lovely restaurant with a great view f the river.

Room Tip: If you do not have disabilities and can take the stairs, get a room on the second floor with a water...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank pmccunn

Thank you very much for your feedback. We appreciate hearing from our guests because it helps us improve our service. I apologize that the restaurant portion of your hotel stay did not meet your expectaion. I know that they were overwhelmed by the volume of guests that came in to dine before the conference resumed at 7. While we were prepared for a large number of people, honestly we weren't prepared well enough!. We have been discussing it as a staff and looking for ways that we can improve and work together to make your experience at the Quay positive and memorable. I hope that you will visit us again and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how relaxing it can be to dine in our waterfront restaurant. Thank you agian for taking the time to share your experience!

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I don't even know where to start that is how horrible our experience was with this hotel. Were pretty loyal Red Lion club members and have been staying at the Jantzen Beach location for years without any issues so we decided to give the Quay a second try(yes we stayed once before and it was crappy we should have learned our lesson!) because Jantzen Beach was booked up.

We found a jacuzzi suite and decided to splurge a little because we were celebrating valentines day. The rate was quite high. Upon checking into the room it looked decent although pretty out dated. It was clean and the view of the river was great. We stepped out to go pick up dinner and a few snacks. When we returned to the room I went to put some items into the kitchens mini fridge and came across a decent amount of marijuana just laying on the floor. I called the front desk to inform them of this and the gal did not seem surprised in fact she asked if we wanted to keep it! Not sure if she was joking or not but none the less it was an inappropriate comment. I said no so she then said she would have someone come up and take it away. About 45 minutes later someone finally arrived to pick it up. Had this been the only issue during our stay our review would have been much better but that is not the case.

I ran the tub to relax in the jacuzzi that we had paid a pretty hefty rate for but once I went to turn on the jets the button fell down into the shell of the tub. I had to drain the water, get out and once again call the front desk. I explained what happened and she said maintenance would be right up to take a look. This time she was pretty short with me and quit rude. Maintenance arrived within a few minutes and before even entering the suite he stated that the jacuzzi was not working in our suite, he went on to say that upon checking in the front desk staff should have informed us of the issue. They very well should have because had we known we would not have proceeded with our reservation. We would have either stayed somewhere else or asked for a different room. We paid a very high rate for the jacuzzi suite.

We finally decided to head to bed and try to get a good nights sleep about 8:45pm(we are parents of 2 special needs children so it's hard for us to get a good nights sleep at home and even harder for us to get away for a night!) The jacuzzi incident was about 8PM around 9:45pm we were awoke with a call from the front desk apologizing for the broken jacuzzi the gal offered us 50% off breakfast at the hotel to make up for it not working. I declined and stated that we would be speaking with management upon checking out.

We went back to bed only to be awoke a few hours later by a large group of people right outside our suite on the balcony being very loud. I would have called the front desk again but didn't want to deal with the same rude gal so we ended up not even getting a good night sleep.

We decided to just get up early and check out we had, had enough even though our intention was to stay until check out time. I went to check out and the front desk person was not even aware of everything that had went on so I had to explain he then looked our reservation up and found that the night staff had taken 20% off our rate. He felt that this was not adequate and stated he would be giving our review card directly to the manager and that they would be calling us later in the day. We never received a call...in fact to date we have not gotten a call from the hotel.

I contacted the Red Lion Corp. office via email twice before getting a reply stating that someone would be contacting us but yet again as of the date of this review we still have not gotten any such call.

In conclusion we strongly advise that you not waste your hard earned money at this hotel. You are much better off driving across the river to the Jantzen Beach location. Even the Motel 6 down the road is better than this place!!!! They charge a 3-4 star rate for a less than 1 star hotel.
This experience is almost enough for us to take our business elsewhere.

Room Tip: Skip this hotel and head across the river to the Jantzen Beach location it's 100% better!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kimmiegrl80
RLH Vancouver Y, Director of Rooms at Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Thank you for your reponse. I am very sorry that we not facilitate the relaxing night away from home that you had planned. Our service, quality, and professionalism did not represent Red Lion standards. I have left a message with you. I hope that we will have the chance to speak very soon so that we may address some of the many issues you describe. I am committed to providing excpeptional guest care and a clean, welcome environment. I know that is what our guests expect from Red LIon. Thank you again for taking your time to review our hotel. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

The hotel was older, but seemed to be kept up. The neighborhood, had not. It is literally on the other side of the railroad track. My wife and I stayed there on a business trip, but didnt venture out, other than to go across the river to Portland to shop. The restaurant has a nautical theme which our 8 year old loved. The food was ok, but not three star. The bar seemed to be where the locals came to dance, but has a cover to go into, unless you stay at the hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view of the river
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank John B

Thank you for your review of our hotel from November 2012. We appreciate your feedback! We look forward to having your family stay with us again!

DIrector of Rooms

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vancouver
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#15 of 29 in Vancouver
Hilton Vancouver Washington
Red Lion Hotel on the River
Homewood Suites by Hilton Vancouver-Portland
Oxford Suites Portland - Jantzen Beach
La Quinta Inn & Suites Vancouver

Been to Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay? Share your experiences!