“Check Your Door”

Ranked #20 of 29 Hotels in Vancouver
Renton, Washington
“Check Your Door”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

The location of this hotel is good. It's right on the river, walking path and restaurants nearby. During the day I found it noisy with planes and trains. It quieted down at night. My biggest complaint was that my door did not lock. I didn't find this out until I went to get breakfast and checked the door as I left. All you had to do was push on it and you were in my room. The front desk personnel moved me to a new room, but I found out that they allowed someone else to stay in that room without the door being fixed. I told the housekeeper about the situation and she called maintenance immediately. Be sure to check your doors when staying at this older hotel.

Room Tip: The pool wasn't open, so rooms facing it would have been the quietest.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank BonJonSon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Issaquah, Washington
Reviewed May 20, 2012

One word, "Nasty!". We weren't expecting much from the Red Lion chain. Stayed at the Missoula Red Lion, which was a joke. We needed a pet friendly hotel for our 115 lbs horse that we call the family dog. I use to live in Vancouver and this specific hotel is located in the armpit. With that in mind, you can only imagine the less than wholesome people roaming the property. We arrived and were greeted with a full parking lot to include four buses full of teens and young adults getting ready to check in. I stood in the parking lot (after spending awhile trolling for a spot) and watched as 2 mischievous teens prepared their great escape by attempting to remove the window screen from their THIRD floor window. All I could say was, "f@&$". Checked in and was given roundabout directions to our room. Found the room to be located next to the candy and ice machines. I'm still wondering if the PWT woman finally got her hot tamales after accusing the helpless machine of theft. Found the room to be outdated and smelly. But what should I expect for a pet room. We got tucked in and everything was well. Idiots teens in room 120 decided to have themselves a party to include giggling teenage girls and music. I complained to the front desk at 0100am. Security arrived And nothing changed. I complained a 2nd time. Better threat of removal made by security, but same result. Party ended around 0300. We were finally about to get some rest when the occupants in the room above felt it necessary to rearrange the furniture and go outside to smoke every half hour. I guess my rant just illustrates the fact that the walls are paper thin. Didn't feel bad when my 18 month old woke up at 0750 and was being loud. We actually encouraged her. Needless to say we got out of that place as soon as we could. Do not stay here.

Room Tip: Go to the Hilton up the street. Better yet just keep driving and don't look back.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank DarinPK
Norman, Oklahoma
Reviewed May 18, 2012

HORRIBLE. Upon entering the room looked clean, however, when I pulled the blanket back to get in bed, it was obvious that someone just made the bed, and didn't bother changing the sheets from the previous occupant. DISGUSTING. During my one night stay, I found two spiders crawling on the bed and on me. The shower head of all things was terribly powerful. While showering I had to shield some areas from getting hit. It hurt that bad. The room looks like one you'd see on a prostitution sting video. Like I said, the only thing good about my stay was the gorgeous view of the Columbia River.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank eeg1977ok
Auburn, Washington
Reviewed May 13, 2012

We got a good deal through Priceline for this queen room ($55 name your own price). Needed someplace to stay in Vancouver for an overnight. After submitting a "name-your-own price" and finding out it was this hotel I wasn't sure what to expect. The pictures don't leave a lot to be desired.

We were pleasantly surprised after check-in. The front desk staff were very friendly, the room was clean, and we got a good room location with a river view. About 30 minutes after getting to our room we got an in-room call to check to see that the room suited our needs and if we needed anything else. We've never had that, even at 4 star hotels.

The location is right on the river and with the sun shining it was a great place to spend the warm evening.

The bath products are bio-degradable and they offered ear plugs.

The only cons would be that there were only 3 very soft pillows, it's right next to the active railroad, the hallways are a bit dated, and the housekeeping staff were not super friendly. No smiles or hello's as I've seen with other hotels. None of these were deal breakers considering we weren't using the room for something special, just a place to sleep.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side are more next to the railroad. West and south rooms will have a water view...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Lndzy13
Meridian, Idaho
Reviewed April 26, 2012

An older hotel that is showing its age. Room rates were pretty high with that in mind. Parking more difficult than expected with all the activities in the bar plus prom night, etc. We had to park on the street. Room was clean and we were fortunate to be at the end of the hallway considering there was a Prom going on and was very noisy. Would stay there again as it was easy access to and from the interstate.

Room Tip: Do not plan on breakfast as it begins pretty late (7:AM) in the morning for a business traveler or a...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank westwindsraider
Milton Freewater, Oregon
Reviewed April 23, 2012

No complaints at all. This property is right on the river, and many rooms have a great view. There is a 4mi paved path basically right outside the door which was amazing. For being an "older" hotel, we were pleased. And most importantly, our room was clean, although a bit small. This property is also pet friendly, which is actually why we chose it! Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Travelingwith2dogs
Rochester,WA
Reviewed March 18, 2012

For the age of this hotel it is I think it's a bit over priced especially for a Sunday night and an emty parking lot. The lounge staff was excellent tho and made it a great stay, the property is clean and well kept we would stay here again and yes I would still think it was over priced!

Room Tip: King singles are great!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Rusty1Rochester_WA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vancouver
Hilton Vancouver Washington
Comfort Inn & Suites Vancouver
Homewood Suites by Hilton Vancouver-Portland
Red Lion Hotel on the River
Oxford Suites Portland - Jantzen Beach
Heathman Lodge
Heathman Lodge
#2 of 29 in Vancouver

Been to Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay? Share your experiences!