“Never again”

Comfort Suites Vancouver
Ranked #14 of 29 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed August 21, 2013

The hotel was oversold. Plain and simple, I made a reservation and my credit card would have been charged for the value of a room if I had not shown up. However, when they didn't hold the reservation, all I got was not having to pay for the room we didn't get. Doesn't seem fair. This does not even begin to address the nuisance impact of having to find a place for my daughter and her fiance to stay at 12:30 at night. When I went to the hotel the next morning, the manager was not there. I asked to have her call me. She never did. When I finally tracked her down, she blamed the error on the corporate office. They told me it was at the hotel. The customer service was TERRIBLE all the way around.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Elizabeth S
ComfortSuitesVanMall, General Manager at Comfort Suites Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Dear Elizabeth S.,

I am unsure of the Manager you had spoken with, but I assure you it wasn't me. If your reservation was booked via 800 Choice or Choice Online then there are possibilities of either guests having little to few discrepancies on their own behalf or Choice simply making a minor mistake while sending the reservation through to the hotel. This is why the Hotel and Choice recommends you review your reservation confirmation as soon as booking to ensure no discrepancies and all is to the guests liking 100% so that there are no issues upon arrival, or we push to try and have guests book with the hotel directly. It also states to contact the hotel directly after booking for other surcharges or possibly procedures.

I believe I am aware of your reservation and that we were unable to honor your daughter and fiance to check into the hotel due to you booking under your Credit Card, wanting to pay, no authorization form was filled out, you were not present and the reservation was in your name not theirs. It is standard policy for the guest to be present unless they fill out a Credit Card Cauterization form giving the Hotel authorization to charge the room for the amount of days listed, under the guests listed, without the card holder present. Many a times, guest applaud us for this policy and procedure as it helps minimize on fraud to their account and it help minimize charge backs on the hotels behalf.

Apologies on not being able to check in your party requested. For more of a lesser confidential and fraud minimizing process of check in, I recommend staying at a lower star Hotel such as the Motel 6, during your next visit to the area, unless you are willing to follow our hotel policy.

There are newer reviews for Comfort Suites Vancouver

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I recently spent two days at the hotel and found much to like. The room was good sized and the beds comfortable. The staff seemed to be constantly hustling. The hot tub/spa was pleasant and relaxing. The breakfast was better than most featuring hot scrambled eggs and sausage among other foods.

But there were two things I found troubling. While I was in the bathroom I gazed down at the floor and noticed that, in the high traffic area, the tile was light in color. Outside that area the it was considerably darker. I scratched a small dark area with my mail, removed some of the schmutz, and discovered the tile beneath was the same color as the high-traffic area, meaning that all the darker area was dirty. It didn't seem to be actual dirt as in "soil"; I suspect is was a build up of a floor finish that had captured the dirt and had not been worn off by foot traffic. Unpleasant to think about. I think a good stripping and waxing would take care of this.

The other problem was more troubling. Outside the entrance there are a couple of benches that are, in reality, the smokers' ghetto. People were often milling about there, but one night, returning from dinner, there 5 or 6 men who appeared to be laborers sitting there. Suddenly one of the men ran away at full speed being chased by a second man with a Tazer-like baton that he was arcing ("zap-zap-zap!!!) as he pursued the first. The first man escaped getting zapped by jumping over a nearby fence. We just got the h**l out of there. Was this the fault of the hotel? No, but I think the location of the hotel had something to do with it. It is in the corner of a mall (next to a HoJo hotel) that is rather isolated. I believe that feeling of isolation contributed to the assailant's behavior. I cannot imagine he would have done that on a well-traveled city street. So the question is really one of Security (yes, with a capital S). I would suggest that something be done to reduce the sense of isolation. By the way, I continue to ponder whether I should have called the police to report the assault-in-progress...

Personally, I think that there are other, similar hotels that might be a tad better maintained and more secure, so I'm unlikely to stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear DiogeneseSC,

Thank you for taking the time out of your bust schedule to submit a review on your most recent stay. Please know that I have shown your review to staff and Housekeeping especially and have already taken action this morning and purchased special brushes for our bathroom tile and grout.

As for the smokers, currently we do have a construction company in house from California that has been coming to us for 7 years now. They do come once a year for an extended period of time and although they do not look as classy as the average individual, I can assure you they are all a very nice and respectful bunch, not only to staff, but to other guests as well. And yes, they did purchase a new toy tazer to make the females traveling with them feel safer,but being on a good relationship with all our corporate guests, all it took was a simple request from management for them to put it away and keep locked away in their room, they did without hesitant and respected once management asked and requested going forward to conduct themselves maturely and respectfully if staying at the Comfort Suites. I will continue to welcome this bunch of 'ghettos' back to my hotel and am sorry to hear we lost you and yours as one.

Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed three days on business. Rooms have been updated but not the tubs. Overall clean and a better than average comfort suites. Would stay again. Try to get the second floor as street noise can be heard.

• Stayed: August 2013
ComfortSuitesVanMall, General Manager at Comfort Suites Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Dear EDelan,

We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your most recent stay with us and will be back again! Thank you very much for your review and enjoy the rest of your Summer!

Reviewed July 2, 2013

It's a great value for your money! Waited over 5 hours to use the laundry because the only give the key out to one person and no can use the washer while dryer is being used. I finally got smart and went to local laundromat. Breakfast was awesome! Much better than most continentals. Looks like they do need to bleach shower because could see mold on the tile. When we first arrived, there was a barking dog next to us. They were booked so we couldn't be move but the nice thing, hotel service took care of it never heard the dog again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
ComfortSuitesVanMall, General Manager at Comfort Suites Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear CM6789,

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay for the price and found it very within reason. I am pleased staffing was able to correct the issue of your fellow neighbors pet issue. We strive to make sure all guests have a clean, quiet, comfortable stay with us and hope you did as well.

We look forward to serving you again in the near future!

Reviewed July 2, 2013

The rooms were excellent. The pool was great. The breakfast was nice. The service was exceptional. My only question: Why were there three copies of the EXACT SAME painting in our room? Yes, the SAME painting THREE times!!! (Oh, don't worry, the room was still excellent. And I don't mean to be complaining too much. It was just an odd thing.) We had a great time! (Our three year-old son thought the closet door was an elevator. It entertained him for hours.)

Dear Joe C.,

Thank you for your recent stay, and feedback. We strive on meeting and exceeding all guests expectations in every aspect that we are able to. We are pleased you and yours enjoyed your stay and do ask to come back and see us again!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have stayed at this location several times this year and plan on coming back.
The rooms are clean and pretty renovated. The staff was alright, but not as friendly as I expected....maybe because I work front desk myself....
Anyway, I would recommend this location to anyone who is looking for a clean, quiet, and decently priced hotel!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Dear Sv3ta,

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to submit a response about your recent stay. We strive on exceeding the daily customers expectations on staff friendliness. Please know that I have shown staff your review and have used it as an example of what we can improve on.

Thank you again for your review and do come back and see us again!

Regards,

Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is definately worth your time to stay here! The rooms were very clean, and spacious. The pool area with the spa were clean and adequate. The staff were very friendly, and made our stay as comfortable as can be. The breakfast was delicious, every morning we had many options, but there was always hot eggs, and sausage, bisquits and gravy, and/or waffles, and more. We really enjoyed our stay here, and thanks to priceline got an awesome deal!! Location is ideal right next to the mall, and lots of restuarants, like olive garden and red lobster. Would definately reccommend this place. Our children didnt want to leave!

Dear Shawna D.,

Thank you very much for your review. We are pleased you and yours thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us, our convenient location, and were able to take advantage of some of the great attractions next to us! Do come back and see us again!