“Just Awful”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed October 11, 2006

I didn't even check in. The activity in the front lobby was enough to know better.

1- A man ahead of me had come in to fill out an application. The man looked fine to me. He was wearing jeans, but he was clean and well kept. The owner saw him, pulled the application away from him and told him he didn't like the way he looked and "We don't need your kind here". The /manager owner said he "looked" like a criminal.

3- There was a new person training at the front desk. I know she was new because as the conversation continued (while I was being taken care of by the other girl) she was fired. Evidently the new desk girl had a disability which required her to sit part of the time. She was sitting, typing at their computer and the owner told her that she needed to stand. She explained that she had a disability and it was not possible to stand for 8 hours without taking short breaks, but she could continue to work from the sitting position. The owner/manager told her that only "healthy people" were permitted to work there, she should have mentioned her disability during the interview and that she was being dismissed.

3- A guest complained that his room key would not open the door. A member of house keeping staff told one of the front desk people that they had been having trouble with that room for days, but nobody fixed it.

The guest also said he reported the problem earlier and had been issued 3 keys and the door still wouldn't open.

I would have thought they would have offered a different room, and would have had the lock fixed. However, nobody seemed to concerned.

I couldn't believe that all of this was going on right in front of me!

I have no idea what the rooms are like, but I didn't want to give my business and hard earned money to such a place

Stayed: October 2006
3  Thank doxiehuahua

Reviewed July 26, 2006

This is an update to a previous review I left on this site. I couldn't find a way to update an existing review so I'm writing a new one. My previous post was about my stay for the 2006 Utica Boilermaker.

When I left the hotel I left a comment card that I had filled out. I left numerous complaints and suggestions as to how they could better serve their customers.

A few weeks after my stay there I recieved a letter from the hotel. Instead of apologizing for a bad stay they instead claimed that everything I had complained about was untrue. This was a bit insulting and just goes to show how little management cares about improving this hotel.

Also, as I mentioned in the previous review the computer systems were down when I needed to checkout. So, the person at the desk took my email address to send me a receipt. They did send me a receipt and also signed me up for their "Choice Hotels" mailing list. Sorry but I did NOT sign up to recieve spam. Luckily I used a throw-away address.

Stayed: June 2006
5  Thank endOfPath
Reviewed July 17, 2006

We checked into this hotel last Saturday evening and stayed in the room all of 2 minutes before deciding that we had to leave - it was just that filthy and smelly and unsafe! First clue was the vagrants wandering the parking lot, second were the empty beer cans strewn around the parking lot, third was the fact that the doors from the lot to the corridors were not locked! A quick circuit of the hall let me know that some of the characters in the lot were freely roaming indoors as well.

Then there was the filthy carpet and torn, filthy curtains (opened to reveal a man in lot peering in!). And the smell.

We went to the desk and indicated we could not stay and asked for a refund due to the smell. Manager/owner was immediately incensed and started yelling at us that we asked for a smoking room and on and on. So we left and went to the Radison in Utica (very nice). Called Orbitz to get a refund in the works, they conferenced in the owner and he kept insisiting we had asked for smoking. Orbitz disagreed with him, as did our confirmation sheet: "non-smoking room". He insisted that "K' meant smoking, Orbitz tried to clarify for him that "K" was for king bed. To no avail, and it's now with Orbitz for resolution.

Oh, and for this pleasure the guy has the gall to charge $150 a night! For that price in a third teir city and with a brand name, you expect basic cleanliness and security. Not from this place. Avoid at all costs!

4  Thank aj914
Reviewed July 6, 2006

This is clearly a hotel to stay away from. The room was not very clean, but aside from that, it was in very bad shape, with patches on the wall, a terribly low ceiling in the shower/bathroom, and for some reason one of the beds in my room was damp, as if there was condensation on it, like there would be on a cold glass of water in a hot room. In addtion, and more importantly, the owner (or the person who said he was the owner) was extremely rude and unhelpful. I had just driven from JFK airport thru rain, etc. and after a long check in period, finally got to my room. I needed to get onto the internet asap, and called the desk for info on this. They informed me that the internet was wireless and that I would need a key to get online. I asked for the key and the owner/manager said that it was fairly long, and that I should come to the front desk for it. Well, unfortunately, I had taken off my pants and wasn't in the mood to walk all the way back. The manager told me that he would not read me the code and when I asked if perhaps someone would bring me the code, he said no. I got a bit angry, seeing as I was in a v ugly room and paying a high price, so he hung up on me. When I put on my pants and walked to the front desk, he did give me the key to the internet and was happy to tell me that he didn't ask me to stay at his hotel. It's an ugly place, with a terrible pool, it's not quiet, even tho the town is v quiet. There's really no reason to stay at a place like this.

• Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank RBCPhuket
A TripAdvisor Member
Binghamton, NY
Reviewed June 11, 2006

Our basketball team stayed at the Quality Inn during a recent tournament.
Despite the fact that this was an expensive room with more restirctions on booking and cancellation than any other hotel I have worked with, we decided to stay here because of the proximity to the tournament. When one of our players had a health emergency and needed to cancel the room around noon the day of check-in., no accomodations could be made and the family had to pay for the room. The rooms were not thoroughly cleaned. Trash was found behind night stands and underwear was found under a bed. These rooms were not a good value and I would recommend hopping on the highway and driving 15-20 mins to find a nicer place.

• Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 7, 2005

My family and I stayed in this Hotel in July 2005, as part of a long touring holiday. Rome was a convenient stopping point on a long drive from Burlington, VT to Ithaca, NY. That said, if doing the same trip again, I would not stay in Rome as it is a sleepy hollow with hardly any decent facilities. The hotel was very dated and in dire need of a makeover. The rooms were functional enough and clean but the carpets, decor and curtains were screaming out to be changed. The staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel is on the edge of a poor area and although there is a decent supermarket a few minutes walk behind the hotel, don't expect to find any haute cuisine in the very few restaurants. Denny's is on site but I would recommend "Coalyard Charlies" about a five minute walk or 1 minute drive from the hotel. It is a decent family restaurant near to the hotel. The town centre of Rome is very dissappointing with nothing to recommend it to the tourist other than the "old west" fort nearby.

• Stayed: July 2005
3  Thank travelpassion
A TripAdvisor Member
Caledonia Ontario Canada
Reviewed July 11, 2005

We stayed at the Quality Inn Rome during the annual Boilermaker Race, July 9/10 2005. The hotel is a bit weathered, but the staff were quite friendly and witty. The pool was nice, and it was saltwater, not clorinated water. It had your basic features, but was not by any means a upscale place. It was your basic, economical place to sleep. A no-frills experience that would cater to university students or those who can sleep anywhere.
The Denny's that is attached to the hotel is fine except for the prices. On the morning of the race, I went down and asked for 3 bananas. The price...$6.21!!! I convinced the manager to knock it down to $4!.
If you are looking for atmosphere, then stay somewhere else. If you are looking to step back in time to the 70's, then come on in!! Thanks to Nadine for courteous and witty service at the front desk!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rome
Wingate by Wyndham Rome
Red Roof Inn Utica
#4 of 13 in Utica
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Verona
Fairfield Inn & Suites Verona

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!